Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another Cracked Piston?  (Read 18508 times)

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
Re: Another Cracked Piston?
« Reply #100 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:35:43 AM »
Um, so a NEW spring from Sprint Eng at 76.58mm is quite a bit longer than a NEW oem spring from Triumph at 71.00mm. Interesting.

Although I've bought and fitted replacement springs from Sprint Eng myself, and have recommended them to others, I've long suspected an overly stretched camchain that jumped a couple of teeth on the cam sprockets on a 2005 1050 S3 I had was a consequence of a too long/strong spring.

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
« Reply #101 on: 06 April, 2020, 02:12:21 AM »
No cam chain adjuster, new or old, long spring or shorter, will prevent this:  an overly stretched camchain that jumped a couple of teeth on the cam sprockets
The best substitute for brains is ........what?

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
« Reply #102 on: 06 April, 2020, 05:38:56 AM »
Think you misread my post. I said that I suspected a too long/overly strong spring was itself the cause of the overly stretched camchain.

The bike in question had what I think was a Sprint Eng spring and a small spacer so was putting an inordinate amount of pressure on the tensioner blade.

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
« Reply #103 on: 06 April, 2020, 08:56:11 AM »
ha ha silly me.   :034:

All the same, those Triumph cam chains are pretty good from what I've seen.  How many km had it done?

Offline spope1970

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 08'&09' 1050 tigers
  • City / Town: Blythewood
« Reply #104 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Time for some "Pass it Forward" If your interested.

Timbox, I'm definitely interested. Shouldn't be much postage considering the "pudding" cables was under 20USD

address would be  blythewood SC 29016 USA. Let me know how we can make this happen. I can paypal or what ever works best for you.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #105 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:10:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by spope1970 [+]
Timbox, I'm definitely interested. Shouldn't be much postage considering the "pudding" cables was under 20USD

address would be  blythewood SC 29016 USA. Let me know how we can make this happen. I can paypal or what ever works best for you.

Ok mate, leave it with me, send us your proper name etc in a PM
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
« Reply #106 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:15:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Freddy [+]
.......those Triumph cam chains are pretty good from what I've seen.  How many km had it done?

The bike in question had done 36000kms but it had an unknown history. It was clear when I got it that a previous owner had an issue with the camchain drive. I agree that Triumph cam chains were pretty good however I can assure you they are not as good as they were. They used to be Japanese made Tsubaki. Excellent quality. Now, and I'm not sure when the change occurred, they are made in Thailand and not by any brand that is known to me. Maybe some Asian offshoot of Morse. All I know is they are prone to noticeable wear of both link flanks and crotches making them much more likely to jump sprocket teeth.

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Holland, MI
« Reply #107 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:35:58 PM »
VARNERJU, I know it's been a while but I am about to go thru this on my 08' and I noticed in your photo collection that you honed and lapped pistons and valves. I was under the impression, or made to believe this could not be done due to the coating. Any input on this? also, hows it running now since its been a few years since you're rebuild?<SNIP>

WOAH, I guess I missed this a few days ago. Sorry, that I missed it, sorry that you are going through it, but glad that others have chimed in and hope my photo album boosts your confidence. It is a much different animal than most other engines, and that was my saving grace, because the guy I was chatting with at work was looking at the manual with me and eventually said "I wanna see how this works" so I got his superior engine-knowledge and well outfitted shop to my disposal.

The year after rebuild I didn't ride much, just family vacations and whatnot, but the next year I had a lot of miles to record some data. I found that it consumed no oil when fresh with 10W40 Amsoil, even in gawd aweful desert conditions (114F) cruizing at 80MPH but once I hit ~4K miles, it started needing to be topped off, which was fine because that was about my planned time to change it anyway, I was just looking to align with when I was home to change it, but keeping a close eye on it on a long trip.

It has been starting good, though weak when I went to change the oil for the winterization a week after we hit a cold snap. Just got it out this week and it started well the first time, but not well after sitting for two days. Hmmm... Might need to look into your pudding cables and more about that starter relay.

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Holland, MI
« Reply #108 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:41:55 PM »

Wow, I see a few other thread discussions that I had been in referenced with the whole camchain thing (and I don't get around on here too much, so I'm certainly surprised.)

As one of those thread showed, I was researching spec'ing a replacement local to the states. I had missed out on a group buy from that Sprint Engineering company, but would like to replace the cam tensioner as it does seem a bit louder than normal, though I also wondered if perhaps because I had just torn everything down I was just more acutely aware of it. Seems to have been running fine, but I would enjoy having a spare or swapping it out, but I remember a $5 having a $20 shipping or something like that. I should probably search again, but if Timbox is willing to send a box across the pond, could you trow a few extra springs in it, then spope would you be willing to disinfect them and distribute?

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
« Reply #109 on: 07 April, 2020, 01:00:26 AM »
 :005:  All I know is they are prone to noticeable wear of both link flanks and crotches making them much more likely to jump sprocket teeth.     :031: