Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Next Gen TS  (Read 15341 times)

Offline Woz955

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Dalkeith
Re: Next Gen TS
« Reply #20 on: 04 August, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »
You tried the usual (unofficial) solutions? Bobbin cleaning and HH pads? 

Yup - discs replaced a couple of months ago - bobbins all cleaned and checked a couple of weeks ago before a 1,000 mile 4 day trip - and vibes that shake the screen under heavy braking back with a vengeance. Bike going in to Two Wheels Edinburgh today so will get them to check the run on the wheel as well. I suspect - as advised elsewhere on this forum - that will be the real problem. Original "fix" was under warranty, so this better be too...

I'll ask and see if they have any chat on the future of the TS...

(Central Scotland's main BMW dealer is two mins walk from me - so there's always the temptation of them if Triumph don't deliver...)
Quattuor quoque rotae quae movet corpus - movent animum duabus rotis

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #21 on: 04 August, 2018, 10:40:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Woz955 [+]
Yup - discs replaced a couple of months ago - bobbins all cleaned and checked a couple of weeks ago before a 1,000 mile 4 day trip - and vibes that shake the screen under heavy braking back with a vengeance. Bike going in to Two Wheels Edinburgh today so will get them to check the run on the wheel as well. I suspect - as advised elsewhere on this forum - that will be the real problem. Original "fix" was under warranty, so this better be too...

I'll ask and see if they have any chat on the future of the TS...

(Central Scotland's main BMW dealer is two mins walk from me - so there's always the temptation of them if Triumph don't deliver...)
if you're reasonably pally with your dealer, you could always urge them to let you try a new front wheel! If that solves the problem, then .....

Other than that, I don't know. Unless your ABS is coming on early for some reason. Never heard of ABS faults, but must be possible ....  :027:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #22 on: 04 August, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ukwes [+]
Interesting that the new BMW has reverted to a tank in the usual position on the model, citing more centre of gravity for the reason....which is why I thought it went under the seat in the first place!
I think it probably is just cheaper to make it that way. I'd love to know designer thinking on petrol tank position - wonder if there are any crash stats suggesting that a petrol tank likely to break free and be thrown clear in any crash is safer than one deeply embedded in the structure of a bike?  :027:  Speculation, but if so, that could be a consideration ...

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #23 on: 04 August, 2018, 11:23:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
Don't forget that the Euro 5 emissions standard is coming at the end of 2019. Lots of bikes bit the dust with Euro 4 and are no more.

No idea how that will fit with this motor, what it will mean is tougher exhaust emissions targets and the adoption of of OBD Stage II (although OBD II is still being debated). Reality will probably mean a new exhaust that weighs a ton. That is of course if the existing bike survives in it's current guise.

Manufacturers are fully aware of Euro 5 and I suspect that from now on any new or updated models won't actually appear on sale until well into 2019.
AFAIK the new speed triple is Euro 5 compliant. The big OBD change is that engines have to be self regulating for emissions. So if your engine is worn and produces higher emissions the bike has to de-tune itself to bring the emissions back in line.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #24 on: 04 August, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]

- at least 60 mpg.
- electronic sensors on the footrest lean indicators.
- a 2-piece seat - so we solo riders can mount bigger carriers instead (i.e take a fridge on the back).

60 mpg is quite easily achieved on the 16 for touring- obviously right hand dependent
Please tell me you are joking about the lean indicators
What about a SWB single seat version for those of us that don't need to carry the fridge?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #25 on: 04 August, 2018, 11:38:23 AM »
What's "OBD Stage II' if you don't mind me asking? (I no longer get the SAE journals so am out of the loop - excuse the awful segue/pun).

Firstly this is not the same as the US system you referred to. In this instance OBD (On Board Diagnostic ) refers to systems that monitor the correct functioning of emission control systems.

With OBD-I (introduced with Euro 4), it only needed to monitor the correct functioning of emissions control systems. The requirement was fairly simple as the sensors only needed to check that the emissions were within a certain range.

However, with OBD-II the performance of components of the emissions control system need to be monitored for degradation. Potential degradation is the key word here. This requires additional sensors, and there is still uncertainty regarding the technical feasibility of some of these sensors. In fact last time I checked (a few months ago) they were still debating it. Not good if you are a manufacturer planning your next bike.

With good intentions OBD-II was proposed back in 2013, however as 2020 approaches what has become clear is that it's not as easy to implement as first thought. Also, there have been some UK studies around cost. It's thought that on it's own it would cost 9 million to implement yet only give 1 million of benefit. Hence the jury is still out.

AFAIK the new speed triple is Euro 5 compliant.

It's certainly Euro 4 compliant, could be wrong but don't remember seeing anything about Euro 5.

Offline Woz955

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Dalkeith
« Reply #26 on: 04 August, 2018, 07:52:43 PM »
So - back to the original post - had a good chat with my local Triumph man this morning when dropping off the vibrator (!).

Based on absolutely nothing concrete, he's pretty much convinced that a revised TS will be announced later this year for 2019 - seeing as it's the only one in the range that hasn't been updated recently. He reckons there's no chance of it being dropped - and that we'll probably see something with the singing and dancing dash and a (hopefully not detuned) Speed Triple engine (though the latter may be more wishful thinking on his part).

I'll probably buy one....

Quattuor quoque rotae quae movet corpus - movent animum duabus rotis

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050 now KTM 1290SAS
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
« Reply #27 on: 04 August, 2018, 08:38:58 PM »
We shall see, could be tempted back if it has a decent power increase
oh and they sort the horrendous wind noise

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #28 on: 05 August, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
60 mpg is quite easily achieved on the 16 for touring- obviously right hand dependent
Please tell me you are joking about the lean indicators
What about a SWB single seat version for those of us that don't need to carry the fridge?
I think a single seat (or rather a removable rear) would suit an awful lot of riders. Plus Trumpet could market a range of alternative options, e.g. longer carrier, forward-mounted topbox, 2nd topbox, etc.

Don't see any objection to the lean-angle sensors? Would be quite useful to know if either had touched down, rather than the present rather agricultural method of grinding away metal.  :027:

Offline rode2rouen

• Tiger Master
  • Triple-licious!
  • Bike/Model: '07 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: N.E. oHIo
« Reply #29 on: 05 August, 2018, 05:00:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Don't see any objection to the lean-angle sensors? Would be quite useful to know if either had touched down, rather than the present rather agricultural method of grinding away metal. 

Just what these bikes need....more electronic crap! 
You can use the "sensors" in your feet to "feel" if you touched down!
I'd rather there was an optional set of titanium bank indicators......lots of sparks when you touch down!

Rex