Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger Sport 14 Electrical Behaviour  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Re: Tiger Sport 14 Electrical Behaviour
« Reply #20 on: 05 June, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »
I always thought that when you pressed the starter button, it killed the lights.   So they (the lights) come on with the key, go off whilst you're actively trying to start the motor, and then come on again when you release the button.   Is that true or is it just the way it looks because the starter is pulling so much power than the bulbs don't stay on?

I'm sure I've read on here that if the fuse for the lights is blown, you can't start the bike.   So there must be some kind of connection between the lights and the starter circuit.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #21 on: 05 June, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
I always thought that when you pressed the starter button, it killed the lights.   So they (the lights) come on with the key, go off whilst you're actively trying to start the motor, and then come on again when you release the button.   Is that true or is it just the way it looks because the starter is pulling so much power than the bulbs don't stay on?

I'm sure I've read on here that if the fuse for the lights is blown, you can't start the bike.   So there must be some kind of connection between the lights and the starter circuit.

:0461: I thought same anorl.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #22 on: 05 June, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »

That's the way it worked on my 13 Sprint, so most likely same behaviour on the earlier Sports. Don't know about the fuse but they always recommended to remove the headlight fuse while loading a tune so you didn't kill the battery half way through. That's where I found the sidestand mod. All that light turning on and off killed my HID ballasts quite quickly so I wanted to wait until it was running before turning them on in the first place.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #23 on: 05 June, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »

Pretty sure that is the case as (according to the TuneECU guide) when downloading a new map it is recommended to pull the fuse for the lights so you don't drain the battery while the program is connecting to the ECU,
when I recently ran through the setup to check what map I had loaded, I tried to start the bike afterwards but forgot initially to plug the fuse back in - when key was turned didn't get the normal noises (pump priming etc) & it wouldn't start,  :138:
all good once I put the fuse back in  :046:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #24 on: 05 June, 2018, 02:49:48 PM »
It's true that while the starter is turning the headlamp feed is disconnected. This is done on the 13-15 TS by the starter relay being a special one (SPDT - single pole double throw), so that it disconnects the feed to the headlamp relay as it (the starter relay) operates. Triumph have changed the way the system works on the latest TS - because all the relays are simpler on-off ones - but I don't know how they've done it - maybe this extra relay as described in the full original mod described by SeanGee.

I think the old Triumph (and all bikes) system was better - in that you had a separate light switch. But that required you to think - modern systems assume that we are all dummies  :026:

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #25 on: 05 June, 2018, 04:41:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
I think the old Triumph (and all bikes) system was better - in that you had a separate light switch. But that required you to think - modern systems assume that we are all dummies  :026:
I think it has more to do with the nanny state mentality. In a lot of countries it is illegal to ride a bike without lights and I believe that in many of these its illegal to supply a bike with the ability to turn them off. Don't know if this is universal but on the Fazer (which I had at the time) the 02 model had a light switch and the 03 did not.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #26 on: 05 June, 2018, 05:05:30 PM »
That is exactly what it is - EU construction and use regs mandated the use of permanently on headlights in 2003.   Hence the lack of separate light switches for the last 15 years!

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #27 on: 05 June, 2018, 05:21:38 PM »
So why not on cars then? We have a '06 Focus that has a switch for the lights. Also have a '17 Focus that pleases itself what it does, it switches lights on & off when it pleases, wipers anorl whether I want um on or not. Got a mind of its own this one has.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #28 on: 05 June, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »
Its more recent on cars and not as widespread. Some manufacturers have implemented it voluntarily before it becomes mandatory. Cant turn off the DRLs on my cage.
Larger volumes also means that cars are more likely to have country specific software configs

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #29 on: 05 June, 2018, 06:24:21 PM »
Aye m8, twer a Volvo thing when I wer a lad.
Leonardo da Vinci