Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Had a preview today!  (Read 1311 times)

Offline nigelj

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Cheddington
Had a preview today!
« on: 16 March, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »
I had a word and got 10 minutes to sit on and look over an Explorer this morning.

It was a very quick look, and the boys there wouldn't stop chatting, but here's my thoughts for what they're worth...

- I can put my feet flat on the ground (the low seat was fitted)
- It feels like you sit 'in' the bike, instead of on top of it like on the 1050
- The front end/fairings look very angular/square/boxy...pretty ugly IMHO
- My feeling of the overall view from the cockpit over the bars/front was that it wasn't finished to the same standard as my bike. This may be because there's more open areas that you can see through too where the 1050 is covered
- The bike generally 'looks' plasticy, especially the grey finished engine covers - why not all black I wonder?
- The screen seems small and quite narrow
- It didn't feel heavier than the 1050...probably has the weight distributed much lower down
- The bike has an oil level window
- The coolant level window looks pants (it's a cut out from one of the left panels)
- This week apparently there have been 2 last minute changes to the bike. The  one I can remember is that the oil level sensor has been scrapped as it doesn't work.
- The sticky out bits of the side fairings will get trashed in a slide or topple over...and they'll be expensive
- The accessory socket is good - it's just forward of the tank. I don't know if there's another forward so you can plug stuff in and mount it on the bars (like twat nav) and not have wires trailing from the tank over the bars
- The end can is fugly

Liam said pre-orders are far lower for this bike...he's sold 3 against 40+ of the 800's before they came out.

All in all, I think not my cup of splosh.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050 now KTM 1290SAS
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: Had a preview today!
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »
 :0461:
i would generally agree with that nige,
surprised they've only had 3 pre orders altho quite a price diffrence to the 800 which is a mid range bike and you would expect to sell more,
not sure it's my cuppa either but that motor does sound appealing,

Offline NiK

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »
Coincidentally, I had a preview too this morning!
My dealer wasn't supposed to show the bike before tomorrow, but he let me access the backroom of the workshop ;-)
My feelings are almost opposite to yours!
I found the bike to be much better looking in the flesh than on pictures.
I found the can to be well designed and nothing close to the "I'm a cheapo trackday wannabe" look of most (if not all) aftermarket ones (Arrow included).
I'm really impressed with the look of the shaft drive. Sleek!

As for presales, I had to plead my case with the dealer and he finally accepted to book a Black One for me (no deposit, booking canceled if the test ride isn't positive). He told me that Triumph clearly underestimated the interest for the bike in his area. He's already working on keeping the customers waiting for the bikes to be delivered. The whole first batch is already sold. He won't have anymore bikes until the end of June!
As far as he's concerned, the success should be comparable to the 800s.
I believe that such an expensive bike's success is heavily related to the area (and the people that live there of course).
The world divides in two: those who own a Triumph and those who never tried one...

Offline nigelj

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Cheddington
« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2012, 05:03:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]

They would be...you've been thinking about changing to one of these since the spy shots appeared in the papers...you're not going to be put off by little ol' me  :008:

I found the bike to be much better looking in the flesh than on pictures.
I found the can to be well designed and nothing close to the "I'm a cheapo trackday wannabe" look of most (if not all) aftermarket ones (Arrow included).
I'm really impressed with the look of the shaft drive. Sleek!

As for presales, I had to plead my case with the dealer and he finally accepted to book a Black One for me (no deposit, booking canceled if the test ride isn't positive). He told me that Triumph clearly underestimated the interest for the bike in his area. He's already working on keeping the customers waiting for the bikes to be delivered. The whole first batch is already sold. He won't have anymore bikes until the end of June!
As far as he's concerned, the success should be comparable to the 800s.
I believe that such an expensive bike's success is heavily related to the area (and the people that live there of course).

I'm sure it will be a great bike...just the looks/sit on didn't make me want to book a test ride for Friday and organise a loan!!!.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger1050
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »
I went to the BS Bikes (Staffordshire Triumph) new shop opening on Thursday evening, the Explorer was revealed for the first time but there were so many people there I could hardly get close for a look never mind sit on it. I'll go again sometime next week (if my leg holds up - I had a chunk of calf muscle removed a week ago and it's not too clever). Anyway, their new shop is very impressive, and the launch 'do' was similarly impressive. My youngest girl won a Triumph T-shirt (about 3 sizes too big but she was still happy :)  )

Not sure I want to part with my 1050, I have it just right now and with a lot of money invested to get it that way I'm going to lose big time by trading her in - and for what? I guess I'll know when I take a close look at the explorer. They claim to have 11 orders right now but I'm guessing they are those refundable deposits which may or may not translate to sales. I'll be looking for a sharp deal if I'm to be convinced.
Blue '09 Tiger1050
Green '10 Scrambler

Offline Awfulquiet

• Tiger Newbie
Had a preview today!
« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2012, 08:05:48 AM »
Er.. I test rode it yesterday!

Hard to compare.. It's heavy, but that translates into being very stable in the corners. Don't really feel the weight though.

It's also rather quick, as the motor was brand new, I only revved to 3500rpm. But it's got torque!

The throttle is VERY light, little if any resistance. Easy to get used to, but a bit odd when starting out (I'm coming from an R1100R).

Of the Tigers, Explorer is the best, with the Tiger 1050 very close behind. 800 xc is too small and nervous. IMHO.

Offline NiK

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by nigelj [+]
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
They would be...you've been thinking about changing to one of these since the spy shots appeared in the papers...you're not going to be put off by little ol' me  :008:
Honestly, would my 1050 have remained flawless, I'd probably not be considering buying an Xplorer.
Still, I always loved my old Steamer, and this 1200 thing reminds me a little that trailie feeling that I surrendered to the 1050. Kind of a restart if you see what I mean ;-)
The world divides in two: those who own a Triumph and those who never tried one...