Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2 more mods, this bike cant get better can it?  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Kaydubya

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger
  • City / Town: Burnley
2 more mods, this bike cant get better can it?
« on: 03 May, 2015, 04:30:24 PM »
 Just got back from a test ride after fitting a 19 front sprocket, and whilst doing it i thought may as well do the change to race shift as my other bike has been race shift for years. After doing about a thousand miles i sometimes still have to think which way to go.

It feels very nice to be back to what comes naturally, and it makes the gear change and gearbox work easier (for me) just a much more positive change.
I have loads of aprilia spares and found a falco left hand side rearset assembly, so cut its linkage to length, ran an M6 die down the r/h thread end, screwed it all together installed it and spent 10 minutes to set up the length and lever height but in all took 20-25 mins from start to finish

When cutting the linkage to its new length be sure to leave the l/h thread and cut the r/h thread end.

As for the 19 sprocket, the jury is out. But straight away my first impression is it makes the bike ALOT more civilised in town and general cruising about, it still has loads and loads of grunt from 2 thousand revs and pulls hard all the way through in 1st few gears so its still really flexible. It has lost a tiny bit of its venom but for this style of bike i think it suits it better.  Someone has summed it up perfectly on an old thread on the 19, it makes the whole mechanical feel of the bike smoother because to me....with an 18 on at steady revs i could feel the backlash fluctuating make the bike feel like it surged everso slightly, not what i was expecting when i bought the triumph. I always imagined they wete smooth as silk, they sound it when passing you as a pedestrian, the 19 makes it feel like i expected!

Overtaking.........yep no doubt it will still roll on overtake but you need more room, but if you anticipate the window and get the revs up to say 4 or 5 thousand it takes off very eagerly infact i think it gains speed faster than before.

Oh yeah did about 5 miles on the motorway and its deceiving!!! It does 80 at about 4800 ish maybe less, whereas before it did 80 at 5000 but because it is actually doing 80 now, and before its was actually doing 74 ish. I forgot to cruise at 74 ish and note the rpm.

So my first impressions of the 19 are very good, i find it another very good mod to the tiger.

So as the heading suggests, can this bike get any better? It has staggered me how each little thing adds up to morph this brilliant standard bike into a truely epic machine. There is one more thing i can think of and thats get the forks sorted!
It is sporting the following......ohlins shock, piperx filter, snorkel opened up, arrow race, indys tune and after today 19 front and upside down shift linkage
I love this bike
« Last Edit: 03 May, 2015, 04:38:50 PM by Kaydubya »

Offline smaug

• Tiger God
  • GRRRRRRR
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050 BLUE
Re: 2 more mods, this bike cant get better can it?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2015, 05:06:42 PM »
Definely get the forks done with Racetech stuff, make sure you have the correct weight spring in for the ohlins rear. It really doesn't get much better after that.
ginger beer still popular here?

Offline Kaydubya

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:05:38 PM »
Yep my mind is made up, i'm booking them in with the shop that did my tuono front and rear. They did an amazing transformation on those so cant wait to feel some controllled forks

Offline bnalz

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:14:55 PM »
Yes ,i also just went to a 19 on the front,Still has plenty to pass or play in the tight turns.High speed
cruising is just a little more civilized. Also threw a pair of PR 4's on her. Ready for a trip.

Offline bigrog

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2015, 06:28:24 PM »
OMG I never even thought of doing that (gear change mod). I cut my teeth on bikes that had the brake and gear change on opposite sides, certainly the gear change was the other way up. Its amazing how imprinted in your being early learning actually is. So being a born again biker, the first thing I did was stamp on the rear brake when doing tarmac ripping gear changes :110: I soon cured myself of doing that, but the persistent one was changing gear the wrong way, mostly second to first when trying to impress at traffic lights  :430:. It took a long time to cure myself of that, (as the dents in the back of my helmet from my wife's lid will testify) and even now when I am tired or in a tight situation I find myself going the wrong way, but thankfully I catch it before actually letting go the clutch. I would have done your mod in a heart beat, but now is too late, I think that I would just be totally confused. Shame, because it would really phase any would be bike thieves; that's assuming that they are all younger than me (although thinking about it, pretty much everyone is younger than me).  :189:
Bigrog

Third law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand.

Offline bigrog

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »
On your second mod, I am at the point of  replacing my chain, it is within 1mm of spec and I am not so sure that I even trust that measurement. There are a number of options for front and rear sprockets, but somehow I don't have any handle on which is best. Maybe someone who can actually translate this stuff into performance, long legedness, fuel efficiency, etc, etc  can come up with the best combination and what the compromises would be? I have a screen grab of how far I got in this process.
Bigrog

Third law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand.

Offline Kaydubya

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2015, 08:33:05 PM »
Bigrog, if you are changing all three (front,rear and chain) then it depends what your requirements are, Malta is only tiny so if i was in your shoes (i wish, nice weather etc etc) i would stick with 18/42 which is standard and gives it loads of oomph cause the roads i take it are short twisty and stop start, but if you plan on going on the continent for a trip stick a 19 on for lazier motorway work.

P.s. My neighbours mum and dad live in malta, his dad is from burnley but his mum is native maltese. It sounds really nice out there.

Offline bigrog

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2015, 09:06:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kaydubya [+]
Bigrog, if you are changing all three (front,rear and chain) then it depends what your requirements are, Malta is only tiny so if i was in your shoes (i wish, nice weather etc etc) i would stick with 18/42 which is standard and gives it loads of oomph cause the roads i take it are short twisty and stop start, but if you plan on going on the continent for a trip stick a 19 on for lazier motorway work.

P.s. My neighbours mum and dad live in malta, his dad is from burnley but his mum is native maltese. It sounds really nice out there.

Well I do a bit of both, certainly longer gearing would be nice on the trips that we do in Italy, France, Spain etc. What I really wanted to do was extend my table so that I could map low down to top speed in each gear relative to revs (or even graph it). I lost myself in trying to do this especially taking into account different rear tyres. Maybe someone could point me in the right mathematical direction?

Yup Malta is a point and squirt (for short periods) Island, today it was 27 degrees C, so the weather is not shabby either  :018:
Bigrog

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2015, 12:46:50 AM »
bigrog gearing commander they have our bike in the system.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Will show the speed difference's with front and or rear sprocket changes.

I like DID chains also RK (just saw an add with 20k mile guarantee)

Support the forum.   :031:

Offline bigrog

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: 05 May, 2015, 09:20:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
bigrog gearing commander they have our bike in the system.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Will show the speed difference's with front and or rear sprocket changes.

I like DID chains also RK (just saw an add with 20k mile guarantee)

Thanks Indy that is a great site. I noticed that if he chain is not extended or reduced with a 19 tooth sprocket, then the same tooth same link is 1 rev of the chain which is not good for chain and sprocket wear. I am definitely going for a DID chain.
Bigrog