Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !


Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS power supply  (Read 5124 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paullie

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4213
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • Country: UK/Belgium
Re: GPS power supply
« Reply #30 on: 01 August, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Hi Paullie, what's this ^^^ one look like, wire colour/plug, I wasn't aware of this.

I just got a spare docking station so I don't have to swap the original onto whichever bike I'm using.  I've hard wired it to the horn so it's a  switched live.

It's the usual 3-pin plug (black) under the headlamp, same as the previous T1050. It's a switched live, and really meant to supply the Triumph heated grips kit. But I also use it for GPS. You have to pull off the blank socket to use it (releasing the latch first of course). But you can get the plugs and sockets on eBay - but need to be fairly nifty with a soldering iron, as the contacts are tiny and easy to f**k up.

But horn connection should be good as you say, as it's also a switched live (the horn button connects an earth through to sound it). As is the sidelight connection ....






Online Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5977
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: GPS power supply
« Reply #31 on: 01 August, 2018, 11:05:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]

It's the usual 3-pin plug (black) under the headlamp, same as the previous T1050. It's a switched live, and really meant to supply the Triumph heated grips kit. But I also use it for GPS. You have to pull off the blank socket to use it (releasing the latch first of course). But you can get the plugs and sockets on eBay - but need to be fairly nifty with a soldering iron, as the contacts are tiny and easy to f**k up.

But horn connection should be good as you say, as it's also a switched live (the horn button connects an earth through to sound it). As is the sidelight connection ....

Ok m8, thanks for the reply. My way was likely the easiest option then. Simple enough to do, just a pita getting at it. I'll leave the other one as a din plug in....for now.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Karolkodo

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 32
  • Bike/Model: 2013 TS
  • City / Town: Gdansk
  • Country: Poland
Re: GPS power supply
« Reply #32 on: 02 August, 2018, 07:19:50 AM »
I really do regret that Triumph stopped to add this extra plug under the lamp...anyway, there still is one at the end of the bike - also ECONOSEAL 2-pin plug - you just need extra plug like on the photo if you do not have top Triumph pannier...or you just need to make something like that! I've managed to disassemble original top pannier supply plug and add  there (solder it inside, on each pin) an extra wires, looked for some extra plug set (took one from RC cars that I used to play a lot in past) to be able to disconnect everything infuture.
Added also extra relay (it was missing...) and now it works perfect - fused separately as ACC 10A, works together with switched live pannier power supply inside.




former Yamaha MT-01 (Kodo) rider
...you can call me Charlie
2013 TS, Scorpion Serket exhaust, Wilbers 640 shock

Offline Paullie

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4213
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • Country: UK/Belgium
Re: GPS power supply
« Reply #33 on: 02 August, 2018, 10:34:02 AM »
Hi Karelkodo, have you tried replacing the starter-motor relay (blue) with another? It MUST be 5-pin, not 4.

I'm curious to know if, when you do this, you get a fault light up on the dash.

Offline Karolkodo

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 32
  • Bike/Model: 2013 TS
  • City / Town: Gdansk
  • Country: Poland
Re: GPS power supply
« Reply #34 on: 02 August, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Hi Karelkodo, have you tried replacing the starter-motor relay (blue) with another? It MUST be 5-pin, not 4.

I'm curious to know if, when you do this, you get a fault light up on the dash.

You're right, it has 5 pins (the blue one)..but not, I've not made an experiment like that so far...I can try though :001:
former Yamaha MT-01 (Kodo) rider
...you can call me Charlie
2013 TS, Scorpion Serket exhaust, Wilbers 640 shock

Offline Konepyrmies

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 62
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2018
  • City / Town: Tampere
  • Country: Finland
Re: GPS power supply
« Reply #35 on: 10 November, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
While I changed the place of sat nav (handlebar RAM-mount bolt > front fairing) I decided to take power supply nearer than straight from bikes battery. Paullie has mentioned in this forum the horn as a one possible place for power supply. Tadaa! And from there it gets its power now, earth from frame and extra wiring etc. goes nice-an-easy into frame tube behind the fairing, and power to nav goes ON / OFF now.



« Last Edit: 10 November, 2018, 04:45:30 PM by Konepyrmies »

Offline adu0846

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 14
  • Enloved by my Tiger Sport
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Chapeco
  • Country: Brazil
Re: GPS power supply
« Reply #36 on: 06 March, 2019, 01:40:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Konepyrmies [+]
While I changed the place of sat nav (handlebar RAM-mount bolt > front fairing) I decided to take power supply nearer than straight from bikes battery. Paullie has mentioned in this forum the horn as a one possible place for power supply. Tadaa! And from there it gets its power now, earth from frame and extra wiring etc. goes nice-an-easy into frame tube behind the fairing, and power to nav goes ON / OFF now.

I just bought the supply connector for GPS/Cellphone and I now am looking for the best way to connect it. Is this power supply from horn working well? I am afraid to overload the circuit or burn fuse.

Online Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5977
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: GPS power supply
« Reply #37 on: 06 March, 2019, 01:55:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by adu0846 [+]
I just bought the supply connector for GPS/Cellphone and I now am looking for the best way to connect it. Is this power supply from horn working well? I am afraid to overload the circuit or burn fuse.

Mine's wired to the horn, working fine up to now, did it last summer.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4213
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • Country: UK/Belgium
Re: GPS power supply
« Reply #38 on: 06 March, 2019, 02:21:53 PM »
GPS units use very, very little current, so almost no risk of overloading anything. Two options, either the sidelight circuit, or the horn connection, for a switched supply. Both work, but of course the horn is a bit more exposed to the elements, so you'll need to protect it well.

Offline hatchm

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 43
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Kingsbridge
  • Country: UK
Re: GPS power supply
« Reply #39 on: 06 March, 2019, 02:31:52 PM »
As above, I used the power for the top box. Just bought a connector and relay from ebay for a couple of quid (you do need a decent crimp tool though). That way I can easily tap into it if I need more power for something without disturbing the bike's wiring. It is also easily removed if I sell the bike and want to move the sat nav.
The main issue with this setup is having to remove the tank to run the cable from the back to the front of the bike, but that said it is a once only thing.
For my phone I just use the USB under the seat (2016 sport) and have the cable coming out the front of the saddle by the tank.

I was going to go the route of tapping into the sidelight but I don't really like scotchlock connectors rather than worrying about overloading - this is what Triumph dealers apparently do, so as previously said it would be fine.
« Last Edit: 06 March, 2019, 02:34:59 PM by hatchm »