Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Pilot Road 5's  (Read 18274 times)

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Re: Michelin Pilot Road 5's
« Reply #160 on: 13 August, 2019, 10:56:10 PM »
Bit of an update - had to fit a new front tyre on Friday last week.   A bit disappointed with the life, I must admit I can't remember exactly what the mileage was when it went on, but I do a fairly reliable 12000 miles a year, and it was fitted as one of a pair last October.   So definitely less life from an R5 front that the previous two pairs of PR4s that were on there, all of which survived a full year and wore out both together.

The rear, however, still has a fair bit of life in it.   It's clearly not looking new any more but I reckon there's at least 3k of life left in it with my riding pattern, so I only changed the front.

Grip was still fine and it didn't move around on bumps, banding etc in the road, whereas the PR4s were quite bad for that when they got worn.   However on the right-hand-side of the tyre, which gets more wear because of roundabouts, it was right down to the wear markers in the tread.   I didn't fancy risking a heavy fine and 3pts, so I got a new one, another R5.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #161 on: 25 September, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
Well as I sit here looking out at the rain, I'm glad I'm not on the bike now. But I was this morning, and went and got some Michelin Road 5 GTs fitted (from that excellent place Milton Common Motorcycles - he knows Triumphs inside out). I've just come back from a thousand mile tour round the north of England and Scotland, where I had brilliant weather, but last Sunday I had to return south through the first real rain, and the back tyre was distinctly twitchy at speed - I think it was acquaplaning.

The old tyres were PR4s, and they lasted about 9,500 miles which isn't bad, I reckon. Even so, for most of this trip the front was twitching around all the time and wouldn't hold any kind of line, so at 9.5 K it was time to replace, I thought.

Went for the R5 GTs because before the PR4s, the bike came with PR4 GTs, and I felt the PR4s were a bit 'squirmy' by comparison, though soon got used to them. But most of my longer journeys are loaded up on motorways, so the increased rigidity of the reinforced GTs should be better.

They must be more rigid, because I could hear the mech cursing as he tried to get the 180 rear onto the rim.  :002:  Anyway, they're still too new to make any judgement, but I think I'll be happy with em.
« Last Edit: 25 September, 2019, 03:50:23 PM by Paullie »

Offline Fearny

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: tiger sport 1050
  • City / Town: Thrybergh
« Reply #162 on: 25 September, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »
wow i think 9.5k is awesome for wear / longevity, did they square off any with alot of motorway  miles?

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #163 on: 25 September, 2019, 04:30:46 PM »
The rear was starting to square off a bit, but only in the last week or so at the end of its life. I was pretty shocked when the mech removed the rear tyre and showed me just how thin the tyre was getting in the centre of the tread. Compared to the shoulders you could push it in or out with your finger, and this was still not at the wear limits.

More importantly probably, the front probably could have done another 1500 miles or so, but the wear patterns were very irregular - with cupping and ridges all over the place. That was what was causing the poor handling.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #164 on: 25 September, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »
Not bad Paullie, noticed that the front Road 5 on mine is getting low and following the ruts etc , so will change it very soon.
Fitted a pair at 54k in February/march , got a puncture in the rear at 61k and Simon at Milton common fitted me a new PR4  :152:
I am only doing 54 miles a day now instead of 98, since I changed jobs in August  :152:
My clocks are saying I'm on 68,300 miles so that's 14300 miles for the front with a good 500 miles left on the tread.  :047: anyone beat that
Rear has done 7k
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #165 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:50:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermike [+]
Not bad Paullie, noticed that the front Road 5 on mine is getting low and following the ruts etc , so will change it very soon.
Fitted a pair at 54k in February/march , got a puncture in the rear at 61k and Simon at Milton common fitted me a new PR4  :152:
I am only doing 54 miles a day now instead of 98, since I changed jobs in August  :152:
My clocks are saying I'm on 68,300 miles so that's 14300 miles for the front with a good 500 miles left on the tread.  :047: anyone beat that
Rear has done 7k
Hey Tigermike are your front brakes working ...?  :002:

But you're running an R5 on the front and a PR4 on the rear? How's the bike balance? if you're doing mostly motorway miles still, you could try the GTs. I won't know whether I made the right choice for a year or two now.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #166 on: 25 September, 2019, 10:23:29 PM »
At 7.5K my front looks slightly worse than the 4 at the same stage but feels much better. I always changed the 4s between 8&9K even though there was plenty of tread. The rear looks almost new. Had my MOT on the weekend and no advisory, didn't even mention the tyres so I'll change the front when it starts tracking irrespective of tread. I'm back in London 2 days a week so I spend a lot of time riding on sub-optimal surfaces and hammering the brakes  :005: - although not as much when it was 5 days a week.

I have a new rear in the garage waiting to go on (thanks Fossil) - but I am expecting the rear to last a good bit longer than the front. This is normal for me although in the past I have always changed both once the front goes off. No signs of squaring but I have spent a lot of time unemployed and riding properly over the summer rather than commuting.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #167 on: 25 September, 2019, 10:35:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Hey Tigermike are your front brakes working ...?  :002:

But you're running an R5 on the front and a PR4 on the rear? How's the bike balance? if you're doing mostly motorway miles still, you could try the GTs. I won't know whether I made the right choice for a year or two now.
Brakes are working well. No noticable difference in balance  ( to me anyway) , I am riding A and B roads to the A43 near jct 10 M40 then up the A43 to towcester so mostly short stretches of good A road between 7 roundabouts and she goes round them nice and smooth and fast ...I mean within the speed limit officer 🚓🚔😁
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #168 on: 25 September, 2019, 10:40:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermike [+]
Brakes are working well. No noticable difference in balance  ( to me anyway) , I am riding A and B roads to the A43 near jct 10 M40 then up the A43 to towcester so mostly short stretches of good A road between 7 roundabouts and she goes round them nice and smooth and fast ...I mean within the speed limit officer 🚓🚔😁
I believe you. I always stuck to the speed limit on that stretch too  :164:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #169 on: 26 September, 2019, 12:48:52 PM »
You have to keep to the speed limit on the stretch between brackley and towcester especially just before the Green Man pub , don't want to be caught by the speed camera there 👎 even if its facing towards you 🙄