Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger Sport 14 Electrical Behaviour  (Read 3431 times)

Offline The Berwick Bandit

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Tiger Sport 14 Electrical Behaviour
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2018, 07:51:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Well, due to shortage of time, I carried out the sidestand switch mod, and lo, it works!   :152:

So disconnected the earth wire (Blk)  from the underside of the headlamp relay, and ran a new wire from there down to the sidestand switch connector (red/black). The sidestand switch connects an earth through to the ECU to stop you selecting a gear when engine is running and the sidestand is down (cuts the motor).

With the mod, the sidestand when down breaks the earth connection, so the headlamps stay off. As soon as you raise the sidestand, the earth is connected through to the headlamp relay, and the headlamps come on. A beautifully simple solution, IMO.

Simce there's no real current involved, the switch can also handle the control of the headlamp relay. I was concerned about the failsafe aspect, however since if there ever was a problem with the switch, you would have no ignition either, I think it's fairly safe.

AFAIK, this mod works only for the 13-15 Tiger Sports. I don't think the T1050 has a headlamp relay, and I understand that the problem has been solved with the latest TSs, which don't illuminate the headlamps until after the engine has started. NB. If this is correct, would love to know how they've done it - maybe a software change in the ECU?

Thanks again to SeanGee for finding out about the mod.  :028:
Well there's a nice little job for Saturday morning  :490:
" You buy cheap ! you buy twice "
White 2014 1050 sport, Maxton , SC Projects high level carbon, Ventura luggage, Motobatt 16h. Power commander V, custom map.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2018, 08:16:57 AM »
In case you're wondering how it works on the 16 they are turned on when you press and release the starter button.  So if you stall or fail to start at the first attempt your lights stay on.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2018, 09:13:15 AM »
Is this all getting around a problem instead of curing it?

There must be a fault or we'd all have the same issue. Likely sumert simple anorl, just tracing the fecka innit.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2018, 09:43:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]

There must be a fault or we'd all have the same issue. Likely sumert simple anorl, just tracing the fecka innit.

To cure such a design fault, would need a great deal of time and effort.

Looks like an effective workaround to me  :028:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:09:52 AM »

Probably - but in the old days we had a switch.

Paullie - did you take pics? I reckon the howto is a good candidate for a sticky  :158:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
To cure such a design fault, would need a great deal of time and effort.

Looks like an effective workaround to me  :028:

If it was a design fault, wouldn't we all be suffering? My Sprint1050 & TS1050 have had none of these problems, 10 years without buying a battery. The headlights on with ignition has been a trumpet design since at least 2005 afaik.

People have an issue with their bike & say it's a design fault, why? Could well be a faulty component or an assembly line issue, get that with anything.
A design fault is like Kawasaki chocolate cams, Suzuki GSXR frames snapping, Honda reg/rec's is a fine example, they got around that by buying them off Ducati. Triumph have had several design faults along the way, like weak sprags if low battery on early 900's, plastic fuel connections on 955i's, suspension linkage on ST1050's, sure there's more???
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #16 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:23:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Probably - but in the old days we had a switch.

And Magneto ignition, no battery required, oh for the good ol' days eh m8. Prince of darkness do yer worst, we still got home.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #17 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Paullie - did you take pics? I reckon the howto is a good candidate for a sticky  :158:

I did think about a 'How to', but this mod is only valid for the 13-15 TS, and I don't know how many such owners are on this forum. In any case I'll post up a couple of pics shortly.

All connections soldered, of course. I should say that the underside of the headlamp relay is quite tricky, as there's only a short piece of wire to work with and these are fine wires, so little room for mistakes. I'd recommend you only undertake this mod if you're confident with electronics and a small soldering iron.

Why is it necessary? I still think that there's an excessive current draw in my system somewhere (witness the strong spark at battery terminal when it's been disconnected for a while, which is pretty dangerous I reckon. That in itself suggests there's something drawing current even when ignition off!). I want to get to the bottom of that, and should the headlamp circuit draw around 7A anyway.

But the sidestand mod is an immediate solution that will hopefully stop me being let down on the road by stressing the battery less at startup. Keeping the headlamps off until started increases the ability of a discharged battery to have enough oomph to turn over the motor more than once. It is a workaround, but if it works, then great, I've always been a pragmatist.  :002:

Interesting that the latest TS headlamps switch on only after operating the starter. It sounds like Triumph actually implemented the full mod as first suggested by SeanGee. However, as noted, if it doesn't start at first go, then the headlamps are on and you're draining the battery.

At the end of the day, I do think Triumph should plan for a bigger battery in the TS. Looking at mine, I can see it would be possible to slightly deepen the under-seat tray enough to fit an 18 series battery, or even twin YTZ14s-BS batteries in parallel. If I had a spare tray and some fibreglass sheet, I could have a go myself, but would also have to radically cut and extend the main wiring harness, so really a job for someone with lots of time.

« Last Edit: 05 June, 2018, 11:33:37 AM by Paullie »

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #18 on: 05 June, 2018, 11:09:53 AM »
If it was a design fault, wouldn't we all be suffering?

Fair enough Paul. I just never liked the fact that most bikes have the lights drawing power, before the engine has started  :112:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #19 on: 05 June, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
Fair enough Paul. I just never liked the fact that most bikes have the lights drawing power, before the engine has started  :112:

Aye m8, seems a daft idea to put a big draw on the system but it's not given me a problem......yet. Maybe there's a logical answer why they did it, eg create a bit of heat in the battery or burn off excess from a just off charger 13.7v. I dunno, mebbe some electrical oik can tell us if there's sumert technical to it, or was it just the easiest way of lights permanently on.
Leonardo da Vinci