Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2009 Tiger 1050 ECU Tune Recomendation  (Read 6093 times)

Offline cyberience

• Tiger Member
  • Cyberience
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Hong Kong
2009 Tiger 1050 ECU Tune Recomendation
« on: 10 August, 2015, 04:58:57 PM »
Bike Chassis/VI No, SMTTXXXXXX3806xx
Bike year 2009
Has a MIVV Exhaust, looks like an Arrow,

My issues are this, I see a range of ECU files, And not sure if my bike has had the Air flow mod, so need some guidance on checking it.

The guy who had my bike before me, loaded some setting, and no idea what it is or what version it is, all I know is, the Bike Runs Hotter than I like, in a place like Hong Kong, with temperatures around 30-35, this can be quite a strain. but I am finding that, the Bike Runs OK with exceleration and tick over, but when cruising, I get the feeling the Chain is tugging, but after a detailed check and service, it appears that the timing or ecu settings are wrong, so it is either miss firing or firing ahead of the cycle.
My plan of action is the following,
1: Plug the TuneECU in, check the balance of the vacuums to be sure the cylinders are balanced,
2, lower the level for the fan to come on, currently comes on at 7 bars, but the bike seems to reach 7 bars quiet often.
3: load a map that would smooth the bike out.
If this doesn't work, ill put the original exhaust back on and look for the default Map, but this Secondary air injection needs identifying.
If there is any recommendation, or any one has seen the same issue I have, please share your experience. and remember I am running in a Hotter country. BTW the fuel rating in HK is 98RON.
Thanks
Geoff
:440:
« Last Edit: 11 August, 2015, 09:43:57 AM by cyberience »
To Bearly go where no one ever bearly wanted to go before,

Offline smaug

• Tiger God
  • GRRRRRRR
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050 BLUE
Re: 2009 Tiger 1050 ECU Tune Recomendation
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2015, 05:29:10 PM »
Leave the fan settings alone,what you have  occurring is normal and probably necessary.  As for tune,I recomended Dave's tune for stock tiger.  Maybe someone will chime in and let you know where to find that,arrow road would also be a good choice,either one would smooth out the lower rpm .
ginger beer still popular here?

Offline odradek

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Lisbon
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
 :0461:

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2015, 03:03:58 AM »
 :0461:

And Hi Geoff  :405:

Spend a couple of minutes in the new members section and give a longer HELLO.
There are a couple of tigers in Hong Kong.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline cyberience

• Tiger Member
  • Cyberience
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2015, 09:22:43 AM »
Thanks, I had the First Tiger in Hong Kong, it was a 955, but got stollen. A few years later, I now have the 1050, what reason would be to not lower the Fan active tempreture? I was reading that in the summer, in the UK, it was recomeneded, considering Hong Kong is summer 10 months a year, would be a better setting.
Can you confirm the miss fire, or rough engine feel i get while cruising is the ECU option? maybe set to the wrong fuel or a result of the exhaust pipe? would I be better putting the stock exhaust back on and setting the ecu to a TOR setting, if I can find one.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2015, 11:22:38 AM »
If you don't have issues with using aftermarket exhausts, pull the cat, make sure all the air boxs mod's are done and load my tune.
I do have a thread of who can run my tune and not for setup comparisons but this is also a recent post a member started.

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,30049.msg375961.html#msg375961

Stock setup your very limited for tunes, it's Triumph's or Dave's. 

Offline cyberience

• Tiger Member
  • Cyberience
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2015, 04:10:29 PM »
Thanks Dave, I wonder though the Tune looks like its for 91Ron where as our fuel is 98, I have discovered my bike doesn't have the Air mod and is running the 20542 Arrow 'E' 95Ron and above tune.

If i do the air mod, will this help smooth the engine, and not give a snatch feel when cruising, and when i say cruising, I mean that state between execrating and slowing, where the engine just turns over at the same speed as the bike, and gives a Grinding like feeling, as if the Chain was loose and snatching.
Hard to explain, maybe pinging is a way to describe what is happening.

