Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DIY v Bespoke from Hilltop Motorcycles  (Read 4103 times)

Offline TRP1050

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2014
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
Re: DIY v Bespoke from Hilltop Motorcycles
« Reply #20 on: 22 April, 2018, 05:22:03 PM »
Hi all. My bike was suffering a misfire when dyno'd. I think the results would have been better with new plugs in. It flies now and has much more midrange. I am happy with the changes to be honest.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #21 on: 22 April, 2018, 06:05:51 PM »
Good to hear. Hilltop seem like first class people and until proven otherwise they seem to deliver according to the customers. But, as pointed out, there was a dramatic difference in the changes across two bikes, with one ultimately performing far better than the other. We'd all like to see final numbers that are close to a 1050's optimum since Hilltop say their software is self-learning and compensating. Therefore, dramatic mods aside, most bikes should approach the upper end of the envelope after their magic. A 15BHP difference is glaring. Allowing for the misfire, torque curves were quite close...
« Last Edit: 22 April, 2018, 06:09:10 PM by ZuluTiger »

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #22 on: 23 April, 2018, 01:09:48 PM »
The 2016 engine is a very different animal from the 2014 - maybe it responds to tuning better as well?
It certainly goes better out of the box   :007:
I also notice Westy46's 2016 bike is de-catted which also may add to the difference.
« Last Edit: 23 April, 2018, 01:11:34 PM by jkd102 »
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech Tank Bag & Tail Pack, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand.

Offline Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2018 BlackTiger Sport
  • City / Town: Newbury
« Reply #23 on: 23 April, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »
Im interested to know if you think a Hilltop  tune is necessary considering Ive read here that post 16 TSs will self adapt  after any changes? 
Too old to die young!

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #24 on: 23 April, 2018, 08:09:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fossil [+]
Im interested to know if you think a Hilltop  tune is necessary considering Ive read here that post 16 TSs will self adapt  after any changes? 

I'm not sure that the ECU will adapt to "any" changes but it is happy enough after adding an aftermarket pipe. :001:  A de-cat and aftermarket filter would only increase the  benefits from a re-tune.
I am very happy with the bikes performance & fueling (with the factory tune) but I also believe that there is more power available that could be tuned in.
That said it may affect fuel economy although most bike manufacturers have the top end set way too rich too protect the engine.
If I ever get bored with the power delivery I may consider tuning but at the moment its just - turn off traction control and hang on  :005:
The front end gets light under power and I have had the back end get loose a few times after forgetting TC is off.
That's good enough to keep it exciting for me at the moment.....
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech Tank Bag & Tail Pack, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #25 on: 23 April, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »
No noticeable change in my economy if I play nicely. Wring it's neck and all bets are off
 :745:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online dav.a

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2013 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: DUNOON
« Reply #26 on: 26 April, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
Re fuel mpg, if I can control the right hand side handlebar thingy and stick to or about the speed limit fuel economy is excellent. The problem is sticking to it, after the HT amendment it just wants to go faster and faster and I dont know how to tame, it other than removing a spark plug !  :192:

Offline TRP1050

• Tiger Member
« Reply #27 on: 26 April, 2018, 01:15:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by dav.a [+]
Re fuel mpg, if I can control the right hand side handlebar thingy and stick to or about the speed limit fuel economy is excellent. The problem is sticking to it, after the HT amendment it just wants to go faster and faster and I dont know how to tame, it other than removing a spark plug !  :192:

I definitely wouldn't recommend removing a spark plug to slow it down. My bike with the misfire was bad enough!...
I am finding the fuel economy fine so far  :002:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #28 on: 26 April, 2018, 11:20:40 PM »
Interesting that there's a very clear torque hump on the 14 TS, it peaks at 4600 rpm. The later model seems to have a flatter band of torque (admittedly higher too) up to its peak at 7600. Did they change the plugs before doing the rerun, or find some other cause of the misfire? That would explain the difference in curves before and after. Or maybe it hadn't been adapted properly before?

The 14 torque hump chimes with my own experience, and personally I rather like it. For most of my riding it is what counts.

Offline TRP1050

• Tiger Member
« Reply #29 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:36:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Interesting that there's a very clear torque hump on the 14 TS, it peaks at 4600 rpm. The later model seems to have a flatter band of torque (admittedly higher too) up to its peak at 7600. Did they change the plugs before doing the rerun, or find some other cause of the misfire? That would explain the difference in curves before and after. Or maybe it hadn't been adapted properly before?

The 14 torque hump chimes with my own experience, and personally I rather like it. For most of my riding it is what counts.
Both runs before and after were with the bike misfiring. I had the plugs changed later in the day which resolved the issue, but unfortunately don't have a chart showing the improved running. The bike feels much stronger now though and you can feel the torque in the midrange which is where I want it.