Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Need Help! Speedo Electrical Issue Won't start!  (Read 414 times)

Offline 08bluetiger

• Tiger Pro
Need Help! Speedo Electrical Issue Won't start!
« on: 20 June, 2012, 03:55:49 PM »
Hello-

I am experiencing a very weird situation and I do not really even know how to describe it so I will try.

This story is a week or two after the Triumph dealer did a oil change, new tires, brakes and replaced my driving light bulb.

Late last week I got on the bike and started it up and then all of a sudden the speedo started freaking out. The rpm needle was just traveling in circles the speedo was going on and off and the lights on the speedo where flickering. Then while driving the speedo went completely out, but the bike still ran fine. I was on my way somewhere so I could not go back home. So I get to my appointment and have to turn the bike off. I get back on after and turn the key and the starter won't start. Half the speedo is not working. The horn works, the headlights work, the turn signals work, but there is no power to the starter and the digital part of the speedo is not working. The oil light and abs lights are illuminated.

So basically it seems that something inside the speedo is going nutz and preventing electric power to the starter button. The battery is fine, I just recharged it. This is so strange.

Is there something the dealer could have done while replacing the light bulb? Is there maybe a loose connector that would cause this or is my speedo possessed?

Please help!!!!!

Scott

Offline StPeter

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: White Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Wellingborough
Re: Need Help! Speedo Electrical Issue Won't start!
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
Wierd! I'd check the ECU and display connections. This is speculation but the ECU talks to the display via a canbus link - if something's not connected properly you'll get gibberish.
Other than that, I'd chicken out and have it in to the dealer.
When I was fourteen, I couldn't believe how stupid my father was. When I was twenty one, I couldn't believe how much he'd learned  in the previous seven years. (Mark Twain)

Offline johnjo

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »
Are you sure the battery is 100%. Is the charge holding ?

As Pete says check connections. Check everything electrical the dealer touched. Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. That can reset a troubled ECU.

Good luck.

JJ :031:

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
Do you have tuneecu. Confirm all the safetys switch's are working (clutch, stand)
Support the forum.   :031: