Random Gallery Image

5 12 IMG 2350

Views: 57
Posted by: varnerju
in: varnerju

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Gauge  (Read 558 times)

Offline highlandadam

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Inverness
Fuel Gauge
« on: 20 December, 2016, 06:21:40 PM »
Sorry I am a bit confused (easy done...).  I have read a number of threads on matters fuel gauge.  What's happen with me is that bike wouldn't start, so I turned the ignition off and on again, and it was fine.  But fuel gauge has reset to zero.  Will this recover itself after a period (I have ridden about 3 miles).  Or is it likely to be a (slightly) duff battery?  Which I probably won't replace until the battery dies (bike starts fine, repeatedly).  Or is it something to do with the clutch switch?  Thanks in advance...

Online smaug

• Tiger God
  • GRRRRRRR
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050 BLUE
Re: Fuel Gauge
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »
If you lose the fuel gauge  on a failed start then it's the battery.
Learning is the greatest gift.

Offline highlandadam

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: 20 December, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »
OK thanks mate.  I have done quite a lot of short journeys so will leave it a bit to see if when battery charges up a fraction it might return...Though I see battery is a 10AH and Mr Haynes says it should be 12AH...Cheers.

Online Texan Rider

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Ft Worth, Texas
« Reply #3 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:01:26 PM »
After you fix the battery issue, give the gauge about 1 - 2 miles to reset before you panic.
White Tiger Rider
"Which way you going?" they asked.
After some thought, I replied, "Doesn't matter, as long as I'm going."

Online smaug

• Tiger God
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2016, 10:30:32 PM »
 :0461:
I've found it takes a bit longer then that to come around though  usually 5 minutes into a ride and it's back on a regstering actual level......as good as they do anyway.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2016, 11:25:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by highlandadam [+]
OK thanks mate.  I have done quite a lot of short journeys so will leave it a bit to see if when battery charges up a fraction it might return...Though I see battery is a 10AH and Mr Haynes says it should be 12AH...Cheers.
A 10 AH    :005:  I'm surprised it starts at all, the voltage drop after one start risks all sorts of strange electronic behaviour, not just the fuel guage.

Even the 12AH is the lower limit. Go out and buy a 14AH if you can - Yuasa YTZ14 recommended (just not the YTX14, which won't fit).

Online smaug

• Tiger God
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2016, 12:21:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
A 10 AH    :005:  I'm surprised it starts at all, the voltage drop after one start risks all sorts of strange electronic behaviour, not just the fuel guage.

Even the 12AH is the lower limit. Go out and buy a 14AH if you can - Yuasa YTZ14 recommended (just not the YTX14, which won't fit).
He speaks the truth.  I didn't see those numbers earlier,your battery is gone.

Offline highlandadam

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: 21 December, 2016, 06:08:38 PM »
Thanks folks.  Good news - my fuel gauge has now returned (presumably once the battery got a leeetle bit more charge back).  I searched online and the battery I've got comes up in eBay as a suitable replacement for the bike.  I note what you all say, of course accept the received wisdom, and will replace the battery when it dies (but will not rush to do same immediately, seeing as the bike is starting etc fine in reasonably cold conditions etc).

Offline Tatey

• Tiger Member
  • Get out and ride
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Gateshead
« Reply #8 on: 21 December, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »
Been having the same problem, starter would spin a bit then nothing, flicked the kill switch few spins again then nothing and fuel gauge goes to zero, when I eventually got it started it took a few miles for it too kick back in, gonna get a new battery, maybe the yuasa 14ah one

Online smaug

• Tiger God
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #9 on: 21 December, 2016, 09:59:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by highlandadam [+]
Thanks folks.  Good news - my fuel gauge has now returned (presumably once the battery got a leeetle bit more charge back).  I searched online and the battery I've got comes up in eBay as a suitable replacement for the bike.  I note what you all say, of course accept the received wisdom, and will replace the battery when it dies (but will not rush to do same immediately, seeing as the bike is starting etc fine in reasonably cold conditions etc).
If you make many short trips and if you don't want to get a new battery yet then now would be a good time to invest in one of those compact jumper packs. :169:

suigeneris