Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Power Tripp's custom tune for Stoltec Moto  (Read 16748 times)

Offline Stoltec Moto

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Tiger
  • City / Town: Bangor
Power Tripp's custom tune for Stoltec Moto
« on: 10 April, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »
For the sake of clarity, it was recommended to start a separate thread.  Here is my configuration:

MY2008
  • Cut down Speed Triple airbox snorkles
  • BikeMaster air filter (reusable)
  • Ported throttle bodies
  • Ported stock header
  • Gutted cat (shhh!)
  • Leo Vince slip-on
  • and not that they do much, but SAI and Cali can removed

I currently have an appointment with Wayne at Power Tripp on 4/16 and will be stopping in during a road trip.  He recommended I start with Indy's tune, and so far, things are good.  There is a little stumble off idle and the warm idle isn't buttery smooth.  Otherwise, the tune is great.  I'll be amazed if he could pull more power out, but I'm hopeful!  I plan to have him make two maps (time permitting):  one with baffle, one without.  Right now I'm running the stock Leo Vince baffle due to sound concerns.  However, I may take a bit off to add a bit more growl.

I'll update this thread from the road with a dyno plot or two and riding impressions.  Once I am back on the week of 4/29, I'll post the tune for others to try.   :031:

Nick

UPDATE 1 (4/29/13)

As hoped, Wayne found more power...about 5-7% throughout the RPM range.  Note:  the dyno plot says D&D undertail exhaust, but this isn't correct.  Must have been a carryover from another bike.  As mentioned above, I'm running the Leo Vince slip on with the baffle IN.  There is about 1-2 hp difference above 8k RPM with the baffle in, but Wayne feels he could tune this further to find a couple more.  Given the noise and the part of the powerband affected, I'm leaving the baffle in.  It has lungs when I want them, but is damn nearly silent if I chop the throttle.

I'm going to load a revised tune tonight that Wayne cooked up with my feedback on the ~4k mile trip home.  It appears the bike might be rich on decel, and fuel economy is a BIT lower than expected.  Once I know the revised map is where I would like to be, I'll attach the map.

Update 2 (04/29/13)
Forgot to mention this in the last update:  the baseline curve shown above was truncated by the speed limiter on the bike.  As the speed was approached, the ECU pulled timing and reduced power output.  Given the base map, power was in the ~92 whp when we started.  The next higher plot removed the speed limiter and cleaned up a few rough spots.  The top plot is where things currently are.
« Last Edit: 13 May, 2013, 06:05:44 PM by Stoltec Moto »

Offline slowfox

• Tiger Master
  • City / Town: Hanko
Re: Power Tripp's custom tune for Stoltec Moto
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:21:41 PM »
Nice one Nick, I bet you will be impressed with the results  :062:
"He who dies with the most toys wins" and if you don't win at least you have had a lot of fun trying!

Offline Stoltec Moto

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
I'm already impressed with Indy's map.  Feels at least like my Speed Triple did...maybe more.  It doesn't compare to the garbage Triumph put out there :192:

Offline Zeebad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Ex Tiger 1050 10 years
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2013, 09:05:01 PM »
Looking forward to trying it. Thanks in advance for your generosity.
Danny

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on the list.

My mods https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,30477.0.html

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:23:24 AM »
  I am sure Wayne with be able to either tweak my tune to suit your bike or it might be better to take a new tune and copy the tables in then tweak it.

Biggest decision you have to make, 92/93 or 89 octiane fuel to have the bike tuned.

As AK said, welcome to the club. And yes thanks for sharing.

Being able to share something that brings smiles to others is a great thing.

:490:
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Dave73

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: North Texas
« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:37:21 AM »
Im interested in the results.

Do you happen to have pics of the port work and snorkles?
06 Daytona 675 Track Bike
10 Tiger 1050 Everything Else Bike

Offline Stoltec Moto

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:30:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
  I am sure Wayne with be able to either tweak my tune to suit your bike or it might be better to take a new tune and copy the tables in then tweak it.

Biggest decision you have to make, 92/93 or 89 octiane fuel to have the bike tuned.

As AK said, welcome to the club. And yes thanks for sharing.

Being able to share something that brings smiles to others is a great thing.

:490:

Not sure what he'll do, but I'm interested in his process.  The bike runs well...except there is a weird fueling hole right off idle.  I stalled it a few times.  Once when I pulled the clutch during a panic break in traffic.  Otherwise, no issues to speak of.  I'm sure he'll take care of this.

As far as fueling, I'm going to go with the blended-crap 89 octane.  This will give me some safety margin in that if it starts to ping at some point, I can up the octane at the pump without using additives.  Plus, that extra $0.20/gallon add up when you're riding 15k+  per year.  My car already drinks the good stuff like it's its job (well, I might be part of the problem  :001:)

Offline Stoltec Moto

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:34:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dave73 [+]
Im interested in the results.

Do you happen to have pics of the port work and snorkles?

I forgot to take pictures of the snorkles, but will update when I get back from my trip..will be almost time for the 12k valve check.

I took pictures of the throttle bodies, but the damn iPhone ate them.  Gone.  Poof.  I'm going to be doing a set for Indy, so I'll take good photos of his.  This will be a new service...

I do have pictures of the header though:

Offline Dave73

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: North Texas
« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2013, 04:59:23 AM »
Interesting. I guess if/ when i get mine apart I'll see where the work needs to be done. I'm wondering how much difference it makes.

I know on my 675s there is little to nothing to be gained in the throttle bodies and runners, but the ports in the head have potential.
06 Daytona 675 Track Bike
10 Tiger 1050 Everything Else Bike

Offline Stoltec Moto

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dave73 [+]
Interesting. I guess if/ when i get mine apart I'll see where the work needs to be done. I'm wondering how much difference it makes.

I know on my 675s there is little to nothing to be gained in the throttle bodies and runners, but the ports in the head have potential.

The 1050 throttle bodies have a ~1.0 mm machining lip just beyond the throttle plate where the casting transitions from round to oval.  You can do a web search and find this discussed before with regards to the Speed Triple.  According to Wayne, he sees a 2-3% (!) gain throughout the rev range.  It's hard for me to directly quantify that kind of power without a dyno, but the bike has some serious stonk now.  Power wheelies in first, second, and if just right...a bit in third.  The bike is more stable than the S3 due to the longer wheelbase, but this thing rips!