Author Topic: Lowering links  (Read 4270 times)

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Re: Lowering links
Reply #10 on: 18 March, 2022, 08:19:38 PM
*Originally Posted by TimboLeMatelot [+]
Somehow you will have to suspend the frame. Can you rig a strop from a beam above?

Good job interpreting the question, it had me stymied. I can't imagine a world where my Tiger does not have a center stand, one of the first additions I made if I remember back to 2009 correctly. Chain lube, shock replacement, etc. would have been hellish. It's going to be worse for this chap once his lowering is done as the side stand is going to be iffy at best. The skyhook plan is one solution, as is two props at the relevant height and a 2x4 between them to hold up the rear end. Me? I'd use a hyrdraulic jack under the engine with a pad and just be careful with balance and weighting, maybe. Maybe get the center stand option first and address the ride height later as you'll need it in the future, IMHO.
Last Edit: 18 March, 2022, 08:21:40 PM by ZuluTiger

Offline spacker

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Nanaimo BC Canada
Reply #11 on: 21 March, 2022, 09:04:11 PM
I was told by the previous owner, that because he had fitted an aftermarket exhaust there was not a center stand that would fit. I would have got one otherwise. Sky hook not an option I'm afraid. I have a bike jack that I have used successfully on by Bonnie, but it doesn't look like it will work on the Tiger. Headers in the way etc..
Steve.

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2022, 10:58:38 AM
*Originally Posted by spacker [+]
I was told by the previous owner, that because he had fitted an aftermarket exhaust there was not a center stand that would fit. I would have got one otherwise. Sky hook not an option I'm afraid. I have a bike jack that I have used successfully on by Bonnie, but it doesn't look like it will work on the Tiger. Headers in the way etc..
Steve.

Interesting, the only full system I have ever seen is the short lived Remus twin can system. It was nice looking and sounded great but was expensive and did not allow the use of the centerstand or OEM side cases. Not sure what Remus was thinking, they probably would have sold well if they offered a system that did not have those issues. Their low mount Powercone slip on was very popular with the 1st. gen Tiger 1050's. How about a couple pictures of your Tiger's system? :031:
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #13 on: 22 March, 2022, 11:07:20 AM
The issue might be the stop for the stand which can be addressed with a little ingenuity. Some aftermarket offerings did not have it, I believe.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #14 on: 22 March, 2022, 11:30:12 AM
Don't want it wobbling about. How about, on side stand, with trolley jack or stand under opposite side centre-stand mounting lug. It doesn't need to lift much, just enough to take weight off rear wheel while you swap the plates & grease bushes. What y'all reckon?
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline spacker

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Nanaimo BC Canada
Reply #15 on: 12 April, 2022, 12:57:10 AM
I have tried to upload pics but had no luck. I have an arrow exhaust fitted. No frame tubes to take the weight of the bike and only the center stand lugs seem to be available to support the weight. Still trying to figure it out :006:

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #16 on: 12 April, 2022, 01:09:55 AM
Get a center stand. Make a plan to add a stop using a clamp and a rest with a rubber stop. I think many owners have over-thought this just because the supplier says 'Not going to work', based on the stand stop. In reality, it's just the stop! A hose clamp and something from your hardware store will easily make your pain less. And, you really need a center stand for almost everything. IMHO, make that work and save much pain down the line.

A later fix will need a small welded bracket added by your local muffler store, if you so desire. I'd just go with the hose clamp...  :084:

BTW (By The Way), I like your avatar. I don't think I've seen a helmet used before...   
Last Edit: 12 April, 2022, 01:16:04 AM by ZuluTiger

Offline rayjay

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: TS DR400 serow BSA A10
  • City / Town: Haywards Heath
Reply #17 on: 13 April, 2022, 08:20:40 PM
When I bought my 16 sport it had a low mount remus, wasn't sure that I liked it and as I had a can that I wanted tp try, I needed a link pipe but it had to have a snubber for the centre stand. Solution was I bought an accident damaged standard can and cut the pipe off. Leaving me with a link pipe heat shields and C/stand snubber

Offline Tyke57nz

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Sport
Reply #18 on: 25 April, 2022, 06:44:52 AM
Hi
Recently lowered my Tiger by 25mm and used an adaptor I made to fit my Trolley Jack. Lust Racing recommended lowering front forks by 12mm which for me seems to work on the rides I have been on so far here in NZ. Lust Racing recommend for their 40mm lowering kit dropping the forks by 14mm. Cheers

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #19 on: 25 April, 2022, 10:22:41 AM
Approx 7 or 8 years ago, I fitted lowering links to my TS, manufacturer recommended drop 15mm front for 25 rear, after a few trials I settled on 25r/18f, works for me.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

reconstruction