Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dipped beam headlights not working  (Read 1451 times)

Offline 426hemi

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Glossop
Dipped beam headlights not working
« on: 11 July, 2017, 12:05:11 AM »
I have a problem with the headlights on my 2015 Tiger Sport.
The dipped beam headlights refuse to work, have checked the bulbs and the fuse under the seat, all are ok.
All other lights work fine, small side lights and main beam along with rear light.
Has anyone any suggestions as how to resolve this ?

Cheers

Offline RedBird

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Tiger1050
  • City / Town: Stroud, Oklahoma
Re: Dipped beam headlights not working
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2017, 02:45:42 AM »
Someone with a Sport Service manual should take a few minutes to look at the wiring diagram and see what the options are for this condition.  If it were me and I had no wiring diagram, I would pull the nosecone and check the relay (on top of the right-hand half of the headlight assy.  I would remove it and if it is a 5 pin relay, I would go to a parts store and get a cheap 5 pin relay to put in and see if that fixed the problem.  If it is a 4 pin relay, I doubt if that would be the problem.  With a 5 pin relay the circuit could be designed to have the dipped beam on all the time (in the default state of the relay), and once the relay is switched by the high beam switch, the high beam would come on and the dipped beam would go off.   The 5-pin relay could fail in such a manner that one but not the other of the lights would work in a circuit of this design.

Larry

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2017, 07:08:39 AM »
I think all the relays and fuses are under the seat on the sport, and yes I think there is a relay and a fuse just for dip beam, check the user manual

PS: No, looks like Im partly wrong above, just checked my manual and there is only 1 fuse for all headlights and also 1 relay,, looks to be more involved. I'll check my wiring diagram
« Last Edit: 11 July, 2017, 08:04:15 AM by Timbox »
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2017, 08:25:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
I think all the relays and fuses are under the seat on the sport, and yes I think there is a relay and a fuse just for dip beam, check the user manual

PS: No, looks like Im partly wrong above, just checked my manual and there is only 1 fuse for all headlights and also 1 relay,, looks to be more involved. I'll check my wiring diagram

Just realised, Ive only wiring diagrams for 2016 on? Not sure how much changed but looking at mine its a common feed for all headlights up to the switch, so does look as though switch or wiring from switch to dips as being the problem
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »
OK, just had a look at my (2014 TS) wiring diagram.

You say that main beam works fine, so the relay and all the earths should be fine. Really the problem has to lie somewhere between the LH handlebar main/dip switch and the bulbs themselves. 

I'd try the switch first. The fact that both bulbs are affected points to a common point. Is the bike outside in the rain a lot, or suffers from condensation in a humid garage? What's the mileage? Try working the switch back and forth to see if makes a difference, or see if you can get some WD40 inside.

If not that, then the wiring in between. There's several major plug/socket joints just underneath the tank at front RH side - one of those carries the HL wires. Have you disturbed them recently? If so, might be worth disturbing again and vaselining all the contacts (something I do anyway).

After all this, you have to trace the circuit from the switch to the bulbs with a meter, seeing that there's 12V getting to various points. If you've had the tank off recently, I'd check those plug/sockets carefully - they often seem to lie right on top of the cylinder head.

Good luck.  :002:
« Last Edit: 11 July, 2017, 10:53:08 AM by Paullie »

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »
On the earlier '07-'12 Tigers the dipped beam power is cut off as long as the start button is pushed. I think this is done at the start relay, also the bike won't start if the headlight fuse is blown or pulled out. Don't know if this is the same with the later Sports. My '14 Street Triple is completely different, the headlights stay off until the motor is running. Looks like it is controlled by the ECU on that bike.

Silly question, did you verify that both H7 bulbs were good? It's rare both are out but it could happen.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline RedBird

• Tiger God
« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:32:26 PM »
The reason I said the headlight relay is on the top of the right half of the Sport headlight assy. is because the same mount bracket is there for mounting a relay--at least it is there on the one I ordered and installed on my '08.  I would still check that relay to see if it is a 5-pin relay and if so, I would replace it to see if the relay is at fault.

Larry

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:37:41 PM »
He who measures, knows. Hence, use a multimeter and read some voltages. It will cost zero and define the problem precisely. If you have no electrical skills, a few beers for your local spark should do it.. Getting friendly with V,I and R is a worthwhile effort and can save you serious cash and time.

Offline RedBird

• Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:42:49 PM »
Just had a look at the 2016 wiring diagram Timbox posted in another thread.  I kept coming back to the main/Dip switch as the most probable culprit (if some wiring connector is not unplugged).  Basically, what Paullie said above (except for the WD-Fortay which I would never use around electrical switches--but some do with success--I use a contact cleaner spray).  The relay is a 4-pin one and cannot be the culprit--at least on a 2016 with the same symptoms, IMHO. 

Also what Zulu said--this one may//willl be a difficult one to find without measuring voltages, etc. unless some contact cleaner points toward the main/dip switch.

Larry

Offline 426hemi

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Glossop
« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2017, 11:51:11 PM »
Thank you all for your help 🙂, Will start by having a look at the dipped / main beam switch.
Will advise when I find the problem.