Random Gallery Image

Tiger 800 New

Views: 253
Posted by: KildareMan
in: KildareMan

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Peace and Quiet at last  (Read 3348 times)

Offline seangee

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Re: Peace and Quiet at last
« Reply #40 on: 06 April, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by R3morf3R [+]
83 + (7 for shipping) for the Puig screen.
I came back last night and held the two screens next to each other.
The Puig  is slightly darker than the OEM screen and also somewhat wider at the top (and 120 mm higher, as I already mentioned).

I drove about 200 km yesterday with the 5/20 mod. I was on the road with another helmet (testing a C4), there was a lot of side wind and I was wearing different ear plugs so the results weren't at all comparable to former experiences.

I found the C4 to be very loud, compared to my X-1004, but it may have been a result of the different screen angle (or different ear plugs). Maybe I'll post some more info on a comparison of both helmets in a different thread soon...
deliberately used the same helmet (Shoei GT air), plugs and jacket for all the rides to give myself the best chance.

Interestingly the hotel I stayed at last night provides ear plugs as they are near a trainline. I tried them last night and was quite impressed. Not sold as bike plugs and they are tiny, I use foam plugs anyway so I put them back in this morning and still impressed (but only 6 miles on A/B roads). So asked for another pack and will give them a go  :001:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline R3morf3R

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2017
  • City / Town: Brussels
Installation and test of the Puig Screen
« Reply #41 on: 11 April, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
This weekend, I had some time and installed and tested my new Puig screen. It's about 12 cm higher and a bit wider at the top than the oem screen.
I used my X-Lite X-1004 modular helmet and a Cardo Packtalk Intercom (which is my standard equipment for normal driving).

Installation

It's a breeze. You re-use the oem screen bracket and screws. Screen height adjustment feels smoother than before (Will check if the screws are tight enough  :001:).

Testing

I drove around 300 kilometers in several positions. The highest position works best for me.
Up to 100 km/h, I have no pressure on the chest and no buffeting.
At 120 km/h, there is no pressure on the chest and a slight bit of helmet buffeting, but nothing too serious. (Up to 140, it's acceptable).
There is also some whistling, but that changes with head position, so might be helmet/intercom related.
At higher speeds, I just tuck my head in a little and rest my upper body on the tank bag, so there is not a lot of effort involved.
You are then in a pretty silent bubble of air (with ear plugs !).
It's not something I am willing to do for extended periods of time, but for a short spell of overtaking, that's fine for me.

Summarized, the Puig will stay on the TS. It's not perfect, but feels a lot better than oem at motorway speeds.
I am about 6' 3" (191.5 cm) and my neurosurgeon says I have a ridiculously long spine and thus upper body, so your experience with this screen might vary.

A final bit of information:
I have the lower seat installed (= minus 2 cm), not because I can't reach the ground, but to compensate for my height.
In my mind, it also feels better for cornering and maneuvering at low speeds, but that's probably a placebo effect...  :084:

« Last Edit: 11 April, 2017, 10:21:24 AM by R3morf3R »

Offline R3morf3R

• Tiger Member
MRA
« Reply #42 on: 11 April, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »
I just got a mail reply from MRA following my request and they will be doing a windshield for the new TS, but couldn't say when it would be available yet.
« Last Edit: 11 April, 2017, 01:44:10 PM by R3morf3R »

Offline seangee

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Re: Installation and test of the Puig Screen
« Reply #43 on: 11 April, 2017, 09:41:31 PM »
Summarized, the Puig will stay on the TS. It's not perfect, but feels a lot better than oem at motorway speeds.
I am about 6' 3" (191.5 cm) and my neurosurgeon says I have a ridiculously long spine and thus upper body, so your experience with this screen might vary.
Did you end up using the original angle or leave the extended screws in?
What's it like for noise - compared to OE with extended screws?

If your weather was anything like ours I guess you have no idea how it copes with rain.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #44 on: 11 April, 2017, 11:50:41 PM »
Rain? What's that? Haven't seen it for over a week! This is almost unheard of where I live for this time of year - it's normally wetter than the Thames Valley.

Offline R3morf3R

• Tiger Member
Re: Installation and test of the Puig Screen
« Reply #45 on: 12 April, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Did you end up using the original angle or leave the extended screws in?
What's it like for noise - compared to OE with extended screws?

If your weather was anything like ours I guess you have no idea how it copes with rain.

