Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A quick check before I pull the trigger...  (Read 990 times)

Offline 185kts

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Madison, WI
A quick check before I pull the trigger...
« on: 07 July, 2015, 01:36:39 PM »
Hi guys, glad I discovered this site and all the great tuning support.  My Tiger is a 2008 with Arrow street, blocked SAI, de-cat, dog bone opened, right side inlet of air box opened, hole in the clean side of air box blocked, K&N installed, O2 sensor re-installed in gutted cat and connected.  After going through all the tunes and reading the threads on the custom tunes, it looks to me like AK's tune attached to page one of his thread is the best fit for my mods.  Any Thoughts?  Also in the running is Indy's and the Arrow race, non SAI.  Thanks for your input!

Also, I how should SAI and O2 boxes in Tune ECU be checked?  Left unchecked or checked?

Many thanks! :002:
2008 Tiger 1050  Arrow street, SAI blocked, de-cat, right side air box opened, dog bone center opened, clean side port plugged, K&N, Current tune: FrankenTune, O2 sensor, SAI not checked.

Offline day7a1

• Tiger Master
  • C'mon!!!
  • Bike/Model: 11 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: San Diego
Re: A quick check before I pull the trigger...
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2015, 10:36:28 PM »
Really depends on what kind of riding you do, but people that do those mods tend to like either version of Indy's tunes, either the original or the 20550 version that I ported. Though some claim to feel a difference, exactly what that difference is hasn't been pinned down. The non-sai arrow race is quite different than the sai version that is so popular and I've hardly heard of anyone using it. It won't be hard with your setup to improve upon the arrow street, however, which is pretty close to stock.

SAI should be unchecked if it is blocked, though it only affects the engine light so if you still have the solenoid attached for some reason then by all means check the box. If not completely blocked don't disable it, the solenoid only shuts when energized so you will make the system "always on".

O2 should be on as long as you have it attached.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2015, 02:23:06 AM »

Do the checking or not before loading the tune.
Try each, do the adaption then test for a tank unless it suck's or ping's.
Then try then next, use what works best for your setup.

:490:
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline 185kts

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2015, 11:18:21 PM »
Thanks for the input gents!  I loaded AK's tune and found it to be very smooth.  My little off-idle stumble that was contributing to my driveline vibration (that has been driving me nuts) is gone. I did notice that this tune seemed to be lacking power on the upper end of the power range.  So, looking for a bit more "yank", I threw in Paulo's FrankenTune.  I was tempted to try Indy's first but decided to go the Franken route due to the tendency of Indy's tune to be a bit on the rich side, from what I read on this forum.  Since I still have the baffle in my Arrow street can I thought this rich condition may get further aggravated with my setup.  Anyway, I initially loaded the FrankenTune without the O2 sensor checked. 

The bike seems to love this tune!  Smooth as silk, power everywhere.  I didn't notice any stumble off idle and my driveline vibration was as smooth as the AK tune.  But grab some throttle from mid range on up and this tigger turns into a scalded cat!  Very fun. I know I'll take it in the shorts for fuel economy but so be it. I'll throw something milder back in for road trips.

After this initial experience I decided to change reload the tune with the 02 box checked.  I don't think the bike felt as snappy down low and there was some popping on deceleration, even with my SAI plates blocked.  So, back to the original set up I went with the O2 box unchecked.  I will run a tank through it and get some mileage numbers soon.  Stay tuned...

One more thing...please let me know how I can make a contribution to this site. I saved lots of $$ and aggravation by not having to deal with the dreaded dealer and I want to pay it forward.   :152:

2008 Tiger 1050  Arrow street, SAI blocked, de-cat, right side air box opened, dog bone center opened, clean side port plugged, K&N, Current tune: FrankenTune, O2 sensor, SAI not checked.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2015, 12:00:54 AM »
With O2 off the bike won't adapt as well. That might have been why your initial trial was lacking.
Giving the bike a chance letting it adapt.

If I remember correctly the frankentune had some of my table's thrown in but on a newer base tune.
Some found my original tune to work better, seemed to confuse the Day's hypothesis.

The forum gladly takes support. I will be bringing this up this September for a yearly fund drive.
BUT it's open year round.

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,31697.msg368302.html#msg368302

Please say HI in the above thread to bring it up for new members.

OH, consider also supporting Alan at TuneEcu.. Just to give you an idea, tuneboy for a bike is $400, a key for another bike is $200. I paid the $200 and more than that for my tune. So it ran me close to $500 for your tune. (not including expenses to travel to Wayne)

ANYTHING is gladly accepted by the forum and Alan with gratitude.  :020:

Support the forum.   :031:

Offline welshie18

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2015, 12:44:56 AM »
185kts, do you have a tiger sport? Interested to know as the frankentune is listed as being for the sport so wondered how you got on using it on the standard (non sport) tiger? By the sounds of it, very good  :001:
2010 Tiger 1050 ABS - Black - Gi Pro - Decatted - SAI in place - K&N Filter - Mivv X Cone Exhaust - Running 20542 - Pilot Road 4s

Offline 185kts

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2015, 04:25:11 AM »
Thanks Indy.  I just made a donation to the site.  Sure do appreciate all the great tuning ideas and support available here.  :047:  I will go back to the FrankenTune version with the O2 box checked and give it a longer ride.  Also want to give your tune a spin.  Do you think my Arrow Street can is going to cause it to run too rich?  From what I read, that seems to be a possibility.  Happy to try it though given how easy it is to make these changes.  I'll report back on the FrankenTune once I give it a better trial with the O2 box checked. 

Quick question:  Do I need to reload the entire map for the 02 change or can I just check the box, reset the adaptation and recalibrate the TPS?

Welshie, look in a few pages on Paulo's thread.  You'll find a  FrankenTune file for the older 1050 there.  Good luck!

Offline welshie18

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2015, 04:45:57 AM »
Cheers will do, good work on making the donation also. :028:
2010 Tiger 1050 ABS - Black - Gi Pro - Decatted - SAI in place - K&N Filter - Mivv X Cone Exhaust - Running 20542 - Pilot Road 4s