Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Power Tripp's custom tune for Stoltec Moto  (Read 17730 times)

Offline bikall

• Tiger Member
Re: Power Tripp's custom tune for Stoltec Moto
« Reply #30 on: 30 April, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stoltec Moto [+]

Be aware that octane numbers are quoted differently in Europe and the US. Europe uses RON, the US uses the average of RON and MON, and the figure is usually about 5 points lower. So a 'Premium' fuel that is sold as 97 in Europe is sold as ~92 in the US. Just to make sure we're comparing apples with apples!

Furthermore, with regards to timing, the bike can't pull timing on the fly like a car does when it experiences knock.  There is no knock sensor, so the timing is based on the timing map.  What you set is what you get.

FWIW, I ran 87 during my long highway stints of my trip.  Given the load on the engine, I never experienced detonation.  I did, however, use 89 when I knew I was going to be in the twisties.

I compared the map from indy with mine and can see that the timing on some points of indy's map is 2 to 3 degrees less!. For low quality fuel and possible engine damage this is a good thing ofcourse. But when i went to the tuner i saw a 1,5 HP increase on 2 degrees advance timing. As already told this man has done 100 tigers and much more other bikes, so i leave the ignitiontable as it is. What i did do just a minute ago is loading the 20545 map with my F and I tables so i should be good now. tnx for the heads up.

Next winter i will try the throttlebody mod (again) and header mod. I am also thinking of placing a wideband o2 sensor and AF meter to finetune the bike. Then i am finished working on it. I could install daytona cams, but that's a major operation.

Offline Stoltec Moto

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Tiger
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #31 on: 30 April, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by bikall [+]

Be aware that octane numbers are quoted differently in Europe and the US. Europe uses RON, the US uses the average of RON and MON, and the figure is usually about 5 points lower. So a 'Premium' fuel that is sold as 97 in Europe is sold as ~92 in the US. Just to make sure we're comparing apples with apples!

Furthermore, with regards to timing, the bike can't pull timing on the fly like a car does when it experiences knock.  There is no knock sensor, so the timing is based on the timing map.  What you set is what you get.

FWIW, I ran 87 during my long highway stints of my trip.  Given the load on the engine, I never experienced detonation.  I did, however, use 89 when I knew I was going to be in the twisties.

I compared the map from indy with mine and can see that the timing on some points of indy's map is 2 to 3 degrees less!. For low quality fuel and possible engine damage this is a good thing ofcourse. But when i went to the tuner i saw a 1,5 HP increase on 2 degrees advance timing. As already told this man has done 100 tigers and much more other bikes, so i leave the ignitiontable as it is. What i did do just a minute ago is loading the 20545 map with my F and I tables so i should be good now. tnx for the heads up.

Next winter i will try the throttlebody mod (again) and header mod. I am also thinking of placing a wideband o2 sensor and AF meter to finetune the bike. Then i am finished working on it. I could install daytona cams, but that's a major operation.

My timing tables are definitely altered from Indy's tune (used  his map as a baseline).  When I post the file, you'll be able to compare the two files.  Your experience with timing makes sense and reflects my personal experience (on this bike and others).  The hard part is knowing how much is too much.  Wayne uses a gas analyzer (can't remember if four or five), so he monitors emissions to find complete combustion.  Short of using a knock sensor, this is the 'best' way. 

AFR will get you close on fueling, though.  I wanted to do a wideband setup, but ultimately chose not to.  I wanted to do it 'right' and have a sensor on each cylinder, but given the header geometry, radiator location, cross over tubes on the factory header, I opted out.  The results I have now are good enough for me.  Now if only I could use less throttle :192:  My fuel economy has been garbage and I killed a set of tires on my trip, lol.

Offline dikman

• Non Active
  • Supreme Tiger
« Reply #32 on: 30 April, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »
Now if only I could use less throttle :192:  My fuel economy has been garbage and I killed a set of tires on my trip, lol.

:008: You sound just like Indy now!.
 :031:
'08 Tiger Blue (Gone but not forgotten).....replaced with
'08 Guzzi Breva (the lump).
'05 Opal/Tangerine T-100 Bonnie

Offline Stoltec Moto

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #33 on: 30 April, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by dikman [+]
Now if only I could use less throttle :192:  My fuel economy has been garbage and I killed a set of tires on my trip, lol.

All I know is this...going down to AL, I  managed 39-42 mpg.  Now, 33-39 mpg.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #34 on: 01 May, 2013, 02:32:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by dikman [+]

All I know is this...going down to AL, I  managed 39-42 mpg.  Now, 33-39 mpg.
   Your right dikman.

My question to Stoltec Moto.   Are you smiles bigger, and don't you love the triple even more.

What were the changes to the timing for. Your setup, fuel differences?   

Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Stoltec Moto

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #35 on: 01 May, 2013, 01:24:34 PM »
Yeah, mainly for my setup.  Also cleaned up some partial throttle issues I had with your tune (though to call them issues would be an exaggeration - really just refinements).

I have about 5 miles of seat time on a stock Tiger, but I remember the power output being rather paltry.  This bike feels every bit of my Speed Triple, and maybe a touch more.  That says a lot when you consider the extra weight and longer wheelbase I'm carrying around!

Offline guraki

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 black
  • City / Town: Patras
« Reply #36 on: 05 May, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »
will you make it available to us to give a try my friend?

Offline Stoltec Moto

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #37 on: 05 May, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
Hopefully later today. Wayne and I made a few changes to address fuel economy and a rich overrun condition yesterday. I haven't had a chance to test it yet and want to make sure its good before sharing.

Offline guraki

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 black
  • City / Town: Patras
« Reply #38 on: 06 May, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »
Any good news???? :002:

Offline Stoltec Moto

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #39 on: 06 May, 2013, 09:01:52 PM »
Some.  Fuel economy is looking to be MUCH better, but I won't know for sure until I finish off this tank tomorrow.

I do have a slight hole right off idle...and I thought I had a light surge at cruising throttle openings.  It's possible that the adaptation took longer than expected, so I have a few more miles to put on before final judgment.  Wayne is off until tomorrow, so I'll likely give him a call to discuss.

That said, I had it out yesterday for a quick rip.  I was in triple digit territory on some backroads without even realizing it.  It definitely pulls smooth when being caned!