Author Topic: Bike won't start  (Read 6201 times)

Offline Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Re: Bike won't start
Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2016, 09:39:49 PM
You have plenty of fuel and it's not old?  When did you use it last?  How many miles has it done?  Any mods esp. electrical?

Did you find the wires and get the bleep results exactly as I described?  Cross linked the appropriate ones?  Have you since removed the temporary wires & reconnected the alarm?  Have you checked the fuses?

The four relays must be ok otherwise you wouldn't be able to crank, similarly it's neither the clutch nor sidestand switches.

Do you have a copy of the workshop manual, paper or PDF?

Do you know where the camchain tensioner is?  If you do take the big bolt out that holds the spring in (DO NOT remove the unit itself via the two small bolts).  Take care the spring will try to fire the bolt out once it's undone, remove big bolt and spring.  Get something to stick in the hole where the spring goes - i used an allen key - to measure the depth of the hole from the very bottom to the face that the big bolt seats against.   Tensioner on first tooth depth=38.5mm, tensioner on max extension 60.5mm.

If you measure depth to be 60.5mm or thereabouts then the tensioner has (or almost has) run out of adjustment and the chain might have worn to the extent it can (has?) jump the gears throwing the cam timing off and meaning it won't start.  It's unlikely it's this, but then that's what I thought about mine which turned out to be exactly the problem, in any case it's a fairly quick and easy non-invasive check to do.

SAS

Offline Vaguey1

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2016, 09:50:23 PM
I've put 5ltrs of fresh fuel in her last Sunday when it ran. I followed your instructions to the letter with the multi meter. Bike made the usual noises hit the start button and it spins over with the odd puff.
It's a 07 with 28k services regular new battery . Has the cat removed and quill can. The correct the map for the mods to.
I've swapped around the relays and still the same.
I can check the cameras chain later. It's never been noisy and I have a haynes manual for it.
I've bridged the wire and since removed them and connected the alarm up as belive that it isn't the  abuse of the problem.

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2016, 09:50:51 PM
Since he has said that the bike has little/no spark, I would concentrate on that.

Offline Vaguey1

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2016, 09:55:14 PM
I had the plus out and rested on the carb body. Spins over and only cyclinder 1 sparks and tbh it's not great but it's consitant what's controls the size / power of the spark from the ecu? Is there a way to check it?
Sorry I'm a hgv fitter but this is baffling me

Offline Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Reply #14 on: 11 October, 2016, 10:15:32 PM
Was it running fine and then (eg.) the next day crank no start?  The more info on what happened the better, a youtube vid of what it's doing might help too.

My bike gave a 'poor' spark when tested out of the engine as you have - turned out not to be an issue however as I did nothing to the ignition system and once I solved the real problem all was fine.

FYI mine is an 07 but only has 8000 and everyone saying it cant be the camchain didn't stop it from being the camchain.

Careful swapping those three relays, think they are all the same type/spec but not 100% sure.

SAS
Last Edit: 11 October, 2016, 10:19:55 PM by Sidewinder

Offline Vaguey1

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2016, 10:25:52 PM
Bike was running fine never had an issue.
Ride bike last Sunday put fresh fuel in her. Parked in garage come to start this weekend and it just turns over.
There is fuel being injected as the plugs get wet one the one occasion it did fire and run for around 10 seconds and cut out
As I said there is no spark or extremely week on 2 and 3 . I will check the cam chain tomorrow

Offline smaug

• Non Active
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050 BLUE
Reply #16 on: 11 October, 2016, 10:35:24 PM
You should self close this thread now that you started another one about the same thing.

Offline Vaguey1

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: 11 October, 2016, 10:38:02 PM
OK will do sorry. I thought as it wasn't an alarm system issue I would post elsewhere

Offline smaug

• Non Active
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050 BLUE
Reply #18 on: 11 October, 2016, 10:46:44 PM
It was a good idea to post a new thread but yiu don't want to split your help up!

Offline Vaguey1

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #19 on: 11 October, 2016, 10:56:53 PM
 :430:
How do I close it

reconstruction