Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DIY v Bespoke from Hilltop Motorcycles  (Read 4101 times)

Offline dav.a

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2013 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: DUNOON
DIY v Bespoke from Hilltop Motorcycles
« on: 08 February, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »
I have read most of the posts regarding tuning our beloved tigers and must admit to being bemused by all the fuss. I do get the aspect of self satisfaction with doing the work but much prefer to ride my bike with it performing optimally.

I do my own servicing and maintenance and get a great deal of pleasure from that so I really do get the DIY thing.

I was disappointed with the standard performance and looked at this section in depth however not fully understanding the tune set up and considering all the costs involved decided to use Hilltop Motorcycles .

I took the ECM unit out posted it to them by Royal Mail Special delivery and included a return special delivery bag. I got the ECM unit back 3 days later, fitted it and followed the so simple instructions.

Result the bike is now in super dooper scary mode. Fantastic acceleration, no issues at low revs in fact everything you could possible want and no need to do anything if the exhaust , air filter or airbox is changed the ECM will adapt. I don't know how just know it does. I've done it when I fitted the Arrow exhaust.

Cost was 350 pounds plus postage. Time spent fiddling with tunes, waiting for leads, connectors, etc etc NIL. The price is reduced to 300 for subsequent bikes. 

Seriously folks give them a look and consider what you want.....

Offline Westy46

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Barnstaple
Re: DIY v Bespoke from Hilltop Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2018, 09:28:49 PM »
Sounds like just what im after, love the bike ergonomics etc, just needs more top end.
Having spoken to Geoff, im booked in for a dyno run and reflash on 7th April.
Already have a Remus Carbon Hexacone high level fitted, just ordered an MWR HE filter and bought some used downpipes from fleabay ready for decat!?
Glad to hear your pleased, did the Hilltop magic affect all rider modes or just the Sport mode?
Cheers Mark.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2018, 09:35:34 PM »
I kind of wonder if Santa actually dropped in one night, stole the ECU, sent it to HT then replaced it all without my knowing. Because I have no complaints about the acceleration and general performance at all, if anything it's a bit scary sometimes as you say  :169: 

Maybe somebody wrote to Santa on my behalf and put HT in my Christmas stocking .....

Offline dav.a

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »
Should have mentioned it's a 2013 model.  if standard set up is scary don't even consider a Hilltop ECM set up.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:25:48 PM »
Em .... "Result the bike is now in super dooper scary mode.". Yup, don't think mine is standard either ....

Offline dav.a

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:36:05 PM »
😲😲😲

roll on Spring. 

🖒

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:57:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Westy46 [+]
Sounds like just what im after, love the bike ergonomics etc, just needs more top end.
Having spoken to Geoff, im booked in for a dyno run and reflash on 7th April.
Already have a Remus Carbon Hexacone high level fitted, just ordered an MWR HE filter and bought some used downpipes from fleabay ready for decat!?
Glad to hear your pleased, did the Hilltop magic affect all rider modes or just the Sport mode?
Cheers Mark.
Are you going to put in the filter and take the baffle out before you go. (Don't forget the adaptation). Love to see the before and after for what you end up with.

I took mine in with my baffle in and the original air filter. Changed them the next day and the end result was massive - but I don't know how much is to do with HT and how much to do with getting more air through the system though.

Here is my before and after with baffle in and stock filter https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,38177.msg419497.html#msg419497
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Westy46

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: 10 February, 2018, 08:52:08 AM »
Thanks Seangee, yes ill probaly leave the baffle out, Geoff recommended that i take it easy on the ride up, with the MWR filter installed.
Pop it into rain mode to resist temptation!
Looking at the downpipes, its not an easy decat, my vfr1200 was just a chop out and a y piece of tubing.
Ill post the results when i get to Hilltop, ive asked for a before and after dyno chart, which they are happy to do.
I ran a PCV and auto tune on the big viffer which made a vast difference, no more snatchy throttle, not a problem on the Tiger though.

Offline dav.a

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2018, 08:39:33 AM »
Two weeks to go Westy46. weather's improving. lucky you.

Offline Westy46

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: 24 March, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »
Thanks Dav.a, looking forward to the trip up, staying at the Longshoot Hotel. Still havent got my Manifold back yet after taking out the Cat! Wanted to be able to give a before and after with the Cat removed and the MWR filter.
Still on a different note, fired up the MV 1090 and put in some fresh super unleaded fuel the other day, struggled to start, but once warmed up she rocked!! :-)