Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2 more mods, this bike cant get better can it?  (Read 4806 times)

Offline jamiesk

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Ipswich
Re: 2 more mods, this bike cant get better can it?
« Reply #20 on: 16 May, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kaydubya [+]
Well i've done a few miles now with the 19 front and up until this afternoon was completely satisfied infact really impressed with how it smoothens the feel through the tansmission and therefore the whole feel of the bike whilst also pulling strong........but last night i had a quick ride on my tuono for the first time this year!!!! Dam near ripped my arms out whilst wheelieing its nuts off everywhere. Went out on the tiger this aft and it felt very sluggish compared, it got me thinking have i to put the 18 back on and get that snappiness back?
but i also think why when if i want snappy, punchy performance then ride the tuono after all i did get the tiger for smooth comfy mile munching with a bigger tank range.

I'm doing a 600 mile trip next weekend to visit my brother, i might take the 18 with me and swap to the 18 at his and do an mpg comparison worked out on actual litres-miles covered rather than dash read out.

The Tuono is a nice playful puppy  :047:

I'd take the 18 and swap it over - otherwise you might never know. Worth half an hour in the garage so you report back to us lot.

The fuel consumption might change because of your attitude to the "new bike". A bit like when the baffles came out of my FZ750 and I got back from Birmingham via the back roads quicker than I took getting there at cruising speed on dual carriageways. :005:
Puch Maxi pedal power moped,FS1SE, CB125,RD350F new C-reg powervalve (1Aug85), H100 for commuting after the above went, CB250N and a "new" engine after 2 years commuting. Then I got rid of other half, not married but might as well have been :( and got a RGV250 about 2 weeks later :) , KLR650, FZ750, TDR250, RD350F2, DR650, Fazer600 written off after 6 years, SLR650, XL1200N, GSR600, 21March14 Toni the Tiger 1050 :)
Keith

Offline trumpet tigger

• Tiger God
  • Born free, taxed to death!
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger SE
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #21 on: 16 May, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »
I think getting the suspension sprung to your weight is the best mod for the bike. Probably the biggest investment you will make, but that does truly transform the bike. I sent my forks to K-Tech for stiffer springs to support my 100kg mass, they put some better valves in too. Costs around 420 quid if I remember, including oil and seals. Also ditched the pathetic shock for a Nitron. If your bike is a keeper it's the best mod IMO.

Offline Kaydubya

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger
  • City / Town: Burnley
« Reply #22 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »
I was lucky, the previous owner lavished it with an ohlins rear shock. Its a fancy looking item with anodised bits and a fancy adjuster too, as for the front, i'm starting to think the front has been done too, it handles amazing and the only thing i think i could criticise it for is diving under braking especially low speed.

Yes its a keeper

I covered over 650 miles last weekend, 98% motorway to go south to see family in braintree and horsham. On the 19 front sprocket.
Its good for long distance work deffo, counted up litres used for miles covered and was very happy.....it averaged mid 50's mpg and i was keeping it about 70-80 depending on flow.

I used this trip as test as i havent done any long distance work on this bike yet and am going through the swiss alps in 6 weeks.
I got 150 miles before i dropped to 2 bars and the light came on, i started getting nervous when it dropped to 1 bar so brimmed it at the next station.
I sqeezed 14.82 ltr in before setting off, and squeezed in 14.65 ltr for the 2nd fill and the trip read 175.....add 5% for the 19 front = 183.75 miles
Is this correct????

If so 14.65 / 4.5 = 3.25 gal

183.75 / 3.25 = 56.53 mpg

It repeated the same mileage to light on and bars used for 2 more fill ups and each time i could just about squeeze 14.70 as an avg.
To fill the bike, i am 6'1 so can hold the bike up while on the seat. So filled it to the bottom of the cap.
So that means there was always 5 ltrs left which really surprised me, so the tank range would've been technically 239 miles!!!!!
Also each time the miles to go on the dash was 30 odd, so i would've been reading 0 miles to go for 26 miles before running out!!!!

Will i go back to an 18 front?? Part of me really wants to but most of me says no.
I found the correct speed display had other benefits, i.e. When in avg speed camera sections you can sit at the speed dead on and everyone else is Going a tad slower cause their dash indicates wrong, so you can sit in the fast lane and make progress.
knowing that when i'm cruising at 75 in the fast lane that everyone else' dash is reading 80.........stupid i know but i like it.
It is definately smoother, it pulls really well everywhere, not as strong when an 18 is fitted, but the only reason why i wont change is because its not my only bike!!
It does exactly what i wanted it do and more and i have the tuono for the madder moments
« Last Edit: 27 May, 2015, 09:59:56 PM by Kaydubya »

Offline Kaydubya

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #23 on: 27 May, 2015, 10:04:18 PM »
Oh yeah, my tiger is totally derestricted, airbox, de cat, arrow race and running indys tune

Offline Kaydubya

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #24 on: 27 May, 2015, 10:20:55 PM »
Ok, just got my receipts out

I used 56 ltrs, 12.46 gal

Covered 685 miles, thats 54.97 mpg

I deffo came home quicker, i stayed at 80 for looong periods at a time.
So the audi's and B em's approaching from behind in the fast lane were going faster than a genuine 80 their speedo's wouldve been indicating 85.

I am now in the process of getting some custom earlpugs with speakers fitted, i need to get rid of more noise than foam plugs can offer and after this trip realised music is very much missed on the motorways lol

Offline Kaydubya

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #25 on: 05 June, 2015, 11:31:40 PM »
After having parked the bike 2 weeks ago after the 685 trip down south and back without so much as a wash to remove thousands of dead bugs, i went for a quick blast yesterday.......within 1 minute i thought....gotta swap back to the 18 sprocket!!!! I miss the snappiness

So swapped it this afternoon and did a 15 mile loop of some challenging moorland roads, what a difference it was lifting its front wheel over yumps and it accelerates much better now. Its just more fun.

I cant see the mpg being that much different to honest but i go away in five weeks to france, switzerland and italy so will keep all my receipts and rack it up.

I think the 18 will make the hairpins easier as with the 19 i was deffo using the clutch at low speeds. The 18 is staying for 90% of the time but occasionally i will use the 19 

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #26 on: 05 June, 2015, 11:48:43 PM »
I agree on the 18, don't agree with swapping sprockets back and forth.

The sprockets and chain wear in together. Once worn putting a new piece in the equation will cause accelerated wear on the parts.

Pick one and stick with it. Compare the MPG difference of the total trip amount of gas used would change by how much?

That's my 2 cent's, I'm sure others will disagree.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Kaydubya

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #27 on: 06 June, 2015, 12:32:31 AM »
Totally agree indy, and i think my choice is the 18, but i do need to correct the speedo then i will be happy