Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlight Issues with Triumph Tigers and Safety  (Read 3089 times)

Offline mbtiger

• Tiger God
  • honda 919 .tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Borden, Indiana
Re: Headlight Issues with Triumph Tigers and Safety
« Reply #50 on: 25 February, 2011, 12:41:17 PM »
My dealer agreed to the fact the headlights suck. What is worse is to talk to Triumph Us of A. I talked to them one time. It sad that an other wise great bike has such an arrogant bunch of people working there , who's parents were not married!. It amazes me that there is NO customer care at all. I won't go into boring details but Triumph is following the rest of the world in regards to poor R & D and pathetic people skills.
Yes the lights can upgraded, But to HAVE to do it is wrong. How many bikes had the proper adjustment on the headlights from the factory ? I think Triumph should of at least fixed the problem in the 2nd or 3rd production year. The fact that they have done nothing at all does not speak well of their commitment to us.

Offline RedBird

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Tiger1050
  • City / Town: Stroud, Oklahoma
« Reply #51 on: 25 February, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »
IMHO, the fact that "everybody" knows how bad the lights are on the 1050 is a bigger problem than the lights themselves.  This is especially true when one has a "real" problem with a light malfunction.  One such problem that has been mentioned more than once on this forum is the chrome plating peeling off the reflector.  When one has this problem, NO HID unit will help.  There will be complete areas of NO light output.  Mine would illuminate a small area of each ditch on a two lane road--nothing in front of the bike.

When a warranty request is submitted, "no one" will read past the first line that identifies it as a warranty request for replacing a headlight unit on a Tiger 1050.  "They" immediately dismiss the request as just a complaint about the "known bad" headlights on the Tiger 1050.  I simply adjusted my high beam (thankfully it was still working properly) down and to the right, and kept riding while submitting more and more pictures of the problem dipped beam.  As I have said, finally someone read the warranty request and looked at the pictures and honored the request.  Actually, the headlights on the Tiger (when they are working properly and adjusted properly) are MUCH better than the headlight on my '03 Bonneville, IMHO.  I had no problems with the lights on my '07 1050 other than adjustment. 

Larry

Offline mbtiger

• Tiger God
  • honda 919 .tiger 1050
« Reply #52 on: 25 February, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
With the dip beam adjusted from factory it was inept to say the least when riding the hills. Even with it adjusted it is still not up to snuff. I have ridden two bikes with outstanding stock headlights. The 06HondaVFR and the yamaha R-1 (03) the whole dipped beam is garbage and I believe many motorcycle manufacturers skimp on the headlights.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 800
  • City / Town: Naas
« Reply #53 on: 25 February, 2011, 08:00:29 PM »
The bikes I've had and that I can remember having good lights, for their time;

Honda CBX 750 - twin headlights
Suzuki DL650 VStrom - Twin lights, Brilliant in fact.
Tiger 800, same setup as above, twin H4
Happily riding my Tiger 800

Offline mbtiger

• Tiger God
  • honda 919 .tiger 1050
« Reply #54 on: 25 February, 2011, 10:37:02 PM »
To tell the truth there is no real viable fix except for the smart gent who completely rebuilt the lights. HID's help but with the technology today Triumph dropped the ball.

Offline Solobear

• Tiger Master
  • Quantum in me fuit
« Reply #55 on: 26 February, 2011, 03:30:58 AM »
So far I've not ridden my Tiger at night... I work nights and to this point my duties have pretty much necessitated driving the car. But tomorrow I'm taking a day-trip to Greenville SC for the IMS bike show, and I'm planning to spend at least an hour riding home after the sun goes down. All these comments have me really wondering how well ( or poorly ) the stock lights will perform. Guess I'll know this time tomorrow...
 :007:
Had I known I'd live this long I would have taken better care of myself!

Offline dikman

• Non Active
  • Supreme Tiger
« Reply #56 on: 26 February, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Shouldn't be too bad as long as you only go in a straight line  :164:.
'08 Tiger Blue (Gone but not forgotten).....replaced with
'08 Guzzi Breva (the lump).
'05 Opal/Tangerine T-100 Bonnie

Offline Geldof

• Tiger Master
« Reply #57 on: 26 February, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Solobear [+]
So far I've not ridden my Tiger at night... I work nights and to this point my duties have pretty much necessitated driving the car. But tomorrow I'm taking a day-trip to Greenville SC for the IMS bike show, and I'm planning to spend at least an hour riding home after the sun goes down. All these comments have me really wondering how well ( or poorly ) the stock lights will perform. Guess I'll know this time tomorrow...
 :007:

If u have to travel on an unlit road, and you approach a corner.... my advice is get off and push it  :006:
Previous Bikes... FZR1000 Exup, FJ1100, FJ1200

Offline RedBird

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Tiger1050
  • City / Town: Stroud, Oklahoma
« Reply #58 on: 26 February, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
Copy the headlight adjustment page out of the Service manual and take a small screwdriver and good flashlight--you will likely need them.... :003:

Larry

Offline Solobear

• Tiger Master
  • Quantum in me fuit
« Reply #59 on: 27 February, 2011, 12:15:14 AM »
Geez, you guys are a rough crowd  :007:

I took just a little spin around the yard and dirt road I live on - the UNLIGHTED dirt road  :172:  I hate that road, but I had no problem seeing where I was going with high beams or low beams on. The lights aren't as good as my Goldwing but they aren't any worse than the lights on my V-Strom were.

I do still plan on adding some aux lighting, but somehow I doubt I will pop the $300 for the Denali lights from Twisted Throttle. I got to see a set on a static display V-Strom at the IMS show today. While they are nice and small, and appear well built, I don't see Three Bills worth of value in them.  :010:

Maybe I can dig out the box I stored away somewhere with a set of PIAAs in it :123:
Had I known I'd live this long I would have taken better care of myself!