Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery Upgrade ?  (Read 6452 times)

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #110 on: 03 November, 2018, 11:09:37 AM »
Maybe new batteries need to 'bed in' ! ?

Offline rpr101

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #111 on: 15 January, 2019, 02:01:51 PM »
Just jumping in on this thread as I was looking for voltage readings from others to gauge whether my battery is OK.

I have the current model 2016 Tiger Sport. The bike and battery will be 3 years old in April. I have circa 17k miles on the bike.

I had been experiencing some slow starts so in December, checked the voltage with the bike off 24 hours after its last use (13.4V) and at idle/ 1100 - 1200rpm (14.8V).

I figured that the battery health was OK. I commute 35 miles a day most weeks so it gets a regular charge.

Given that I thought the battery was OK, I thought the starter cables could be to blame. I replaced these with thicker cables (sourced from Jeff "Pudding" Halford via the Facebook group).

There's been no discernible improvement. I checked the battery voltage again yesterday and had the same readings (13.4/ 14.8V) but this morning the bike was slow to start and took a few attempts.

Any ideas?

Would you try a new battery first given its age and mileage?

Offline TigreSport

• Tiger Member
  • Tigresport
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050SE- 2011
  • City / Town: Pamplona
« Reply #112 on: 15 January, 2019, 02:23:55 PM »
You should change the battery at this point.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #113 on: 15 January, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by rpr101 [+]
Just jumping in on this thread as I was looking for voltage readings from others to gauge whether my battery is OK.

I have the current model 2016 Tiger Sport. The bike and battery will be 3 years old in April. I have circa 17k miles on the bike.

I had been experiencing some slow starts so in December, checked the voltage with the bike off 24 hours after its last use (13.4V) and at idle/ 1100 - 1200rpm (14.8V).

I figured that the battery health was OK. I commute 35 miles a day most weeks so it gets a regular charge.

Given that I thought the battery was OK, I thought the starter cables could be to blame. I replaced these with thicker cables (sourced from Jeff "Pudding" Halford via the Facebook group).

There's been no discernible improvement. I checked the battery voltage again yesterday and had the same readings (13.4/ 14.8V) but this morning the bike was slow to start and took a few attempts.

Any ideas?

Would you try a new battery first given its age and mileage?

Could be battery, if anything your readings look a bit high. To get 13.4v after 24 hours is more what I would expect from a Lithium.  Put the voltmeter back on and check the volt reading when your cranking and report back.  (Should drop to between 10 and 11v)
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #114 on: 15 January, 2019, 03:46:21 PM »
Does sound high. What is it at 3,000 rpm? Maybe check with another mm.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #115 on: 16 January, 2019, 12:05:45 AM »
Has been very cold last few days. Is the bike kept outside, or in a shed?

Your voltage figures at rest and when running sound good. But you should put a voltmeter across the battery while cranking (cold) and see what it's like then. Let us know the result.

Apart from cables, have you checked that big fuse in the starter solenoid for damp/corrosion, and vaselined it? Same for that big earth nut (new cable there also) on top of the gearbox?

At your mileage, it may be worth giving the starter motor itself a service. Remove, clean up the brushes and everything around the commutator, check spinning cleanly in bearings, etc. No-one recommends it, but I tend to put (just a few) drops of WD40 on the bearing surfaces before reassembly. Sometimes new brushes and general cleanup can help, as it sounds like your bike is very often starting in a damp environment.

Any other vehicle, we shouldn't have to worry about all this. But since the battery and starter motor combo are only just powerful enough for the Tiger, we have to get everything near perfect.  :138:
« Last Edit: 16 January, 2019, 12:09:56 AM by Paullie »