Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Anyone used JMT batteries?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Anyone used JMT batteries?
« on: 11 May, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
Standard lead / acid ones.

Late yesterday afternoon I got an email to say the battery which was supposed to arrive yesterday was out of stock and would be with me in 2 weeks. Planning some rides this weekend that will be a lot of stop start so the only way I could have one in time is to go to a shop locally. Was planning to fit a Yuasa YTX14H-BS instead of the OE YTX14-BS which only survived 18 months. Phoned around and nobody local has stock. One shop had the JMT equivalent. The guy told me its a German brand and sells far better than the Yuasa and is as good if not better (yes alright I do realise he was a salesman  :002:).

Its in the bike now. Perfect match for size and fitting and can confirm the printing on the box and battery is all in German. Figured at 50 quid it was worth the punt on getting the high capacity cheaper than the OE (which everybody has stock of). If I'm not back on here complaining about batteries within the next 2 years it was a good shout  :123:

Interesting side note. The guys at Bulldog said they were trialling an Li battery in one of their bikes and would I like them to order me one.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Anyone used JMT batteries?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2018, 04:37:10 PM »
Don't know anything about JMT, sorry. Varta, yes!

Be good to know from Bulldog what the LI battery is like on a few cold morning starts ...

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »
Only experience of JMT is with a Li Battery I bought a couple of years back, guy in the shop assured me it would be fine in cold weather, he lied, first zero temp day and no start. I did get it to start eventually by "Waking" the battery up with a tip from the internet. Involved ignition on and headlamps on for 2 minutes.
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2019, 11:06:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Only experience of JMT is with a Li Battery I bought a couple of years back, guy in the shop assured me it would be fine in cold weather, he lied, first zero temp day and no start. I did get it to start eventually by "Waking" the battery up with a tip from the internet. Involved ignition on and headlamps on for 2 minutes.
Old thread I know but as its that time of year...
He's right never trust a salesman. Fine through summer and then half way through December (before it got cold) it stopped holding a charge for a full weekend. Only happened once as I ride most days so I thought it was a blip (remember my post about possibly getting it wet). Tried to start a couple of days ago and no joy. Knowing I need the bike tomorrow I put it on charge. Went in to try today and as soon as I touched the starter the voltage dropped from 13.1 to 6. Store has confirmed they will honour the guarantee subject to testing. Told them I wasn't prepared to take the chance and would use up the credit in their store but fitting a YTX14H-BS tomorrow.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2019, 11:29:06 PM »
The Yuasa should solve it. But if it doesn't, then something is causing a massive current draw. You've already got the improved starter motor, but I don't think anyone mentioning starter probs has ever had a good look at the starter solenoid. We've all taken in for granted, but maybe worth a closer look if the new batt doesn't solve it. Wonder if anyone has taken one apart?

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:44:15 AM »
Also a bit unusual for the OE battery to only last 18 months. My OE one will be 5 year old, come April. Kept in a cold garage, gets an overnight on the tender every week or two in winter.

S'pose we're bound to get the odd bad'n.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Also a bit unusual for the OE battery to only last 18 months. My OE one will be 5 year old, come April. Kept in a cold garage, gets an overnight on the tender every week or two in winter.

S'pose we're bound to get the odd bad'n.
Yes it is at the back of my mind. Taking it to the dealer today to test both battery and starter once I get the  :232: going. Sent SWMBO off to get jump leads yesterday. Came home to find a pair of massive heavy duty leads and can't make decent contact on the bike battery or the cars well hidden LI battery. In the old days I would have just disconnected the bike battery, attached it to the car battery and then swapped batteries once the engine was running - but nervous about doing that with all the modern electrickery that's prone to frying. Also had 4 goes at bump starting but its a heavy old lump and my drive is short and steep, also the bike hasn't been used in a week. Discovered my roadside assistance doesn't cover me at home so now waiting for dealer to call so I can collect new battery and hope that's the end of it.

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2019, 12:37:00 PM »
My first, (OEM YTX12-BS), battery lasted only a few weeks, The next two, (YTZ14S), made it 5 years each.  I use the battery tender a couple time a week during the riding season and leave it plugged in during winter hibernation.  I think part of the issue with the first one may have been how it was first put into service, there is a procedure and if rushed might have a shortened life. Although my OEM YTX12-BS probably was just a dud. Most AGM batteries are shipped dry with a specific sized acid pack, (the YTZ is filled at the factory). The acid pack is added to the battery and allowed to absorb for about 1 hour before the sealing strip is installed. It is then charged at the rate specified by the manufacturer or battery's AH rating, many home type battery tenders/chargers only have one rate and that may be too low. The one at Hamlin's shop is a large multi battery charge rig designed for this procedure. The initial charge can take 6 to 8 hours and I'm guessing most shops don't take the time to do it correctly.  Most motorcycle shops and dealers store the batteries dry until needed. I'm trying a Shorai LiFe battery in my Tiger now, the one in my Street Triple is six years old and holding up well but doesn't seem to be as hard on batteries as the Tiger. I do carry a small booster pack that can jump start a motorcycle, it is smaller than most and easy to stow away in a tank bag or top box. Only had to use it once on a friend's Speed Triple, worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DVSSCG6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01DVSSCG6&pd_rd_w=Cmtwl&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=Zyvx4&pf_rd_r=MAMBVEAYYCRE4TSKENW3&pd_rd_r=bab285cf-1015-11e9-8849-9b7691bdd02e

Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2019, 05:00:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by gosling 1 [+]
I think part of the issue with the first one may have been how it was first put into service, there is a procedure and if rushed might have a shortened life. Although my OEM YTX12-BS probably was just a dud. Most AGM batteries are shipped dry with a specific sized acid pack, (the YTZ is filled at the factory). The acid pack is added to the battery and allowed to absorb for about 1 hour before the sealing strip is installed.
Interesting. Dealer said he was expecting my battery in at noon. I phoned at 1:30 and he said yes its on charge - be ready in half an hour. YTX14H-BS now in and started first time. Took it back to the dealer who checked the starter motor, charging and current draw and everything appears ok. Dash voltmeter reads a steady 14.1 when I'm riding.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2019, 05:07:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Interesting. Dealer said he was expecting my battery in at noon. I phoned at 1:30 and he said yes its on charge - be ready in half an hour. YTX14H-BS now in and started first time. Took it back to the dealer who checked the starter motor, charging and current draw and everything appears ok. Dash voltmeter reads a steady 14.1 when I'm riding.

:047: All's good in yer world  :031:
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci