Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: K&N oil filter failure  (Read 8275 times)

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: K&N oil filter failure
« Reply #60 on: 19 January, 2019, 09:20:05 PM »
I have used the hi-flo filters for all the oil changes on my tiger and previous bandit.
Wouldn't touch those K&N ones with a bargepole after I heard about the recalls due to the welds on the nut giving way a couple of years ago 👎👎
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #61 on: 20 January, 2019, 08:11:49 AM »
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Timbox

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #62 on: 20 January, 2019, 08:31:13 AM »
 :462:  I have used pattern filters in the past all without issue but have stuck with Genuine up to now on the TS, my local bike shop (CMC) keeps genuine filters on the shelf as they sell loads of Triumphs.
I dont like the idea of any protrusion on the end of the filter, the Tiger filter is fairly well hidden but adding a nut makes a target for a bit of debris chucked up from the road
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Online gosling 1

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #63 on: 20 January, 2019, 03:40:09 PM »
The problem with OEM and most aftermarket oil filters is they are always looking for lower manufacturing costs and maximizing profit. What's good today may not be the next time you buy one. The OEM branded filters and many aftermarket brands don't make their filters, they outsource them. K&N have not always been crap, they have been made by some decent manufactures including Hiflo in the past. It was not until they outsourced them to China that they started to have issues. The latest ones may have addressed the issues but the damage to their reputation is already done. Triumph was getting their filters from Filtech USA and the last one I purchased was from Wix Poland. The new ones seem to be good quality too. The OEM filters for my car were also made by Filtech but now are made by Fram which noticeably poorer quality, there are videos of both cut open to prove it. I use OEM Triumph filters on my Tiger but would use a Hiflo HF-204RC in a pinch, they seem to be good quality and are made by their own factory.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #64 on: 20 January, 2019, 04:32:47 PM »
The companies that supposedly make filters in-house might only be assembling components in-house. The components could have been made anywhere in the world and likely at the lowest cost the buyers could screw the suppliers down to. A local back street press shop owned by an old friend was supplying components for K&N air filters back in the early 90's.

My own experience has been, following recommendation, buying two K&N air filters in 2012, one for my ST1050 which didn't fit, the replacement didn't fit either. I did get a full refund from the authorised supplier, OE part fitted fine. The other one was for my Serow, that fitted but screwed up the fuelling, after two attempts at rejetting the bike was stolen, so I can't say much about that one.

Luckily, I never suffered K&N oil filters, disturbing that the problem with the welded nut first cropped up in 2015 as far as I recall, may have been earlier. Only for the internet, who would have known how big and dangerous a problem it really is. The company was very slow on the recall. We still hear the same problem now. Either bad ones are still out there, or the problem has not been resolved.

We don't really know what we are getting or who makes what. I thought Fram were a poor quality & Mahle were good but anybody's guess.....
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3362785/MAHLE_Oil_Filters_made_for_FRA

Leonardo da Vinci

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #65 on: 20 January, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »
No point us plebs buying that, only a trained mechanic can fit them, sez so right on the box...

I've used the HF204 just about every time I think.

*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
« Last Edit: 20 January, 2019, 05:14:43 PM by Sidewinder »

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #66 on: 20 January, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
No point us plebs buying that, only a trained mechanic can fit them, sez so right on the box...

:460: Ha, yes, might cause death or injury!
Leonardo da Vinci

Online gosling 1

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #67 on: 20 January, 2019, 06:29:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
  :460: Ha, yes, might cause death or injury!

Think that warning belongs on the K&N's  :001:
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #68 on: 20 January, 2019, 06:33:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by gosling 1 [+]
Think that warning belongs on the K&N's  :001:

:745: :745: :745:
Leonardo da Vinci