Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2008 Tiger still running 20163  (Read 1090 times)

Offline maya

• Tiger Master
Re: 2008 Tiger still running 20163
« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2011, 09:20:56 AM »
Mates, stop dreaming, you won't be able to reproduce the smoothness of a good carburetor system
in transitories, specially from idle to very small opening.
Think there is a potentiometer on the buttefly shaft, whose job is to detect the imperceptible
throttle opening change you want to apply when cornering in the streets or what ever.
When detected, the change info is sent to the ECU, which (tries to) sends appropriate information
to injectors, to add a small amount of gasoline, intended to match the exact amount of air the butterfly
allowed to enter a few milliseconds ago, at the beginning of the processus.
This chain of actions cannot be as efficient as ready-to-go A/F mixture produced by a carburetor system,
only waiting for the throttle opening to jump in and smoothly increase idle speed at time of reacceleration   :027:
It is like comparing analogic and digital.
Fuel injection needs a slight change in the way we ride the bike. Smooth transition does not exist any more.
Just open the throttle, and accept that there is a slack or a little shock in transmission.
As a compensation to that problem, FI will bring you outstanding improvements : very good mpg, cold start management,
auto adaptation of AF ratio when leaving plains to climb mountains, short term and long term trims, etc ...   :038:

Offline jono46

• Tiger Member
« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2011, 09:54:35 AM »
Thanks for being so optimistic!
I'd be happier with carbs if you could still use them. I never had any running or starting issues on my ZRX or old VFR. Emission regs have done for us all.
Still gives us things to play with and spend useless time on your laptop.

Offline nigelj

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Cheddington
« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2011, 10:13:03 AM »
jono...you're right that opening the airbox and changing filter won't in themselves help with the snatch...I believe these things work in combo a richer/better tune to give the bike the fuelling it really needs to be smooth. maya has it right though, we have to adapt our riding slightly to our EFI system as it just can't cope quickly enough with the tiny adjustments we want at slow speed/small throttle openings; clearly getting the fuelling right goes a long way to help.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that you may want to look at the BoosterPlug (sponsored link at top-right of the page). Lots of us have use one, and they do seem to work. I had one fitted and was very happy, but don't use it anymore, and don't really notice its absence (although with my recent surging issue - in another thread - I may refit the BP to see it it makes any difference!).

@dikman - thanks for that ref to Arrow Road for a stock bike. As I think I'll have to put the stock can back on temporarily so I can fit my new Givi rack (until I can sort out with paulvfr to make me a new bracket to allow me to use the Quill can with the rack), I was wondering which tune to use, as I expect I wouldn't be happy with the stock one, even temporarily!

Offline jono46

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: 04 August, 2011, 10:40:12 AM »
Nigelj,
I do accept what's being said by a number here on the forum. The only FI bike I've had that ran without any fuelling issues was a BMW K1200RS. That was so smooth it was like travelling on a magic carpet. Then again, it was a very big bike and was a different style of riding altogether.

I won't go with a BP as so many Tiger users seem to have been there, got some improvement, but eventually take them off again.
Once I pluck up courage to download alternative maps I'll try a few on the road and see.
It's manageable as it is but just spoils a good bike.

Offline nigelj

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Cheddington
« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2011, 10:53:47 AM »
As long as you're sensible about changing maps (i.e. only install ones that are suitable for your bike), and don't fiddle with the data in the tables unless you really know what you're doing, you won't do any damage. Jack Lilley in error installed a non-SAI tune in mine at the last service (even though I had the latest Arrow Race in there anyway...don't ask why!), and Triumph warranty's opinion was that no harm would be done! I expect you'd find one of the richer tunes a vast improvement.

Whilst you're fiddling, you may want to make sure your throttle cables are correctly adjusted without too much slack.

Offline dikman

• Non Active
  • Supreme Tiger
« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2011, 01:11:09 PM »
Maya, of course, is quite right, and my aim has been to minimise the snatch as much as possible (and part of this is getting used to the way the throttle operates) but I still consider it a bit of a pig when trundling along in slow-moving traffic!

Jono, there's not much else to worry about when loading a tune, it's fairly idiot-proof  :001:. Some of us remove the headlight fuse before hand, just to minimise the current drain, but if your battery is in good nick then it's not really necessary. As Nige said, if you put in the wrong tune by mistake on a stock bike it's unlikely to cause any damage, the worst that will happen is it might run a bit lumpy (technical term) or overly rich and stuff up your fuel economy.
'08 Tiger Blue (Gone but not forgotten).....replaced with
'08 Guzzi Breva (the lump).
'05 Opal/Tangerine T-100 Bonnie