Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Time for a new Battery  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Time for a new Battery
« Reply #20 on: 08 August, 2020, 04:00:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by JohnnyWheels [+]
Four years is not too bad for a motorcycle battery. Another year would have been nice; it was alway on a tender, and I live in a warm climate where is almost never gets below freezing, but an 8 year old bike getting battery #3 doesn't sound too bad.

I've been expecting mine to zonc out, 5 years is good but I have still have the original battery from when I bought the bike in April 2014. I check it regular & it's always showing 12.7v or more. I don't leave tender on, just put it on now & again. Mebbe every couple of weeks.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #21 on: 08 August, 2020, 04:20:14 PM »
Now I'm hardly using mine (WFH full time, so no commuting for months), I do the same as Paul.   Leave it alone, and maybe once every couple of months when I remember I'll connect the tender up and unplug it a day or so later.  I don't think batteries really like being charged *all* the time, even if the blurb on the charger says otherwise.

I took it out for a spin a few nights ago (went down to Dungeness and ate fish and chips on the beach - crystal clear evening, to the point I could just see bits of France over the water.   Completely forgot to take any pics for a Ride Out thread though).   First ride in almost 3 months and (yet again) it just fired right up, first push of the button.

I'm on my second battery - got a whisker under 60k on the clock now, and it's almost 7 years old.   Regular use, and periodic use of the tender when you're not riding often seems to be the trick.

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
« Reply #22 on: 09 August, 2020, 01:41:26 PM »
I'm on my 3rd battery in 13 yrs, just using a tender if I haven't ridden in over 3 weeks or so. Even when they are getting weak, they read 12.5 to 12.7 . Its when you try to start the bike that matters.  Seems to be around 10.5v when new, 10v when older, which is when the problems happen. When I see this happen, I replace the battery before the colder weather comes.