Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Pilot Road 5's  (Read 12921 times)

Offline Theroadwarrior

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Springfield
Michelin Pilot Road 5's
« on: 25 April, 2018, 10:54:09 PM »
So after almost 10k my Pilot Road 4's are down to the wear bars on the back and squaring off, and the front has an air leak around 10lbs over 5-7 days.

To compound my tire problem I am doing a track day May 12th at Hallett Speedway in Oklahoma. In researching the Pilot Road 5's vs. the Road 4's. Revzilla has the Pilot Road 5's for $194 and 153$ and $196 and $155 for the 4's.

I called a local shop and found them for $415 for everything out the door.

I will update on how they perform, I'm hoping the new suspension helps extend tire life also since the new Wilbur 641 was mounted its at 54k now will update with initial impression and feel when they get mounted
1980 Suzuki GS1000G
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
Re: Michelin Pilot Road 5's
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2018, 03:15:52 AM »
WOW - I had no idea they had moved on to PR 5s.

They have a serious reputation to live up to and I didn't see how the 4s, that I bought, could be any better, as they were certainly an improvement on the 2s and 3s.

I am with their main competition now, however I will follow with interest  :169:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2018, 05:34:32 AM »
Think they have dropped the "Pilot" moniker.  In the UK anyway they are now known just as "Road 5"
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Snozzeltoff

• Tiger Pro
  • Video Games, Bikes, Bike racing.
  • Bike/Model: 1050->Now KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »
I'm still on Road 2's - Loved these when they came out and have stuck with them ever since. Can still buy them new too, fitted a fresh set last year, cost me 159 for the pair, cant complain at that.
I'm sure the road 4's and 5's are great but at 2-3 times the price I'll stick with the 2's for now.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Snozzeltoff [+]
I'm still on Road 2's - Loved these when they came out and have stuck with them ever since. Can still buy them new too, fitted a fresh set last year, cost me 159 for the pair, cant complain at that.
I'm sure the road 4's and 5's are great but at 2-3 times the price I'll stick with the 2's for now.

That's where they got the great name from for handling/longevity, they still make them? Can't be old stock surely. What's date on um?
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2018 BlackTiger Sport
  • City / Town: Newbury
« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2018, 09:11:11 AM »
I've watched some reviews on YouTube and the wet braking on worn Road 5's against new R4's  is very impressive and has some interesting features.
Too old to die young!

Offline Snozzeltoff

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2018, 09:46:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
That's where they got the great name from for handling/longevity, they still make them? Can't be old stock surely. What's date on um?
When I bought them last year, about June/July, the manufacturing date on them was in Jan/February that year if I remember correctly.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:00:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Snozzeltoff [+]
When I bought them last year, about June/July, the manufacturing date on them was in Jan/February that year if I remember correctly.

Bit odd that they continue making tyres that have been superseded by supposedly better model.

Not always better though are they, eg Bridgestones BT021, worst tyres I've ever had & still on sale. Then the BT020NN, a country mile better than any tyres I've had to date, and they dropped them.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Tall Paul

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Kidderminster
« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:20:17 AM »
I'm just about to replace my tyres, currently running PR4GT and looked at the new 5, but the 4 is such a good tyre, I'm going to stay with them, but going back to the standard tyre.  My local bike shop will supply and fit to loose wheels for 234. While the wheels are off, the calipers will get a clean and new EBC pads in the front.
2017 Tiger Sport
2003 Triumph T100
1980 Honda CX 500 A
1972 Honda SL100 (USA import)
Life is to short to tolerate wankers.

Offline Snozzeltoff

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Bit odd that they continue making tyres that have been superseded by supposedly better model.

Not always better though are they, eg Bridgestones BT021, worst tyres I've ever had & still on sale. Then the BT020NN, a country mile better than any tyres I've had to date, and they dropped them.

I picked them up from M&P online - Currently they're on for 188 a pair but they often email deals at lower than that.
 https://www.mandp.co.uk/motorcycle-spares/tyres-wheels/tyres/pilot-road-2-michelin-tyres-120-70zr17-180-55zr17-pair.html