Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Pilot Road 5's  (Read 26580 times)

Offline johnv

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Pukekohe
Re: Michelin Pilot Road 5's
« Reply #180 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:54:41 AM »
Just had a pair of Road 5s fitted yesterday, first time for me, always just stuck with the Angel GTs with last couple of bikes.
Gotta say very pleasently surprised, much smoother riding, don't feel all the little bumps through the tyres like the angels, holds its line very well, turns in and changes direction effertlessly. very confidence enspiring.
Did a suspension setup ride day with Dave Moss last year, very happy with handling and tyre wear improvements.
« Last Edit: 16 February, 2020, 07:56:13 AM by johnv »

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #181 on: 18 February, 2020, 10:31:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by johnv [+]
Just had a pair of Road 5s fitted yesterday, first time for me, always just stuck with the Angel GTs with last couple of bikes.
Gotta say very pleasently surprised, much smoother riding, don't feel all the little bumps through the tyres like the angels, holds its line very well, turns in and changes direction effertlessly. very confidence enspiring.
Did a suspension setup ride day with Dave Moss last year, very happy with handling and tyre wear improvements.

Nice chatting to you at the gas station. Not a moment to soon from the look of your rear hoop.
I just fitted a new road 5 on the front today myself in prep for the trip next week.
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - Nitron R2 Shock, Revalved forks with Ohlins spings/Oil,  SC-Project Carbon (at times), Radguard, Re-Trimmed seat, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech City Evo Tank Bag, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand,  Ventura rear rack.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #182 on: 18 February, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »
Skipping through this thread, sounds like the R5's aint a lot better than the PR4's and do approx. 2/3's of the mileage.

My 2nd set of 4's have only done 5k, so ok for another year at least. Mebbe some R6's out by then if folk have give um enough grief about the mileage.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #183 on: 18 February, 2020, 09:23:02 PM »
My front hit the pips at around 9k and I changed it. Still felt rock solid (it was winter). I changed my last 2 4s at 9k, they hadn't reached the pips but were wandering all over the road.

With the 4s I changed the rears at the same time because they were close to the pips and feeling a bit wobbly. Didn't bother this time because there was a lot of tread left over. Still have it on at almost 11k, still shy of the pips and still feels rock solid.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #184 on: 18 February, 2020, 09:37:21 PM »
Same as me.   R5 front wore out well before the rear - in fact I think I changed the front in August, the rear is still on although very low tread now.   Will get it done in a week or so.   The R5 front wore out earlier than the PR4 did, but the R5 rear is harder wearing.   Bear in mind I do the same journey every day so its easy to compare.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #185 on: 18 February, 2020, 10:23:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
The R5 front wore out earlier than the PR4 did
Well mine did in terms of amount of rubber - but the more worn R5 still felt better in the road than the less worn PR4, so I ended up changing at exactly the same mileage.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #186 on: 19 February, 2020, 01:03:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
...... I changed my last 2 4s at 9k, they hadn't reached the pips but were wandering all over the road.

Had the same experience with my RP4s in the last 1000 miles or so (they'd reached 9.5K), the front especially made the bike feel really unstable, despite appearing OK - although it was worn noticeably unevenly.

Have Road 5s on now. They seem fabulous by comparison, but still too new to give a definitive view.

Offline johnv

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Pukekohe
« Reply #187 on: 22 February, 2020, 07:04:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by jkd102 [+]
Nice chatting to you at the gas station. Not a moment to soon from the look of your rear hoop.
I just fitted a new road 5 on the front today myself in prep for the trip next week.

Yes always good to chat to a fellow Tiger owner.
Yes they thought the cracking on the rear Angel GT was over heating, only appeared to be in an area of the case where it was at its thinest.
Very happy with the Road 5s, be interesting to see how they go long term.
Got the bike booked in at the dealer to check front disc's (warped again) , they seem to think they will be able to put in a good will waranty claim, as the discs have only done 7000 km since they were last replaced.
fingers crossed on that one, and will definately look at EBC pads this time around.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #188 on: 28 February, 2020, 09:43:52 AM »
Had the rear Road5 changed at last - must have done over 12k on it.   Had a puncture (bit of glass where the tread was worn down really thin) so plugged it with my trusty stop'n'go kit which kept me going a day or so until I could get to the tyre place.    Went for another R5, they seem to suit me and my riding pretty well.   I've got 58k miles on it now and it must be on it's 6th set of tyres.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #189 on: 28 February, 2020, 10:27:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
Had the rear Road5 changed at last - must have done over 12k on it.   Had a puncture (bit of glass where the tread was worn down really thin) so plugged it with my trusty stop'n'go kit which kept me going a day or so until I could get to the tyre place.    Went for another R5, they seem to suit me and my riding pretty well.   I've got 58k miles on it now and it must be on it's 6th set of tyres.

You got about same as the PR4's then. Brill mileage when you think how good they are.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci