Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Garmin hook up.  (Read 841 times)

Offline alant15

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger1050ABS
  • City / Town: Liverpool
Garmin hook up.
« on: 22 April, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »
Hi,

Just bought a Garmin Nuvi for occasional use on the Tiger. I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I did a google search for 'Garmin to Hella' lead which coincidently took me to the Tiger 800 sister site. Someone else asked the question and was given a link to ebay for a straight lead with a Triumph type plug on one end and a mini USB on the other to plug into the Garmin. This can't be correct can it? The bike is 12v and the Garmin works on 5v. Surely you need some sort of dropper?

Secondy, I purchased a mains charger for the Garmin and I notice that it is very similar to my Blackberry phone charger. Though not strictly a motorcycle question I wondered if anyone on here knew for sure if it will work OK? The output of the Blackberry charger says 700mA whereas the garmin charger says 1A -- 5vA. By my reckoning it will just take longer to charge. Electical buffs, what does the 5vA after the 1 amp signify?

Ta in advance.

Alan.
2011 Tiger 1050, Les Williams T160 Legend, (now 850), T160, T150T,  T120, TR6, T100 & TR7RV.

Offline nigelj

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Cheddington
Re: Garmin hook up.
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »
Don't know exactly about that cable you mention, but to be safe buy the Triumph cable that has the plug for the socket in the nose cone that finishes in 2 wires, and the Garmin cable that starts with 2 wires and finishes with the USB plug (also has a pop-over rubber cover for the plug so it stays dry when not in use, otherwise it WILL corrode and be fecked (my first Garmin cable was)!

Sorry, don't know the part numbers.

Mine has worked like this for 3 years.

Offline ddtwelve

• Tiger Master
  • blue is the colour
  • Bike/Model: kawasaki zx6-r
  • City / Town: south kirkby
« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »
try one of these miles cheaper than the other waterproof usb chargers and ya also can use it as with car charging port  acessories :001:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Dual-USB-Charger-amy-/190813855787?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6d64602b
mods so far, double bubble screen

Offline alant15

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger1050ABS
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »
Thanks both.

Unless I am still missing something, the first reply doesn't address my concerns about dropping from 12v to 5v.

Regarding the second reply. I take it that the (dual) USB adaptor that fits in the cigar socket incorporates the volt dropper. I can then drill a hole in the dash and fit a std cigar lighter socket hard wired to the battery/fuse box yes?

Alan.
2011 Tiger 1050, Les Williams T160 Legend, (now 850), T160, T150T,  T120, TR6, T100 & TR7RV.

Offline nigelj

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Cheddington
« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by alant15 [+]
Thanks both.

Unless I am still missing something, the first reply doesn't address my concerns about dropping from 12v to 5v.

If I remember correctly the Garmin cable has a 'box' in it that does the voltage drop thing.

I'll be taking my cable off the Tiger before Saturday as she's going, so if you can wait I'll post again with a photo.

Offline ddtwelve

• Tiger Master
  • blue is the colour
  • Bike/Model: kawasaki zx6-r
  • City / Town: south kirkby
« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2013, 08:39:51 PM »
yep thats :490: right
mods so far, double bubble screen

Offline StPeter

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: White Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Wellingborough
« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »
Back to the Original post, if you're still interested, Alan, I reckon the 5vA is supposed to be 5VA which is approximately equivalent to 5Watts ie 1A at 5V.

Nice find, DT. Some of those plug in USB outlets are very low current and not much use for charging. 2A+ is a nice healthy one. Of course, with the outlet plugged into the waterproof socket and a cable stuck into that, it won't be waterproof any more.
I'd be inclined to go for the Garmin lead with its integral 12V to 5V converter hooked up to the connector under the nose cone.
When I was fourteen, I couldn't believe how stupid my father was. When I was twenty one, I couldn't believe how much he'd learned  in the previous seven years. (Mark Twain)