Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Pilot Road 5's  (Read 32287 times)

Online R3morf3R

• Tiger Master
  • HP and torque enamoured fool... Famous last words.
  • Bike/Model: TS17, now an S1000XR
  • City / Town: Leuven (Brussels)
Re: Michelin Pilot Road 5's
« Reply #170 on: 27 September, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
At 7.5K my front looks slightly worse than the 4 at the same stage but feels much better. I always changed the 4s between 8&9K even though there was plenty of tread. The rear looks almost new.

7.5K's sounds good to me. Since I got the XR, I've been checking out the related forum regularly.
Over there, they state an average of about 3K or less with a set of tires. I don't know if it's the motorcycle or the users, but boy that is miles away from the figures you are stating for the Tiger. Figures I can confirm with my own Tiger Sport.
Maybe the guys with the XR are driving without traction control all the time or the straight four engine brings out the hooligan in them all the time. I know it does in me, to be quite honest. I wonder how long my Pirelli Diablo Rosso II will last. I will most definitely change them to Road 5's again. May actually do that before they wear out, as I don't trust the Pirelli's in the rain and the cold. I find them to be very hard and slippery in those conditions, but that's just my personal opinion.

All the best,

RM
« Last Edit: 27 September, 2019, 11:29:49 AM by R3morf3R »

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #171 on: 27 September, 2019, 03:19:02 PM »
How about this then, cant believe what Im about to type. Its been years since Ive only changed a rear out, sometimes there was a bit left on the front but not enough to worry about so changed the pair. My rear tyre went west about 4k miles ago but the front looked so good I left it on.

I wont go into detail but for certain reasons had a pair of new tyres put on yesterday for a forthcoming trip, but the front TA3 still seems to refuse to die, here is a pic, this tyre has done 10k miles on a 1290 KTM.

Combine this with the fact that the Front pads have done nearly 14k and also look hardly worn and my only conclusion is that the engine braking is so good (Which it is), that Im not using the Front brakes as much
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #172 on: 27 September, 2019, 03:24:54 PM »
....and the tyre wear, or lack of, can be due to the front wheel not spending too much time in contact with the road  :745:
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R, 2010 Street Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes, and a Yamaha TDR250 for investment fun

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #173 on: 28 September, 2019, 08:40:04 AM »
Can someone refresh me on the best place to get a new set of PR5s fitted (price/service) ?
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #174 on: 28 September, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
Can someone refresh me on the best place to get a new set of PR5s fitted (price/service) ?

Where are you these days?    I always use FWR in Kennington (fairly central London) -  but if you are in Auckland thats not much use to you!

I might be thinking of someone else but didnt you say you were returning to the UK a while back?

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #175 on: 28 September, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
Where are you these days?    I always use FWR in Kennington (fairly central London) -  but if you are in Auckland thats not much use to you!

I might be thinking of someone else but didnt you say you were returning to the UK a while back?
He has been back in the UK for a few months now, probably should change his location from NZ to somewhere near Aylesbury  :084:
There are a few places near you YD, Paullie has just been to Milton common motorcycles for a set fitted, dunno how much it was  :027:
You could try d-tech in postcombe, about 2 miles before Milton common on the A40 or PGB motorcycles in High Wycombe, Pete at PGB has fitted several tyres for me  :028: you will get good service from all 3 I mentioned.
If you want to get the tyres cheaper on line Oponeo is probably the cheapest, I paid 211 for a pair in February and got them fitted locally for 15 a wheel as I took the wheels in the car.
I was quoted between275 and 310 supplied and fitted so up to you mate  :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #176 on: 28 September, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »
I paid 320 fitted for a pair fitted at Milton Common, but they were GTs, so a bit more. In any case, I trust the guy there as have watched him work.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #177 on: 28 September, 2019, 10:01:09 PM »
FWR have a pair of Road 5 GTs in our sizes up for 259 inc free delivery...   you do then have to get them fitted of course, but if you take loose wheels in they do that for free.   Otherwise it's 30 for ride in, ride out service on both wheels.

Normally I just arrange to start work at 10, and rock up to FWR at 0830 when they open.   First or second in the queue, while they're working on it I spend 30 minutes in the cafe up the road (which is a good one).   Get to work with time to spare, well fed, and with fresh boots on the bike.

Offline Cloudy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Gordonton
« Reply #178 on: 24 November, 2019, 11:19:58 PM »
Well, I've worn out my first set of Road 5's and have to say they have simply been brilliant in any conditions that have been thrown at them. Been on the bike 11 months and they did 15,211 km. Sides of the front worn below the wear bars, the rear flush with them in the center and same about half way over on them towards the sides. I ride reasonably hard ( not as crazy as I used to though), I have slight chicken strips and I'm ok with that, ain't got nothing to prove anymore. The grip though at any angle has been outstanding. With the wear being all over the place on them a very noticeable weave had developed in the last 1000 k's, so after this last weekends riding the wheels have come off and are in being fitted with nice new even one's.
Can't recommend these tires enough. I love em! $485.00 NZ fitted to the rim's. Pretty good deal that for NZ. Boyd Motorcycles are the place to go.
07 Tiger 1050, K&N Air Filter, Snorkel Removed, Storm GP Low Level Exhaust, 20551 Map, NGK Iridium Plugs, Ricks R/R, Ohlins Rear Shock, Ohlins Front Springs, Bar End Mirrors, LED Spots, Leather Seat Cover, Ebay Levers, Ebay Risers, Custom Bars.

Offline colcol

• Tiger Member
  • City / Town: caloundra
« Reply #179 on: 25 November, 2019, 01:26:06 AM »
15000ks
I am having my 3rd set put on this week i got 9500 out of this set
But agree great tyres