Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: '07 Tiger 1050 - light touring needs  (Read 2230 times)

slartidbartfast and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Wcwilson

• Tiger Member
'07 Tiger 1050 - light touring needs
« on: 17 May, 2018, 01:55:23 PM »
With my kids getting older I will finally have more time to ride and have been trying to get my bike into shape so that I can do some actual trips on this bike. In the riding I was doing this spring I was coming back sore and was not enjoying the rides as much as I remember the rides when I was younger riding my K75S. I started considering  purchasing a different bike, but first thought I should try to make the bike I have more comfortable and see if that will do it  for me. After tons of research on the forums I fitted my bike with a Madstad windscreen and got some 30mm bar risers. The former made a big difference for me, no more buffeting and it keeps the bugs off my visor. The jury is out on the second, I am not sure of that make a difference or not yet. Part of my soreness just could be because I am older now and I need to build up some endurance. This bike already had a Corbin seat  (Canyon Dual Sport with backrest) so I think I have the comfortable seat covered.

I am hoping that my wife will enjoy some two-up riding like she did before we had kids. Of course she is now more worried about the risk of this activity than she was was before we had kids, but as long as she is comfortable and has fun on our rides, I think she will get over that.

The one remaining piece of this puzzle, I believe, is having a place to put our stuff. This is true for some light touring, or even if I need to stop for a few items at the grocery store. I need some luggage. My understanding is the the OEM panniers do not hold much and may not be worth the cost (unless I find them cheap on eBay I guess - so far nothing on this side of the pond although I saw multiple options in the UK). As far as aftermarket, it looks like there are a few options for the adventure type boxes, but for "sporty" looking options there is just Givi.

The adventure boxes (Trekker Outback and Trax) look the most functional, but I would feel like a bit of a poser putting these on an '07 Tiger, which IMO is not truly and adventure bike. It would be like putting brush guards on my Honda Pilot which I use mostly for taking my daughter to school. If I stick with Givi here (as I know they have a reasonably-priced mount for many monokey cases), this would mean the newer Trekker Outback series, probably Black to match my black bike, or the original Trekker (looking a little less "adventury"). Can't decide if I should go for a bigger left than right to make up for the exhaust or not- not sure what looks most out of balance. The Trax looks as nice if not better, but the combination or the more expensive mounting hardware and more expensive bags costs more than I would like to spend on this not knowing how much I will actually use them.

Givi also has the V35 and the E41. I believe both of these will fit on the monokey mount I can get for this bike. Unlike the OEM "sporty" panniers, left and right would have the same capacity but might look a little out of balance because of the exhaust. I know some people on the forum have these. Can you fit a full-face helmet in either? Do they look out of balance? Happy with them?

Since I am coming from nothing and don't really know how much I will need them, it would probably be overkill to get a top box right away. Theoretically I could get just a top box and no panniers to start, but I think the back rest on my seat would get in the way of the top box (although I could take off the backrest and have a back rest added to the box, but I am not crazy how the bike looks with just a top box. I guess I could take it off when I don;t need it easily enough though.

I know this topic has been done to death probably, but any advice? I have not been able to pull the trigger and would appreciate some feedback from people that have done this already.

Also, anything else i should do to my Tiger to make touring more enjoyable?

Thanks,

--Wayne

« Last Edit: 17 May, 2018, 01:59:27 PM by Wcwilson »

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: '07 Tiger 1050 - light touring needs
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
I think you'll find a better aftermarket rear shock will make a difference, for your security as well as your behind! Better control over the bumps.

And I wouldn't worry about looks too much for panniers - it's about what works for you. SW-Motech do some rather nice soft panniers now - they look a bit like larger versions of the rolltop cycle panniers. I have the standard panniers already, but have been considering a pair of these.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2018, 09:12:31 PM »
All depnds what you're gonna do. Mine's set up so's me & missus can go off on camping hols. It came with panniers but ya canna got owt in um. These are Trax 37/45 with a 52L Givi trekker topbox.

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Wcwilson

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2018, 10:04:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
All depnds what you're gonna do. Mine's set up so's me & missus can go off on camping hols. It came with panniers but ya canna got owt in um. These are Trax 37/45 with a 52L Givi trekker topbox.

Nice looking setup. I think I could have fit everything I owned in those boxes when I was in the Army.

Do your wife's legs touch the side bags when you are riding?

And what tank bag do you have? It looks like it fits well on your Tiger.
« Last Edit: 17 May, 2018, 10:13:06 PM by Wcwilson »

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2018, 07:29:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Wcwilson [+]
Nice looking setup. I think I could have fit everything I owned in those boxes when I was in the Army.

Do your wife's legs touch the side bags when you are riding?

And what tank bag do you have? It looks like it fits well on your Tiger.

The missus has never complained. Only that she hasn't got enough clothes.

The tank bag is a SW Motech city bag.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Pro
  • MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is a thing innit?
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
The missus has never complained. Only that she hasn't got enough clothes.

Do what I did, get yer missus her own bike. then she has to carry her own gear, she'll soon work out what NOT to pack..  :008:
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline Megaross

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 '07
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
I can attest to the trekker outbacks being flipping awesome - I've got them on my bandit (which believe it or not is pretty bloody good on the dirt) and I'm planning on getting givi racks for my tiger to swap them as needed.

The OEM topbox is an improvement from the last gen in that it doesn't leak like a sieve, but a massive downgrade in capacity. Can barely fit one helmet in it let alone 2. I imagine the OEM panniers are just as useless.

Don't actually know if you can fit a helmet in the panniers as I always put mine in the topbox.
« Last Edit: 18 May, 2018, 12:08:45 PM by Megaross »

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2018, 01:26:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Megaross [+]
I can attest to the trekker outbacks being flipping awesome - I've got them on my bandit (which believe it or not is pretty bloody good on the dirt) and I'm planning on getting givi racks for my tiger to swap them as needed.

The OEM topbox is an improvement from the last gen in that it doesn't leak like a sieve, but a massive downgrade in capacity. Can barely fit one helmet in it let alone 2. I imagine the OEM panniers are just as useless.

Don't actually know if you can fit a helmet in the panniers as I always put mine in the topbox.
No you cant! OEM panniers will not fit an open face let alone a standard lid  :110:  :110:  :110:  :110:,

Lid will fit in my GIVI top box but only just  :087:

Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Megaross

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 '07
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »
Same with mine though that may be down to it being an XXL "Melon Head Special"

Offline Wcwilson

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »
Does anyone have the Givi  V35 or E41 on their Tiger? Can a helmet fit in them? How do you like them?