Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Definitive Tiger Sport suspension setup thread  (Read 19980 times)

Offline molly

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 1050 Sport 2013
  • City / Town: Grantham
Re: Definitive Tiger Sport suspension setup thread
« Reply #60 on: 13 October, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »
Couldn't have put it better myself  :460:
Dave M.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #61 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:03:36 PM »
Decided to crank the rear preload up today and thought I'd try Puccio's setting of 10 clicks out and 1/2 out on rebound and have to say its pretty good. I do carry a fair bit in the top-box though. Ive left the front std at moment but may try that in a couple of days
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #62 on: 07 July, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »
Gone the whole hog now on Puccios settings Front and rear, yep Im convinced, cheers mate, bike is handling so much better and as he says, not uncomfortable at all.

To recap, 3 rings showing on fork top caps,  1 turn out on comp and rebound. Rear 10 clicks out from fully in (5 Complete turns)  Rebound 1/2 turn out from fully in.

It'll do until I grease Mr Wilbers palm

Offline Sticky

• Forum Moderator
  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #63 on: 09 July, 2017, 02:51:23 AM »
General section for Tiger 1050 discussion.

This thread is a much better fit in the Suspension and Chassis Set-up and Mods section.
Adding it to the sticky..

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #64 on: 09 July, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Gone the whole hog now on Puccios settings Front and rear, yep Im convinced, cheers mate, bike is handling so much better and as he says, not uncomfortable at all.

To recap, 3 rings showing on fork top caps,  1 turn out on comp and rebound. Rear 10 clicks out from fully in (5 Complete turns)  Rebound 1/2 turn out from fully in.

It'll do until I grease Mr Wilbers palm

Just wondering if you are a lighter rider like Puccio or if this is a good setup for us heavier chaps? (93kg)
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - Nitron R2 Shock, Revalved forks with Ohlins spings/Oil,  SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Re-Trimmed seat, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech City Evo Tank Bag, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand,  Ventura rear rack.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #65 on: 09 July, 2017, 03:12:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkd102 [+]
Just wondering if you are a lighter rider like Puccio or if this is a good setup for us heavier chaps? (93kg)

Puccio is fairly light from memory, Im about 82Kg, but also have 20Kg or so of luggage most of the time. Thing is it depends what you want, probably wont suit everyone as it is fairly firm, but as I say not uncomfortably so. Ive done a 200 mile round trip today with just the top-box and a few bits and its still pretty good, mix of motorway and a good 80 or so miles of A/B roads with varying surfaces and it was great, turns in far quicker and doesnt wallow if you put the hammer down mid corner, It is actually close in feeling to my Wilbers set up on the old bike, but not quite as good.

Offline Puccio

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Cingoli
« Reply #66 on: 10 July, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »
Glad you liked the setup Tim.

As a matter of fact, since ditching stock jelly tyres I've reduced a bit both front and rear preload, now set at oem recommendation in front and 13 clicks at rear (I consider first audible detent as "zero").
The Tiger is really spot on in terms of both handling and bump absorbing, a joy and a blast to ride.
Currently on Continental Roadattack 3, btw.

With pillion on board, however, I find that I cannot aim at the desired rear end height only by spring preload, as it results in an too harsh, fatiguing ride.
We've come at 2 clicks from full hard as our best compromise, the bike hold the line on corner exit but it's not as nimble as it is when I'm alone nor it guarantee the same ground clearance from pegs.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #67 on: 10 July, 2017, 09:33:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Puccio [+]
Glad you liked the setup Tim.

As a matter of fact, since ditching stock jelly tyres I've reduced a bit both front and rear preload, now set at oem recommendation in front and 13 clicks at rear (I consider first audible detent as "zero").
The Tiger is really spot on in terms of both handling and bump absorbing, a joy and a blast to ride.
Currently on Continental Roadattack 3, btw.

With pillion on board, however, I find that I cannot aim at the desired rear end height only by spring preload, as it results in an too harsh, fatiguing ride.
We've come at 2 clicks from full hard as our best compromise, the bike hold the line on corner exit but it's not as nimble as it is when I'm alone nor it guarantee the same ground clearance from pegs.

Ah, thats interesting mate,  over the weekend I went on a longish ride and also decided to back it off 4 more clicks on the back but have left front same at moment, fine tuning eh.

Offline 2810robin

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2016 tiger sport 1050
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #68 on: 30 July, 2017, 09:50:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Puccio [+]
I wish so....  :172:

I couldn't stand the way suspensions crashed to stops, rebounded quickly and then started to oscillate forever in an uncontrolled manner, it was a slow, uncomfortable and unsatisfying ride.

Now every pothole is resolved with a slight thud, and forgotten right away.

A bit late to this party but I have come form an ohlins spec' speed r so I'm used to a harder ride and would prefer it so I'll be giving these settings a go for sure. Way too much sponginess, wallow and head shake in its current standard setup.

Offline Christy

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hull
« Reply #69 on: 02 April, 2019, 11:42:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Just back from Steve Jordan racing and this is how we ended up. I'm 15 1/2 stone (96kgs) without kit.
Setup for solo riding:

Front:
Preload: 10 turns on (2 rings showing)
Compression: 2 turns out
Rebound: 2.5 turns out (min)

Rear:
Preload: 14 clicks out
Rebound: 2.5 turns out

Dramatic improvement on stock.
  • Still some jarring when I unexpectedly hit a bump, but much better than before
  • No more skipping (pogo'ing) on undulating surfaces (but still a slight feeling of sea sickness)
  • No more diving front on brakes
  • No more floating front on acceleration (i.e. squatting)
  • Holds its line perfectly in corners (was inclined to understeer on the way out
  • Turns in a bit quicker

His suggestion for luggage is to add 5 clicks of pre-load and +1/2 turn on rebound. Didn't ask about 2 up because I'll never need that.

As the comments suggest its much better but not fantastic. I'll ride for a couple of weeks before deciding if I want to upgrade as I think this bike will be a keeper.

I know that this is an old, post but thanks for posting Seangee.  :028:
I wasn't happy with the handling of  my recently purchased 2016 sport and was thinking of changing it. I tried a few of the other setting listed and thought that this was a bit radical, but then thought what the hell. It has transformed the bike. The front no longer feels like it is going to tuck at low speeds and it is no longe upset by the pot holed cart tracks we are using for roads and so much easier to change direction in fast bends. I was worth spending an hour playing with the settings and riding the same bit of road six times. Im a happy camper now.
« Last Edit: 02 April, 2019, 11:44:34 AM by Christy »
2016 Tiger Sport