Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dakar. 2018. Malle Moto class.  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2018 B-Mer
  • City / Town: Newbury
Dakar. 2018. Malle Moto class.
« on: 16 January, 2018, 10:07:27 AM »
I've been watching the progress of British rider Lyndon Poskitt on YouTube. He uploads a short video of his day as they tackle the brutal  stages set for them. There's a really good start to the series of vids. where he shows getting his  bike ready befor it gets shipped from Le Harve to South America.  He's currently lying second in the Malle Moto class after watching stage 8 this morning.   He is an amazing guy with total dedication who gave up working as an aerospace engineer to follow his motorcycling dream. Well worth watching even if that kind of riding isn't your thing.  Look up Lyndon Poskitt Racing on YouTube if you want to see.
Too old to die young!

Offline peejayess

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2014 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
Re: Dakar. 2018. Malle Moto class.
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »
Been following him as well. "Discovered" him when Sam Sunderland went out of the Dakar and I looked to see who else from the UK might be there. Tackling the Dakar as an "original", one man and his bike, next to no support - 'nuff said.

Offline Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2018, 04:46:10 PM »
The guy is a machine!  Race all day then have to ride an extra 500kms. to the next stop to sleep? 1200 Kms in a day!!!! How do you get that much stamina after 7 stages???   To say he's inspirational is an understatement!
Too old to die young!

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2018, 01:17:56 AM »
I went and had a look on YouTube, and you're right, truly amazing stuff. Riding the Dakar has to be one of the toughest physical tests out there. Good on him  :028:

BTW, I liked the way the backup team manager, a certain 'Uncle', had the whisky bottle ready at the finish of the latest stage!

Also, what is that big mapping instrument in front of him? It looks like a digital version of the old mechanical strip maps. If it's linked to a GPS and so real-time, would quite fancy one myself - like the turn by turn instructions.

Offline peejayess

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2014 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #4 on: 17 January, 2018, 08:52:08 AM »
That's the rally road book. Every twist and turn is marked on it at the distance from the start, so the riders have to match their odometer to the road book to keep on track (I think I've got that right). Every night they have to go through the road book and mark it up and then re-roll it on to their machine. If the paper breaks during the ride ..... You can tell how well the riders/drivers follow it if one of them goes off course, and everyone behind follows them and a dozen or so machines get lost because they've been playing follow the leader (like happened on Stage 10). Not for the faint-hearted. I think I'm right in saying they're not allowed a satnav of any sort, but they have a GPS tracker so the rescue crews can find them if things go t***-up.

Offline Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: 17 January, 2018, 09:41:59 AM »
Mornin!  Just checked for the daily update and Lyndon has done a Navigation Special so we can understand all those bits on the tower. How they manage to ride so quickly and still look at all those different pieces of info at the same time is beyond me!    I wouldn't mind an alert when I'm in danger of being caught speeding though :007:
Too old to die young!

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #6 on: 17 January, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by peejayess [+]
That's the rally road book. Every twist and turn is marked on it at the distance from the start, so the riders have to match their odometer to the road book to keep on track (I think I've got that right). Every night they have to go through the road book and mark it up and then re-roll it on to their machine. If the paper breaks during the ride ..... You can tell how well the riders/drivers follow it if one of them goes off course, and everyone behind follows them and a dozen or so machines get lost because they've been playing follow the leader (like happened on Stage 10). Not for the faint-hearted. I think I'm right in saying they're not allowed a satnav of any sort, but they have a GPS tracker so the rescue crews can find them if things go t***-up.

So it's still a paper roll? That's a shame. Would think someone would have invented a digital version by now. Such a digital turn-by-turn display could be an interesting alternative to the conventional map-based display. But I'm not really certain if that would be a benefit.

Not allowed a GPS? What is the point of that? I suppose it could help prevent cheating on some stages, yet the trackers would show any cheating going on. Seems weird to have a GPS-based tracker, but not allow a GPS-based satnav. All benefit for the controllers, none for the riders, it seems to me.  :012:

Offline Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: 17 January, 2018, 01:56:04 PM »

My guess is that it's a paper roll so the riders can mark it in colours that they can identify quickly and see as a big picture the night before when they mark it all up ready.  Also, would a satnav take away some of the skill needed to use the paper roll road book?
Too old to die young!

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #8 on: 17 January, 2018, 04:19:05 PM »
"Turn left at the next dead cow" :001:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God