Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: road test  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Roynie

• Tiger Pro
Re: road test
« Reply #40 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Firstly, going (true) off-road with such bikes is close to nonsense.
Very obviously, 260 kg is too much for anything more than dirt road.
What's the point of MCN? IMHO, it's all about making some internet buzz and that's all. The KTM is the only one (since it hit the market as a 950) to have some interesting OR properties (around 200 kg, which is still too much), spoked wheels (21" front), ground clearance, easy stand up riding stance...
That stoopid case is closed for a long time now.

Then, I'm amazed everyday by the way the dimensions of the Explorer are managed. Of course, it's a big lump per se. But:
1 - To have the same feeling at a stop as on the 1050, I had to put the Explorer seat on the uppermost position. The beast being thinner than the 1050 where it counts (you see what I mean ;-), it's actually better shaped for the vertically disabled ones ;-)
2 - As soon as the beast is in motion (even slow), I'm positively sure that it handles quickly and more naturally as the 1050. I'm not the only one to have this opinion BTW (go have a look on the "other" forum). Yes, I do prefer the 260 kg of the Explorer over the 220 kg of the 1050.

Lastly, I'm pretty certain that the Explorer's shaft drive is entirely new. The Rocket's is old (certainly before the days when Triumph decided that they should go strictly after BMW) and the objectives are not the same.
I'm convinced that Triumph knows how important it is to have this part highly reliable in such a market. As for BMW's shaft (reoccuring) problems, I talked to a dealer who (unofficially ;-) reckoned that the engineers wanted too much at a time: weight, silence, performance, reliability, maintenability... They ended up with too many weak points in the design.
AFAIK, Triumph aimed for a "stealth" shaft that would take on the long run. And they did pretty well (for now), as I never rode such a "forgetable" shaft drive. Yes, it FEELS better than BMW's.
Now, as the wise Dikman said, we'll see how long it performs flawlessly ;-)

NiK,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply and it's just what I thought, but it's nice to get confirmation from someone who has ridden the bike.   :028:

I have now eliminated the Explorer from my list of options for our China trip. That said, if I had the budget to have 3 bikes that would be one of them. I'm really glad that Triumph developed their own shaft and from what you say they did a damned good job of it. No real surprise their then!

Thanks again.

R

Offline Peskyperson

• Tiger Newbie
  • Back on a Tiger 1050 and already smiling ;-)
  • Bike/Model: 1050SE -shortly!
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #41 on: 13 August, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »
Having previously rode a 1050 I have just pulled the plug on 5 month old (6000 miles ridden) Explorer and will be going back to the 1050.

The Exp is a great bike once your at speed and the handling is (IMHO) slightly more sure footed than the 1050, fuel economy is  pretty fair on a motorway run was getting close to 50mpg, shaft drive means no oil/chain issues, but (and again these are my personal experiences) the horrendous ticking noise - referred to as a wood pecker or a tractor coming from the engine - at speeds below 45 is seriously off putting and draws attention in traffic for all the wrong reasons.

The finish of the brushed aluminium exhaust requires daily cleaning or else it will stain and you will need a good metal polish to remove these (not a defect though despite the can being changed on all models after around a month!).

Vibration over 5250 revs was just to much for me on my hour plus daily commute.

Triumph are adamant there is no fault with the bike, these are apparently just querks, they do accept that it has a noisy engine! I hope the Trophy (using the same engine and shaft as the Exp) fairing will go some way to mask the sound (unless T have already fixed the non existent problem ;-)) as this is likely to be an even more costly machine and so likely to generate some unhappy customers! 

My dealer has been outstanding and really supportive, you will either love or loathe this bike, sadly I'm more in the loathe camp as the accumulation of these niggles really ruined the experience of the Exp for me, particularly with its price tag, so have a replacement 1050 SE in Diablo red on order for 1st Sept.

Have to say though its not put me off wanting to stay on a Triumph, in no small part to the dealer, only hope that in the future things will improve, in the mean time I'll be the new guy in here :-)

Offline Roynie

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #42 on: 13 August, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »
Hi Peskyperson,

Welcome to the Tiger1050 forum.  :031:  You'll find it a mine of useful, as well as useless, information, and people on here have a wealth of experience on bikes and biking.

Thanks for your update on the Explorer. I was condiering it for a ride to China I am planning for 2014, for charity. However, I have ruled it out on weight grounds as being too heavy for sand.

Can I suggest you click on Forums then on the New Members forum and introduce yourself to everone there.

Roynie

Offline NiK

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #43 on: 14 August, 2012, 09:47:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Peskyperson [+]
the horrendous ticking noise - referred to as a wood pecker or a tractor coming from the engine - at speeds below 45 is seriously off putting and draws attention in traffic for all the wrong reasons.
Mine does NOT tick (whatever the revs).
My dealer's does tick (and he's worried about it and his mechs are of no help).
There IS a problem here. As usual (can you say 'craked pistons on a 1050'? ;-), Triumph denies any problem.

The finish of the brushed aluminium exhaust requires daily cleaning or else it will stain and you will need a good metal polish to remove these (not a defect though despite the can being changed on all models after around a month!).
I have the so-called satin finish and I never washed it. 3,000 km and two months. No problem whatsoever.
AFAIK, the only caution is to never wash it when hot.

Vibration over 5250 revs was just to much for me on my hour plus daily commute.
My Xplorer has less vibes than my ex-1050, whatever the revs.
Did yours have crashbars (frequent vibe generator)?

Triumph are adamant there is no fault with the bike, these are apparently just querks, they do accept that it has a noisy engine! I hope the Trophy (using the same engine and shaft as the Exp) fairing will go some way to mask the sound (unless T have already fixed the non existent problem ;-)) as this is likely to be an even more costly machine and so likely to generate some unhappy customers! 
Triumph is adamant at everything that could cost them money or accept any responsibility. Read this forum for it's full of interesting stories (same applies to the 'other' forum ;-).
As time passes and reports accumulate, I'm more and more convinced that the Xplorer will be my last Triumph. It's a shame cos' I love to ride a 'different' bike (well, they are less different each year...) and I love the triple engine, but their way of treating loyal customers is simply not acceptable.
The world divides in two: those who own a Triumph and those who never tried one...

Offline Neil1052

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 1050 Tiger
  • City / Town: Donny
« Reply #44 on: 20 August, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »
Phew...
thought it was just me.... i too found the BM Explorer excessively vibey, almost like a vague "designed in" feel of a Bavarian lump. 
I had expected it to be Tiger smooth and probably more so... but it was just the opposite !
OK it was quick it handled well but....
What surprise me was the unrefined ride & near unfinished state   :180:

OK you my guess by now :232:
I absolutely detest the BM Explorer looks, but i had to test ride one before buying a 1050 Tiger just in case....

There no excuse for the Bavarian looks, the lack of rear bodywork, the mahoosive weight, the tiny fuel tank, and did i mention those Bavarian ugly tree looks, and HOW MUCH !  :172:

How happy am I about buying a 1050  :046:
"Thus bats rally quack"