Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Vibrarion when braking  (Read 6951 times)

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Vibrarion when braking
« Reply #80 on: 03 November, 2018, 07:40:14 PM »
Looking good!  :028:  I quite like the gold disc carrier - harking back to the T1050. Might be interesting to see if you have no more vibration probs ....

Offline SM0341

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: York
« Reply #81 on: 03 November, 2018, 07:58:14 PM »
All good so far ..... I'll do an update when they've a few trips on them  👍

Online jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #82 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:42:37 AM »
Just got my disks checked and (no surprise) they are just over the max runout once again at 34k.  :232:
Mr Triumph you have my warranty claim (once again) for consideration.

I think (when the replacement gets the OK) I'll order some EBC Double H pads and swap them out as soon as the disks are replaced.
This will be the last time I can claim under the 2 year warranty period.
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech Tank Bag & Tail Pack, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #83 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by jkd102 [+]
I think (when the replacement gets the OK) I'll order some EBC Double H pads and swap them out as soon as the disks are replaced.
This will be the last time I can claim under the 2 year warranty period.

Don't the new discs get any warranty? They should.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online jkd102

• Tiger Master
« Reply #84 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Don't the new discs get any warranty? They should.

I don't know  :087: I suppose Triumph could replace endless disks if that was the case.
Anyway I'm hoping that a change to HH sintered pads will prevent it happening again.
From reading up on previous posts, it seems a good option.
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech Tank Bag & Tail Pack, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #85 on: 06 December, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »
I don't know  :087: I suppose Triumph could replace endless disks if that was the case.
Anyway I'm hoping that a change to HH sintered pads will prevent it happening again.
From reading up on previous posts, it seems a good option.

If the product is at fault they should replace until they get it right imo. My ST955 discs were still good at 60k miles, I did all them miles & never replaced discs. Pads were replaced with tyres back & front. Those discs & on the ST1050 had some side movement, these TS discs don't.

Good luck with the new discs/pads.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online jkd102

• Tiger Master
« Reply #86 on: 06 December, 2018, 05:36:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
If the product is at fault they should replace until they get it right imo. My ST955 discs were still good at 60k miles, I did all them miles & never replaced discs. Pads were replaced with tyres back & front. Those discs & on the ST1050 had some side movement, these TS discs don't.

Good luck with the new discs/pads.

Cheers - I agree 100% but I also want nice brakes again and Triumph are intent on replacing crap with crap.
I felt the vibration under braking much earlier but I knew that it had to reach a certain point for it to be claimable so I put up with it until it got really noticeable.
Iv'e owned over 20 bikes and never replaced disks on any of them. Sold my RS955 at 67K and the disks were still working perfectly.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #87 on: 06 December, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »
Cheers - I agree 100% but I also want nice brakes again and Triumph are intent on replacing crap with crap.
I felt the vibration under braking much earlier but I knew that it had to reach a certain point for it to be claimable so I put up with it until it got really noticeable.
Iv'e owned over 20 bikes and never replaced disks on any of them. Sold my RS955 at 67K and the disks were still working perfectly.

I fully understand you keeping the RS955 for all those miles. IMO the RS/ST955's were brilliant bikes, Great build quality, couldn't fault them.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline slartidbartfast

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Louisiana
« Reply #88 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:17:25 PM »
"Warped" disks are often caused by braking hard to a stop and then holding the brake on a hot disk.  This leaves a slightly thicker layer of pad material in that spot.  During subsequent braking, the area with the extra build up gets hotter and more pad material transfers, perpetuating the problem.  Eventually, the localized heat can cause formation of carbide crystals in the metal structure of the disk (more of an issue with car disks than the stainless ones on motorcycles), making that portion of the disk more wear resistant, which results in thickness variation as the disk wears, more heat in the thicker area, etc., etc., etc.  Usually, it's just the pad material. Salt crud left between the disk and pads due to poor washing technique (or not washing the bike right away when salt is on the road) can also cause a similar effect.  Basically the disks are not usually warped at all but the uneven deposits make it seem that way.  Actual warped disks are pretty rare. They can occasionally be due to overheating but more likely mechanical damage during tyre changing, use of disk locks, etc.

I used to have a commute, by car, that involved a four-lane bypass around a small town, with several roundabouts, where I would pick up all the town traffic at the last roundabout.  I would brake hard from 80-100mph for several roundabouts in succession, getting the brakes REALLY hot, then usually have to stop at the last roundabout.  My new company car was experiencing "warped disks" and severe brake surging about every 500 miles.  I went through five or six sets of pads and disks in the first six months.  Then I figured out what was causing the problem and began either creeping forward instead of stopping dead or using the hand-brake.  The problem never recurred on that vehicle or any other.

Similarly, in June 2018 on my way back from Deadhorse, AK, on my KTM 1290, I stopped in Fairbanks overnight, then pressure washed the bike to get all the corrosive mud off.  I believe I forgot to rotate the front wheel and clean between the pads, resulting in surging brakes for the next 7,000 miles until I got home.  Slack in the steering bearings, pounded loose on the Dalton Hwy., made it worse.  Once home, I cleaned the bobbins and scrubbed the heck out of the disks with a green scotchbrite pad and brake cleaner.  This fixed the problem.

Most recently, my new (to me) 2008 Tiger came to me with both loose steering bearings and surging brakes.  Once again, scrubbing with a Scotchbrite pad and brake cleaner fixed the problem.

HH or other sintered metal pads are more abrasive than organic pads and can often remove any extra surface deposits before they build up to the point of causing local heating.  That is why they are less prone to this problem, but it's mostly down to riding style IMO.
« Last Edit: 27 December, 2018, 11:20:02 PM by slartidbartfast »
2008 Tiger 1050 ABS, 2016 KTM 1290 SA(T), 1985 BMW R80RT, 2008 Suzuki Vstrom 650 ABS, 2006 Suzuki DR 350, 1987 Yamaha TW 200, 2001 Hyosung 125

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
« Reply #89 on: 28 December, 2018, 04:23:13 AM »
I agree 100%. I have 170k mils on my 08 and had the pulsing with the stock pads. Cleaned th discs with 400 emory and switched to ebc hh. Never any other issues. Same with my other 2 triumphs