Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How fast can a Tiger go?  (Read 10745 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline indytiger1050

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • *
  • Posts: 21694
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
  • Country: USA
Re: How fast can a Tiger go?
« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2015, 01:16:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by mjgt [+]
The maximum theoretical speed of a Tiger Sport at max power is 153mph and 171mph at the red line.  This is assuming there is no drag at all and in perfect conditions.
  Curious on were you found those numbers.

Gearing commander has the gear ratios of a stock bike. So the max number I posted should be it.
Unless the ratio's are incorrect of course.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Lofty

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2384
  • City / Town: Worthing
  • Country: England.
Re: How fast can a Tiger go?
« Reply #11 on: 10 October, 2015, 01:53:04 PM »
The first edition of the Tiger with 3 button clocks had a max recorded speed function on the display. Handy apart from when you got a pull from the police. I think the 2006/ 2007 was tested by most bike mags at around 138 mph. The aerodynamics slow it down. I think the original Sprint ST 1050 top speed was somewhere a tad over 150. Same BHP better aerodynamics. 153 or 171 really?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Offline Carey

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1185
  • City / Town: Central PA
  • Country: USA
Re: How fast can a Tiger go?
« Reply #12 on: 10 October, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has jammed more than one atmosphere in one.  Has any hit 150? What happens or why do they stop going faster do they back out on there own or did the bike hit the end of its limit? Was it on the speedo or GPS or gun or what.

When I owned a FZ1, people on the internet reported their top speed around 150, via GPS.  I never attempted a top speed run when I owned mine, but 120 came up pretty quick. The FZ1 is more aerodynamic and has about 30 more HP.

I've heard of a certain Tiger trying to keep up with a FZ1 and FJR on US 50, between Black Canyon and Gunnison, CO saw about 118 on the GPS before realizing they'd never catch the Yamahas.  There was a little more available, but not much.

Offline indytiger1050

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • *
  • Posts: 21694
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
  • Country: USA
Re: How fast can a Tiger go?
« Reply #13 on: 10 October, 2015, 04:00:18 PM »
I had 2k left, the rpm was climbing slowly. 
  GPS verified my speed.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline mjgt

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2649
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Clevedon
  • Country: Great Britain
Re: How fast can a Tiger go?
« Reply #14 on: 10 October, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
  Curious on were you found those numbers.

Gearing commander has the gear ratios of a stock bike. So the max number I posted should be it.
Unless the ratio's are incorrect of course.

For the past 20 years I have calculated the theoretical speeds for all gears at all revs using the information from the manuals.
Revs divided by Primary, divided by gear ratio etc etc.  I now have it down on an excel spread sheet for all the bikes I have owned just for my own interest, that's where I got those figures for the Tiger Sport, I believe the ratios for the 1050 are a little different.
Keep the rubber side down.   Mick

Offline smaug

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5459
  • GRRRRRRR
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050 BLUE
  • Country: USA
Re: How fast can a Tiger go?
« Reply #15 on: 10 October, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Carey [+]
When I owned a FZ1, people on the internet reported their top speed around 150, via GPS.  I never attempted a top speed run when I owned mine, but 120 came up pretty quick. The FZ1 is more aerodynamic and has about 30 more HP.

I've heard of a certain Tiger trying to keep up with a FZ1 and FJR on US 50, between Black Canyon and Gunnison, CO saw about 118 on the GPS before realizing they'd never catch the Yamahas.  There was a little more available, but not much.
I have a higher number only 3 points lower then that as my last speed and my speedo is adjusted to be accurate through tune ecu.
ginger beer still popular here?

Offline indytiger1050

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • *
  • Posts: 21694
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
  • Country: USA
Re: How fast can a Tiger go?
« Reply #16 on: 10 October, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by mjgt [+]
For the past 20 years I have calculated the theoretical speeds for all gears at all revs using the information from the manuals.
Revs divided by Primary, divided by gear ratio etc etc.  I now have it down on an excel spread sheet for all the bikes I have owned just for my own interest, that's where I got those figures for the Tiger Sport, I believe the ratios for the 1050 are a little different.
  An Excel guru. Great..

Wouldn't have a form one could put in tolerances for shims needed.
Shim's sizes and which one's need to be replaced and of course ordered and the ones that could be moved to another position.

Used to have one for my Honda but can't find it now.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline loxias

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 39
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2011
  • City / Town: Volos
  • Country: Greece
Re: How fast can a Tiger go?
« Reply #17 on: 10 October, 2015, 09:46:10 PM »
Best i ve done was 252km/h speedo reading with no correction!
It was a bit scary though!

Offline indytiger1050

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • *
  • Posts: 21694
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
  • Country: USA
Re: How fast can a Tiger go?
« Reply #18 on: 10 October, 2015, 10:15:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by loxias [+]
Best i ve done was 252km/h speedo reading with no correction!
It was a bit scary though!
   What gear and RPM..

Assuming near redline.. says 155mph  so being uncorrected figure you were at 7K rpm in 6th if in the tiger.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline mjgt

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2649
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Clevedon
  • Country: Great Britain
Re: How fast can a Tiger go?
« Reply #19 on: 10 October, 2015, 11:18:39 PM »
 :008: No Excel guru, took me ages to work it out so now I just copy a new sheet for each bike and alter the ratios as required.
Keep the rubber side down.   Mick