Author Topic: Anywhere to secure a chain to on the 1050 (excluding wheels)?  (Read 3358 times)

Offline hipponax

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2007
  • City / Town: Glasgow
If a chain merely goes through a wheel then even with a ground anchor this can be problematic whats the best way to deal with this ? longer chain (downside is more leverage for a thief) or is there a point on the 1050 chassis where a chain can pass through? The chain I would be passing through is 16mm

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
what about thru the hole in the swingarm that the shock goes thru,

Offline mjgt

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Clevedon
I think that hole is full of shocker  :084:
Keep the rubber side down.   Mick

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
*Originally Posted by mjgt [+]
I think that hole is full of shocker  :084:

there is space around it not sure how much

Offline trumpet tigger

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger SE
  • City / Town: Beverley
Re: Anywhere to secure a chain to on the 1050 (excluding wheels)?
Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:58:09 AM
Shocker hole would be a PITA, but anywhere else would not be really secure - forks, exhaust, luggage rack...
Most secure is through back wheel and over the seat if no anchor. I use a wall mounted anchor so chain is off the floor so helps protect against bolt cutters, but to be honest, if I was a bike thief I would use an 18v grinder with slitting disc - not a chain on the market would last a minute against that.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:15:58 AM
I use a concreted in ground anchor through the centre stand with both anchor & bike up against the wall so making it difficult to get in there with bolt cropper & awkward for an angle grinder. Or to remove the centre stand if they have the time. Couple of 8 alarm locks from Aldi just to make a noise. Garage is alarmed anorl. If they want it they'll get it, I heard of one where they cut the top off the garage door & hauled the bike over the top of a car.

Those rawl bolted ground anchors can be whipped out in a minute with a crowbar. Friend of mine had his GSXR1000 taken with h/d cover locked on, rawlbolted ground anchor & chain through wheel, they took the lot, no sign & nobody heard a thing.

Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline trumpet tigger

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger SE
  • City / Town: Beverley
Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2016, 09:41:21 AM

*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
If they want it they'll get it, I heard of one where they cut the top off the garage door & hauled the bike over the top of a car.

I'd like to see that tried with the Tiger! They must have made a real mess of the car roof... Poor guy, as if getting your bike nicked ain't bad enough, you have a reminder every time you need your car till you can get that sorted too.
Scumbags.

Offline Hoggins

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050SE (2010)
  • City / Town: Bristol
Reply #7 on: 05 December, 2018, 10:38:55 PM
Heh, I've just been googling this very thing - Deciding my 18ish mm Oxford chain wasnt man enough, today took delivery of an Almax Immobiliser V - God damned the thing is heavy, and with the 2Kilo padlock its a LOT of weight to lug around... Well, the one time I'm actually going to carry it was enough, not exactly portable, but I bought it purely for home use.

BUT, my problem now is where to actually route the chain. The links are 22mm thick, with a link width of about 90mm, not exactly easy to route through the swingarm - Tonight, its just routed through the rear wheel, it was raining and I diddnt fancy trying to figure out a better location in the rain, however tomorrow plan on having a proper look-see... but honestly cant think where I'm going to route it.

I've a second anchor on the way shortly, Y-Anchor designed for the 22mm chains, and with some rebar I cant see anyone pulling that up easily... I'm just concerned the only place the chain will actually fit is through the rear wheel!

Will keep you posted

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2018, 05:34:13 AM
Oh dear.... hadn't considered that issue.

Had just assumed that I could pull out the high powered .22, with silencer, and pick the perpetrators off one at a time, as they try and work out where the shots are coming from  :008:

I have a Triumph original D-Lock I guess I could secure to a ground mount  :187:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:28:31 AM
The problem is when we're not at home. Neighbours ignore alarms, don't want or too scared to do anything, can't even be arsed to phone plod, don't want to get involved. Doesn't help when you're the only biker on the road, others would look out for each other.

All we can do in those circumstances is make it as difficult & as noisy as possible. I have vibration alarms on the garage roof, this seems to be the favoured route for robbers to get into garages, sheds & even houses 'cos it doesn't set off alarms & all valuable are usually upstairs. The house alarm also runs to the garage doors.

Why is it a problem putting a chain thro' a wheel?
With a concreted in Y anchor close to the wall & the chain thro' the centre stand & wheel, I have to lie on the floor to lock/unlock. Can't get at it with bolt croppers strong enough to cut the chain.

As said, an angle grinder will only take a minute but makes a fair bit of noise. All my tools, (inc angle grinder) are in the garage with my bikes but they are locked up. Slow them down another minute.

The scrotes seem to know where to look for expensive toys, maybe they have lookouts eg paper lads & dog walking scouts, I see the latter non-locals walking past clocking every house they pass. Give um a looking at.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.