Author Handlebar Buzz, Redux  (Read 6229 times)

• Offline GavJ

• Tiger Master  ‐    515

Offline GavJ

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: White 1050
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Re: Handlebar Buzz, Redux
    Reply #40 on: 18 August, 2013, 08:09:06 pm
    18 August, 2013, 08:09:06 pm
    As an experiment I turned an aluminium bar end, same size as original, and fitted to left side only. Might be in my head but I felt a slight improvement on this side during my run today, so slight though not effective enough.Now I'm wondering if the bar ends are doing anything at all?

• Offline johned   us

• Ex Member
    • Tiger God  ‐    2226

Offline johned

• Ex Member
    • Tiger God
    • Bike/Model: 07 1050 Tiger
    • City / Town: Eugene Orygun
    Reply #41 on: 18 August, 2013, 09:34:15 pm
    18 August, 2013, 09:34:15 pm
    *Originally Posted by GavJ [+]
    As an experiment I turned an aluminium bar end, same size as original, and fitted to left side only. Might be in my head but I felt a slight improvement on this side during my run today, so slight though not effective enough.Now I'm wondering if the bar ends are doing anything at all?

Just remove them.  If it is OK for you then leave them off.  Trim every piece of fat you can and that is for the good.  Not all bikes have the problem though, facts be known, there is a big heavy harmonic balancer spinning around inside the engine.  Not jabbing you, but really.  You may not be sensitive to it or your machine may vibrate much less....either way.

The majority has no problem so bikes personality must enter into it somehow.

• Offline DGooseman   ca

• Tiger Member  ‐    13

Offline DGooseman

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger1050se
    • City / Town: Burlington
    Reply #42 on: 16 November, 2022, 02:18:34 pm
    16 November, 2022, 02:18:34 pm
    Hey All
    I know this is a really old thread. Most people have probably dealt with the vibration one way or another. But, it was never an issue on my bike until I added crash bars last year (see attached). Crash bars I was really happy to have when I had my accident last summer. I did a bit of reading and there were several suggestions on how to alleviate the problem. I tried many of the suggestions; filling the bars with lead pellets ... no help, adding bar risers .. no help, Grip Puppys ... no help and they felt thick, everything at the same time ... no help, replace the engine bolts and nuts, in the proper prescribed manner .. no help. The one thing I think I read, but didn't try, was balancing the throttle bodies. Oh, and bar snakes, i didn't try that either. I figured the lead pellets were doing the same thing. There seemed to be a solution, some people were machining custom heavier bar ends. I don't have the facilities to do that, besides how do you know what is the perfect weight? I started an experiment. I bought some longer bolts for the bar ends and started adding metal washers until the frequency of the bars changed and the vibration was virtually gone. It may not look pretty (see attached), but it works great and I can pretty them up over the winter. I suppose I could now weigh these and get proper ends made, but for now this works really well, no more numb throttle fingers.

I am not sure if anyone still needs this information, but I thought I would share in case anyone is dealing with vibration issues, or like me added crash bars and is now experiencing vibration in the handlebars.

• Offline gvy   be

• Tiger Pro  ‐    108

Offline gvy

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: tiger sport 2016
    • City / Town: Scheldewindeke
    Reply #43 on: 16 November, 2022, 07:10:57 pm
    16 November, 2022, 07:10:57 pm
    Thanks for this post.
    I actually like this kind of inginuity and also posting about it. It's true, it isn't the prettiest solution, but it is the way in experimenting/ searching for a valuable solution and be able to work from there, that is fun.
    Coming from my street triple, I first thought there were some vibrations. tbh, nowadays I don't feel them anymore. But reading this, it could be fun to experiment a bit.

Did you actually mount the same numbers on both sides?
    Last Edit: 16 November, 2022, 07:12:45 pm by gvy

• Offline DGooseman   ca

• Tiger Member  ‐    13

Offline DGooseman

• Tiger Member
    Reply #44 on: 16 November, 2022, 08:05:36 pm
    16 November, 2022, 08:05:36 pm
    Hey gvy
    I tried a number of configurations, including different numbers of washers on each side, but in the end the same number on both sides worked for me.

• Offline sax_000   au

• Tiger Pro  ‐    249

Offline sax_000

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE '12
    • City / Town: Sydney
    Reply #45 on: 16 November, 2022, 09:23:31 pm
    16 November, 2022, 09:23:31 pm
    OK, now go to your local friendly motorcycle wreckers and rummage through their box of Suzuki bar-end weights (there are a number of different sizes). They are made of steel so they are quite a bit heavier than the useless Triumph alloy jobbies. Now replace the alloy things with these Suzuki weights, problem solved.  Yes, this is exactly what I did on my T1050.

• Offline DGooseman   ca

• Tiger Member  ‐    13

Offline DGooseman

• Tiger Member
    Reply #46 on: 24 November, 2022, 11:35:39 pm
    24 November, 2022, 11:35:39 pm
    Hey sax_000
     Thanks for that, I would certainly prefer that. You said "there are a number of different sizes", do you mean weights? I have yet to go around or call bike wreckers, there are none that are very close. I could just buy them on-line. If I am looking, would any listing stating they fit Suzuki bikes work?
    Thanks for you help.

• Offline sax_000   au

• Tiger Pro  ‐    249

Offline sax_000

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE '12
    • City / Town: Sydney
    Reply #47 on: 25 November, 2022, 08:29:43 pm
    25 November, 2022, 08:29:43 pm
    The Suzuki weights come in a variety of lengths and therefore weights.  The ones I used were about 10mm longer than the Triumph alloy things.  I have no idea which Suzuki they came from.

• Offline ZuluTiger   us

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God  ‐    2937

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
    • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
    Reply #48 on: 25 November, 2022, 11:02:03 pm
    25 November, 2022, 11:02:03 pm
    Are you sure you're not confusing the tapered chrome STEEL bar end weights with the Al end washer? On my 2009 they are heavy steel items that do their job quite well. I took them off for a second and learned my lesson pretty smartly.