Anyway this Saturday ill connect the TuneECU and see if there is a balance in the air flow and any error messages.

The problem with Triumph is we have no Service centre here to check this stuff, so i have to figure it out, and teach the local mechanics when some serious work is needed.
I wish someone who understands how this behaviour happens can explain to me in layman terms something like its running lean, and firing ahead of the cycle causing get engine to kick back on the drive when not pulling or being pulled.

Regards :431:

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:17:51 AM »
Don't try to reinvent the wheel, decide on what configuration you want to run. Find the tune that works and leave it be.

Can you run an open exhaust?
Always suggest using 98 ron fuel or the highest you can get.

Offline smaug

• Tiger God
  • GRRRRRRR
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050 BLUE
« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:31:13 AM »
 :462:
ginger beer still popular here?

Online TCC

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2015, 02:45:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by cyberience [+]
.............will this help smooth the engine, and not give a snatch feel when cruising, and when i say cruising, I mean that state between execrating and slowing, where the engine just turns over at the same speed as the bike, and gives a Grinding like feeling, as if the Chain was loose and snatching.
Hard to explain, maybe pinging is a way to describe what is happening.

I wish someone who understands how this behaviour happens can explain to me in layman terms something like its running lean, and firing ahead of the cycle causing get engine to kick back on the drive when not pulling or being pulled.

It's not the chain and you're overthinking things talking about "firing ahead of the cycle causing get engine to kick back on the drive when not pulling or being pulled".

What you're describing is the low speed/low throttle opening snatch and surging (hunting) that has afflicted the Tiger 1050 since it's launch. Some bikes do it to a lesser or greater extent. It seems as though Triumph, in trying to give the Tiger (a quasi adventure style bike) more bottom end and a fatter midrange, got stymied by the need to meet ever leaner emissions targets.  Search low speed snatch and you'll find heaps of discussion about it - and heaps of solutions, theories, comments that it's all in your head and you need to learn to ride etc etc. I've probably had more Triumph triples than most on here and the Tiger is the only one that I almost walked away from (as many have) because of this.   

Irrespective of whether you mod the airbox, change the pipe, run the throttle cables tight or loose, run the chain loose (normal) or even looser, getting rid of the snatch is the key to making this bike a nice ride. I know Hong Kong and imagine it must be especially annoying riding the Tiger snatch there.

Here are my suggestions in order of ease of fix:

1. Buy a Booster Plug, fit it and enjoy the bike. It goes against everything I know about automotive engine management and should be a quarter of the price but it'll work.
2. Get TuneECU. Load the latest stock tune for your bike and it's configuration. If it's still snatchy add (richen) 6% across ALL the F & L tables using the trim tables. If it's okay try coming down to 5%, then 4%, then 3% or until it snatches again then go back one.
3. Again, using Tune ECU, load a tune from a much later VIN range Tiger, even the Sport. Contrary to what you'll be told the TIGER 1050 will accept tunes from other VIN ranges. If you find a tune you're happy with just run with it.
4. Again, using TuneECU try one of the many custom tunes available. Frankentune, AK Oldman, Indys. If you find one you like, great, but don't be blindsided by the better overall performance they offer. Remember, you're trying to get rid of the snatch not add 10-12 bhp as some purport to do.
5. Find a knowledgeable dyno operator who can use TuneECU (or TuneBOY) to build you a custom tune that gives you what you want. Trouble with this is it will require repeat attempts with a ride in HK traffic necessary after each session.
6. Sell the bike and buy a 1050, or better still, a 955 Speed Triple or better still again a 955 Daytona - smoothest by far, or an early 675 Street Triple if you fit it.

This is my view only. I'll try not to get drawn into any debate/disagreements with my fellow forum members (who I respect enormously) about this.
 :300: 

« Last Edit: 12 August, 2015, 08:46:34 AM by TCC »