Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Next Gen TS  (Read 12286 times)

Offline seangee

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Next Gen TS
« on: 02 August, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »
Anyone have any credible info or rumours?

I was in Bulldog at closing time today so had all the sales and tech staff in the same place. They couldn't / wouldn't answer my question officially but suggested that they would be surprised if we saw any more Tigers with a 1050 motor. They weren't happy about it either as the consensus was the lump in the new Speedy was a cracker but they all (personally) prefer the Tiger.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Next Gen TS
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2018, 12:54:13 AM »
Don't know what size the S3 motor is, but the whole industry is working towards smaller (and supposedly more efficient) engines. It's the received wisdom that less cc means greater efficiency, less pollution, more mpg, etc. Presumably that means higher rev limits too.

The fact that it isn't always true by the time a bike gets on the road doesn't really get to influence the designers, who generally like to conform to the latest herd thinking. Witness the rise of the common-rail diesel, and where we are with that today on the NO2 front. So a bike that is as successful with customers as the Tiger 1050 is perceived not to have a future, because it doesn't fit the plan.

This is how customers, and markets, are lost .....  :003:

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2018, 01:38:02 AM »
I'm not sure I agree with the logic. KTM discontinued the 1190 for a 1090 but then added a 1290. The efficiencies are less of an issue than the target market and Triumph either plays in the same pool or wallows out in the swamp. We all come at the problem from extremely limited marketing and sales experience and 'smaller' engines have never proven to be more efficient once technology is factored in. I'm willing to bet on a 1200 engine long before I buy into a smaller lump and bet they can get the numbers they need easily. Opel / Chev are currently offering 1000cc engines that pull like 2L engines but need massive peripherals like turbos, return air feeds, etc. On a bike this is not practical. To keep up with the competition (in this niche) , I think the 1050 is just too small. My KTM is a torque king low down, but can rev like an R1 and run away from them when needed. Triumph are low on power in the (limited) market for a dual sport. Their agricultural offerings that are supposed to challenge the KTM, BMW and Yamaha offerings are just not viable. Quo Vadis? 
When folks ask me how I am, I reply "I'm here". Seems odd until you consider the alternative...

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2018, 03:09:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Anyone have any credible info or rumours?

I was in Bulldog at closing time today so had all the sales and tech staff in the same place. They couldn't / wouldn't answer my question officially but suggested that they would be surprised if we saw any more Tigers with a 1050 motor. They weren't happy about it either as the consensus was the lump in the new Speedy was a cracker but they all (personally) prefer the Tiger.

I was told that the 1050 was history, in 2012, when I was considering a technology upgrade, and the 800 & the 1200 motors were the future.

When the 2013 Sport came out, I told them that they must have been wrong about the 1050. They said no they weren't and the 2013 TS was an interim technology refresh and the engine had no future.

Anyway, after testing the 800 and 1200, I bought an MY18 TS 1050 and no longer pay any attention to what the dealers claim. In my view, the 1200 is noticeably heavier and whilst the power is certainly more, it is not enough more to make it a contender. The 800 is nice and nimble, but just doesn't have enough power to keep me smiling.

If I see a low Ks 2012 Tiger come up, I just might buy it as a forever bike.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Online toopytiger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: '08 Blue
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2018, 04:00:50 AM »
 :460:

The only conclusion I can come to about dealer rumours/opinions is that they either don't know what the manufacturers bigshots are really planning back at company HQ, or they just love to talk BS.  Probably both.  I'm sure they find out before the public but not much before

They've just refreshed the Speed Triple again so the 1050 motor must be still safe for the time being. 
Triumph Centrestand & 3 box panniers.  TOR, dogbone out, Arrow race tune.  MRA screen + spoiler.  GIPro gear indicator.  SWMotech light mount with 3500 Komys.  SWMotech chainguard. Nitron R1.  Hand me down pointy indicators off son's Street Triple.  Would like to respring forks but would need to get divorced first.

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2018, 11:24:41 AM »
I remember having similar discussions back in 2012 when the Mk1 Tiger was discontinued. And when the Sport was released in only some markets, (not in the US :010:), there was rumors that the '13 was a "final edition" model, it was not. Then there were rumors that Triumph was not going to or able to make the 1050 motor Euro 4 compliant, they did. Now I have read that the Euro 5 regs. may kill it, we will see. Still disappointed Triumph did not sell the Sport in the U.S. but we do get SIX versions of the 1200. :087: Hopefully there will be a new version of the Sport with the heavily revised 1050 motor from the current Speed Triple, at least so the rest of the world can enjoy it. :019:
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Puccio

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Cingoli
« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »
An industry insider told me that final styling for the new Sport (injection moulded plastics) will be approved in October.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2018, 12:40:52 PM »
Let's hope they manage to incorporate some important stuff, like:

- a decent front mudguard.
- low-mount (and preferably soft) panniers.
- a bigger battery! Please please please ...  :087:
- more colours ... !  :015:
- at least 60 mpg.
- space under the seat for secure storage.
- bigger and adjustable footrests (so I don't have to buy accessory ones from SW-Motech).
- electronic sensors on the footrest lean indicators.

What would be really wonderful:
- a mid-frame petrol tank (a la Honda NC750), so we finally have secure storage integral to the bike!
- a bigger battery !!!!
 - an LH handlebar mounted hazard-light switch.
- a 2-piece seat - so we solo riders can mount bigger carriers instead (i.e take a fridge on the back).
- more colours .... !

Anything I've missed?    :164:
-

Offline Karolkodo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2013 TS
  • City / Town: Gdansk
« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Anything I've missed?    :164:
-

TFT screen would be acceptable I guess :-) ...anyway, I would mostly love still a combination of analog revs with smaller TFT display...not full TFT like on tiger 800 or 1200..or speed triple
former Yamaha MT-01 (Kodo) rider
...you can call me Charlie
2013 TS, Scorpion Serket exhaust, Wilbers 640 shock

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050 now KTM 1290SAS
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2018, 07:03:03 PM »
Anything Tiger future related is pure speculation at the mo,
your not going to get anything out of dealers at least until there are "spy" shots out there and even then they tend to deny all knowledge,
any big changes are going to coincide with 2020 and Euro 5
so I think this year will be cosmetic (colours/materials) and anything "new" will be end of next year,