Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Yet another light upgrade  (Read 499 times)

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Tamworth
Yet another light upgrade
« on: 15 December, 2016, 12:56:32 AM »
I decided last winter that the lights on my 2007 Tigger needed upgrading. The first stage was to put in an H7 Osram Nightbreaker on the low beam side, which got me through the rest of winter. However, I've been vaguely thinking about further improvement since then. HID looked like it might be sufficient, and recently HID lights became very affordable - I bought a pair of 55W 6000K H7 HIDs from a UK seller on That Ebay for less than 20, plus I have a pair of H9 burners on order (heading over here on a leaking sampan as I speak) for about another 5. I also bought a few T10 Cree LED sidelight bulbs - these ones are 32 SMD per bulb ones and cost under 4 for four.

I installed the two HID units each side of the fairing bracket, held on by zip ties. These are all-in-one units, so it's just the box and the burner. Drilled a hole in the bottom of the bulb shield with a hole saw and made it sort of Saturn-shaped with an unDremel so I could get the connector through - the high beam side is waiting for the above-mentioned H9 burners, which is why I installed both HID boxes.

I also installed the Cree LED sidelights. I upgraded the Bonnie headlight at the same time with an Osram Nightbreaker and one of the Cree LEDs, and I looked at the sidelight in the Bonnie after installing it. After the dots in front of my eyes had faded, I was much more cautious when looking at the ones in the Tigger headlights.

Having been out for a couple of commutes home since doing the upgrade, it's a definite improvement over the originals. By no means perfect, but I've never been a particularly enthusiastic night rider anyway so it doesn't really matter. I'm looking forward to upgrading the main beam too.

This does mean that we can upgrade to HID almost as cheaply as putting in a pair of Osram Nightbreakers, and it's a better upgrade than a straight bulb swap. Plus the Cree sidelights are cheap and well worth it to improve your visibility.

Offline furysamurai72

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Rochdale, MA
Re: Yet another light upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2016, 01:38:00 AM »
I would love to see some pictures of your bike after the install. Sounds interesting but I'm not 100% sure I understand everything you're saying.

:490:

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2016, 08:32:22 AM »
The story in pictures:

HIDs arrive

Box contents

The sidelight bulbs

HID boxes cable tied to fairing bracket

The bulb cover before final cleaning up of the cuts

Before - dip beam

and main beam

After - dip beam

and main beam

How it looks from the pilot's seat - Osram Nightbreaker

and HID

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #3 on: 20 December, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »
Put H9 HID in the main beam. Tested OK.

Went for a ride. Switched main beam on. All became dark. Fuse blown - which also powers starter relay. Good job there was a spare in the fusebox. Managed to bend the pins in the HID igniter boxes so neither light worked but LED running lights were adequate to keep me seen and it was still just light enough to see.

Plan B - bend pins back into shape, reconnect dip beam HID, put normal bulb back in high beam, get LED H9 bulb and try that out.