Hi,

for the moment I'm using the standard screws, because I had the impression the Puig was a different angle than oem anyway because of its shape.
Being rather sensitive in the noise area, I'd say that without ear plugs, it starts to bother me at 60 km/h. Wearing ear plugs, I'm fine till 120-130 km/h.
This morning, by exception, I drove to work without ear plugs, because it's only a minor drive and got annoyed on small roads (up to 70-90 km/h)  because of the wind noise within 5 minutes.
I drove my girlfriend's learning bike this weekend, a KTM Duke 125 and that seemed a lot more quiet. Then again, it takes ages (or never) to reach decent speeds compared to the TS.
I have no direct comparison to the oem with longer screws, as those tests were with the C4 helmet (which should in theory be more silent than my X-1004, but not by much).
To me, the major difference with elongated screws and Puig screen will not be found in the noise reduction, but rather pressure reduction on the upper body.
I don't normally commute with the bike, so tend to avoid rain if possible, so no, I unfortunately don't have any idea about rain.
For the moment, I'm happy with this, but once MRA brings out their new Vario, will most certainly try that too.
I am used to far more expensive tuning, coming from a fast car with dodgy oem brakes, no decent exhaust sound and heavy rims.... Loved the supercharged engine though, still miss it, compared to turbocharged ones. Instant gas response is addictive and big V8 engines are a no go over here, because of ridiculous taxes...
I'm really happy the TS reacts instantly.
It took a while for the ECU to recover after installing the SC Projec low exhaust, but she's back with perfect fuelling now (and great MPG).
Back to topic then it is.  The Puig is certainly not perfect, but fixes most of my current problems.
Come on, Dsire from MRA, give me some good news about the production date soon ;-).
« Last Edit: 12 April, 2017, 08:27:30 AM by R3morf3R »

Offline R3morf3R

• Tiger Member
« Reply #46 on: 13 April, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]

In the quest for decent wind protection as well as a quiet riding experience TB2 :020: posted that he had made his screen more upright. I have also seen this on an ad for a 3rd party adjustable bracket which is not yet available for the 16/17 model.

Hi Seangee,

what 3rd party bracket are you talking about in this post?
I may just buy it to do some more experimenting wit the Puig screen if it's compatible or may alternatively try your original 5/20 mod with it.
The chest pressure is gone, but I simply seem to be too tall or too far from the screen for silence around my head or my expectations are unreasonable.
Yesterday, I went for some driving to a friend living 60 km away who had a brand new Street Twin he desperately wanted to try out. Having a lot of trouble with my neck recently, I opted for a light weight jet helmet and custom fitted shooting range ear plugs (-30 db), but motorway was still unbearably loud to me at 100 kmh+.
Slower roads were fine though and we had lots of fun on the countryside curvy roads in his neighbourhood.

« Last Edit: 13 April, 2017, 12:07:05 PM by R3morf3R »

Offline seangee

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #47 on: 13 April, 2017, 01:44:14 PM »
Hi Seangee,

what 3rd party bracket are you talking about in this post?
I may just buy it to do some more experimenting wit the Puig screen if it's compatible or may alternatively try your original 5/20 mod with it.
The chest pressure is gone, but I simply seem to be too tall or too far from the screen for silence around my head or my expectations are unreasonable.
Yesterday, I went for some driving to a friend living 60 km away who had a brand new Street Twin he desperately wanted to try out. Having a lot of trouble with my neck recently, I opted for a light weight jet helmet and custom fitted shooting range ear plugs (-30 db), but motorway was still unbearably loud to me at 100 kmh+.
Slower roads were fine though and we had lots of fun on the countryside curvy roads in his neighbourhood.
Think it was Palmer products - but it doesn't fit our bikes.

Offline R3morf3R

• Tiger Member
« Reply #48 on: 13 April, 2017, 01:52:24 PM »
Ok,

I'll try the 5/20 mod with the Puig screen when I find some time in the near future.
If that doesn't work, I'll wait for the MRA screen, I was told to check their site again Q4 of 2017.

Offline TB2

• Tiger Member
  • City / Town: Welwyn
« Reply #49 on: 13 April, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »
I spent 10 hours on the bike at the weekend so a good test for my latest screen set up which is OEM extended by around 10mm bottom and 20mm top and Givi spoiler.  For me this gives me exacty what I want - it's quiet, no buffeting but enough air movement so that the vents work, also I'm not looking through the screen or spoiler.  There's a little more wind coming through onto my arms but that's fine.  If I want to I can ride with the visor open at any speed & it's comfortable.  Very simlar affect to the 'riot shield' Madstad I had on my 800.

I really think it's a combination of the gap and improved angle created by the 10/20 extension coupled with the spoiler (to take the airflow higher and take away any dirty air)  The only downside for me is that the spoiler is a bit heavy and looks like a 'bolt on' but I can live with that.  The Puig with the inbuilt spoiler would do the same job I would think and be neater but not sure if this is available yet

As always, screen set up is very personal and it depends on what you want to achieve and your height/helmet etc. but the ability to move the screen using extenders combined with a spoiler of some type should, IMHO, enable anyone to get a solution they're happy with.

With this sorted it's a fantastic machine - can't fault it.