Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !


Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery Upgrade ?  (Read 6398 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5972
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #10 on: 01 March, 2018, 08:29:42 AM »
That's a load of bollux on that Tanya site. This is the spec of the Yuasa YTZ14s. 230CCA

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-batteries/yuasa-ytz14s-high-performance-powersport-motorcycle-battery
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline The Berwick Bandit

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 162
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Berwick-upon-Tweed
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #11 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:29:30 AM »
I fitted the Motobatt MBYZ16h, 240 CCA, straight fit in no problems. M&P done it for 59.99 free delivery :490:
" You buy cheap ! you buy twice "
White 2014 1050 sport, Maxton , SC Projects high level carbon, Ventura luggage, Motobatt 16h. Power commander V, custom map.

Online Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5972
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #12 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:46:10 AM »
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Sidewinder

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 429
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
  • Country: UK
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #13 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
Physical size difference, YTX14 (150x87x145mm) is taller than YTZ (150x87x110mm) by 35mm so it won't lie down in the tray.

The OE YTX12 is 150 x 87 x 130mm.

Online Timbox

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 3034
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #14 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]

Thats a pretty good price for one of them too, and its the official suggested upgrade for the Tiger Sport,  Yuasa dont actually list an alternative for the Mk1 1050 as they dont do a high power battery with the same dimensions as YTX12 so to cover themselves they just say there isnt one
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Online Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5972
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #15 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
Physical size difference, YTX14 (150x87x145mm) is taller than YTZ (150x87x110mm) by 35mm so it won't lie down in the tray.
The OE YTX12 is 150 x 87 x 130mm.

The YTX14H is identical size to the Motobatt MBYZ16h that Berwick Bandit has just fitted.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Timbox

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 3034
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #16 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
The YTX14H is identical size to the Motobatt MBYZ16h that Berwick Bandit has just fitted.

But, remember,  Berwick has a Sport, OP doesnt so smaller battery space
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Offline gosling 1

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 2630
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
  • Country: USA
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #17 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:17:48 AM »
There are two types of AGM's commonly sold. One comes dry with a pre measured liquid acid container and a one time sealing strip. The other is filled at the factory and is completely sealed, no one time sealing strip. In a worse case scenario, the fill it yourself AGM's won't gush out fluid like the old wet batteries (with the little yellow filler caps), but they can drip acid if cracked, damaged or over charged. Info from Yuasa's website originally said that the fill it yourself type could not be mounted at extreme angles yet both my Tiger and Street Triple come with those types of batteries, laid on their sides, from the factory. Later they listed factory sealed versions of those batteries in the applications for both bikes. Now it looks like they went back to the original factory versions in the applications and changed the info in the facts section to call them for applications at extreme angles. :087: Triumph feels these types of batteries are fine for our bikes but personally I prefer the factory sealed type and for my '08, the YTZ14S has a better CCA rating than the OEM YTX12-BS. My Street Triple had a Shorai lithium already when I got it (bike was used), so like an oil thread we can debate this forever but there is no one right answer and many possible choices. :031:
« Last Edit: 01 March, 2018, 11:19:34 AM by gosling 1 »
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Online Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5972
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #18 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:33:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
But, remember,  Berwick has a Sport, OP doesnt so smaller battery space

That's right YTZ14s for the old model, YTX14H for the TS.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Timbox

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 3034
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Battery Upgrade ?
« Reply #19 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by gosling 1 [+]
There are two types of AGM's commonly sold. One comes dry with a pre measured liquid acid container and a one time sealing strip. The other is filled at the factory and is completely sealed, no one time sealing strip. In a worse case scenario, the fill it yourself AGM's won't gush out fluid like the old wet batteries (with the little yellow filler caps), but they can drip acid if cracked, damaged or over charged. Info from Yuasa's website originally said that the fill it yourself type could not be mounted at extreme angles yet both my Tiger and Street Triple come with those types of batteries, laid on their sides, from the factory. Later they listed factory sealed versions of those batteries in the applications for both bikes. Now it looks like they went back to the original factory versions in the applications and changed the info in the facts section to call them for applications at extreme angles. :087: Triumph feels these types of batteries are fine for our bikes but personally I prefer the factory sealed type and for my '08, the YTZ14S has a better CCA rating than the OEM YTX12-BS. My Street Triple had a Shorai lithium already when I got it (bike was used), so like an oil thread we can debate this forever but there is no one right answer and many possible choices. :031:

My new Sport came with the Factory Sealed variety (but not AGM)
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S