Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tapping / ticking noise from engine on 1050 tiger  (Read 2306 times)

Offline welshdave

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Triumph tiger1050
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Re: Tapping / ticking noise from engine on 1050 tiger
« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2017, 12:58:19 PM »
New chain last year

Offline fireypete

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2013
  • City / Town: Frankston
« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
2013 Tiger Sport.  Much the same issues.  Top right of engine for me, around 3,000 to 4000RPM annoying ticking sound, it may go for longer  but wind noise seems to take over.  Replaced the cam chain tensioner spring to no avail.  makes a few other noises from the engine, not great.  Advice was given and taken, wear ear plugs and ignore.  3 years later its the same but the bike runs great.  My Sprint ST always (for 15 years!) sounded rattly, but it too was a great bike.  If your new to Triumph, don't panic just yet.  It may be just errrrr ummmmm....Character :038:
"More miles, more smiles."
Peter Smith, a bloody good writer

Offline Angelove

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 sport
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »
Hello, I am new here.
I have bought a second hand triumph tiger sport 1050 model of 2017 9000km last week.
The bike worked beautifully until today.
Being on second gear, I decided to try a wheelie.
I have forgotten to deactivate the traction control.
With second gear I clutched and revved. The Tc was activated and since the bike makes a tapping noise low under the foot towards chain. The noise increases in frequency with speed going up and is only present on second gear. Rolling with neutral doesn't seem to make a nose neither with 1st or 3rd gear but I didn't really try it out a lot not to make more damage. Anyone got any idea what might have happend?
Thank you all.

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
« Reply #13 on: 15 November, 2019, 07:46:52 AM »
Duplicate post above - best to stick with the other thread you started I reckon.   :031:

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/board,14.0.html
The best substitute for brains is ........what?

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #14 on: 15 November, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »
There was another recent post about strange noises where I posted that I had a metallic rattle that had me thinking about the cam chain tensioner as it sounded like it was from the top of the engine.
Turns out it was the clutch lever rattling - easy to check. When you hear the rattling noise just put some pressure on the clutch lever and see if it makes a difference.
Was driving me crazy until I figured it out..... :084:
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Re-Trimmed seat, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech City Evo Tank Bag, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand, Ventura rear rack.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #15 on: 15 November, 2019, 11:28:21 AM »
Welshdave, have a close look at your chain and it's tension. I had that on my T1050, turned out chain was hitting something metal behind the left footrest, I seem to remember there's an engine mounting bolt there (and it can work loose as difficult to check) - have to remove the footrest hangar plate to look.

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #16 on: 15 November, 2019, 01:18:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Welshdave, have a close look at your chain and it's tension. I had that on my T1050, turned out chain was hitting something metal behind the left footrest, I seem to remember there's an engine mounting bolt there (and it can work loose as difficult to check) - have to remove the footrest hangar plate to look.

He hasn't logged in for 2 1/2 years, i doubt he's that bothered any more!!

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #17 on: 15 November, 2019, 02:35:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
He hasn't logged in for 2 1/2 years, i doubt he's that bothered any more!!
That's about when I had my chain noise too!  Must have been a common factor somewhere .......  :015: