Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Electical Mods and their effects!  (Read 832 times)

Offline 08bluetiger

• Tiger Pro
Electical Mods and their effects!
« on: 19 August, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »
1. Can an aux power outlet that has a fuse wired to the battery and that has never been actually used (ie nothing has even been plugged in) drain the battery? Even if the fuse has not blown??
2. Can a GPS wire, wired in to the Triumph GPS factory plug adapter (not hooked up to a GPS unit) drain the battery?

3. Can a GPS unit being used without anything in the Aux Power Outlet cause a battery to go from "perfectly charged" (shop managers claims) to completely dead (un-chargeable) after riding for 1 1/2 hours??

4. Can any combo of 1,2 or 3 cause the bike to overheat?

Any thoughts and input would me much appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline littlefield

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 10 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Clute, TX
Re: Electical Mods and their effects!
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2010, 03:08:14 PM »
The only way your unused aux connections could drain the battery is if there was a short that isn't flowing enough current to blow the fuse. Not very likely. If you're trying to diagnose a battery problem you could remove the fuses just to be sure. I've left my GPS on the bikes battery for a couple of hours at a time and not had a problem. They don't draw much current. Doesn't sound like any of this is should cause your battery to go flat.

Offline NiK

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »
To me, a battery gone dead AFTER riding means only one thing: faulty alternator and/or regulator (i.e. not current comes filling the battery).
The world divides in two: those who own a Triumph and those who never tried one...

Offline AnarchoXen

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Dirty Jersey
« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2010, 03:45:15 PM »
It does sound like a short or may a crimp in one of the wires at some point. I have my GPS direct to the battery with an inline fuse, no drainage issues when riding.
adam

Offline EvilBetty

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger ABS
  • City / Town: Kansas City, MO
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by 08bluetiger [+]
1. Can an aux power outlet that has a fuse wired to the battery and that has never been actually used (ie nothing has even been plugged in) drain the battery? Even if the fuse has not blown??

Asnwered by others above...

*Originally Posted by 08bluetiger
2. Can a GPS wire, wired in to the Triumph GPS factory plug adapter (not hooked up to a GPS unit) drain the battery?
Same as #1

3. Can a GPS unit being used without anything in the Aux Power Outlet cause a battery to go from "perfectly charged" (shop managers claims) to completely dead (un-chargeable) after riding for 1 1/2 hours??

No way...  sitting... maybe like #1 and #2.  But no way the stator/rectifier on these bikes could NOTkeep up with the MAXIMUM draw of any GPS.  You're only worry here should be heated gear and extra lights.  Or that hair dryer you were running from a power inverter.

4. Can any combo of 1,2 or 3 cause the bike to overheat?

No, no way.

Overheating is either a head leak, vapor lock, or a fan or sensor problem.

Battery drain is either a unknown short/draw, or a problem with your charging system.

« Last Edit: 20 August, 2010, 06:20:09 AM by EvilBetty »
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

2005 Triumph Tiger - Lucifer Orange - SOLD
2007 Triumph Tiger - Jet Black

Offline TigerSteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Scorched Yellow
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2010, 11:23:42 PM »
EB,

At the risk of asking some really daft questions....

1. You're not locking the steering but turning the switch fully to put the side/tail lights on. Easy done and if in a rush in daylight not easily spotted.

2. Shutting down using the handle bar kill switch and or in-gear + side stand but leaving the key turned and the system active.

3. Band new battery that isn't topped up correctly or older battery, typically 2-1/2 years old or more, and/or has been over charged, miss-charged (cooked) and has dried out to some extent.

It also occurs to me that after I shut mine down there are various beeps and buzzes that imply the ignition switch doesn't actually disconnect the battery but leaves the ECU to shut itself down. Maybe sticky relay somewhere. You really need someone with a meter and who knows what they're doing to work their magic.
Scorched Yellow Tiger + Palmer Screen, SWMo Bars & Givi E55 box.

Offline RedBird

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Tiger1050
  • City / Town: Stroud, Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2010, 03:13:57 AM »
YES, to all of your questions...IF you have a Triumph Service Manager's glasses on. :006:

Good luck,
Larry

Offline EvilBetty

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger ABS
  • City / Town: Kansas City, MO
« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2010, 06:22:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by TigerSteve [+]
EB,

At the risk of asking some really daft questions....

1. You're not locking the steering but turning the switch fully to put the side/tail lights on. Easy done and if in a rush in daylight not easily spotted.

2. Shutting down using the handle bar kill switch and or in-gear + side stand but leaving the key turned and the system active.

3. Band new battery that isn't topped up correctly or older battery, typically 2-1/2 years old or more, and/or has been over charged, miss-charged (cooked) and has dried out to some extent.

It also occurs to me that after I shut mine down there are various beeps and buzzes that imply the ignition switch doesn't actually disconnect the battery but leaves the ECU to shut itself down. Maybe sticky relay somewhere. You really need someone with a meter and who knows what they're doing to work their magic.

EB?

I could see 1 and 2 occurring less than occasionally, but I'm betting he's been fighting this a while.  If a Triumph dealer can't diagnose #3 they need a bonk on the head, or two.  Same goes for your last suggestion.  The bike is under warranty and should be sorted out by them promptly.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

2005 Triumph Tiger - Lucifer Orange - SOLD
2007 Triumph Tiger - Jet Black

Offline dikman

• Non Active
  • Supreme Tiger
« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2010, 09:05:49 AM »
Just to add my bit ( :164:), EB has pretty well got it (addressing the original questions). With nothing plugged in, there should be NO current drain. The only way you could have a current draw is if there's a wiring fault, which would mean a short circuit. If you had such a s/c, either the fuse would blow (which is what it's designed for) or the wiring would melt. Either way, you would not have a constant, steady current drain.

As for running a GPS, their current draw is pretty low, and would be insignificant while the bike is running. If the dealer is trying to tell you that is what's happened, one would have to question said dealer's qualifications!

And I cannot see any way on earth that the circuitry in question could have anything  whatsoever to do with the bike overheating!!

Has the dealer suggested this, or are you merely trying to rule out possibilities?
'08 Tiger Blue (Gone but not forgotten).....replaced with
'08 Guzzi Breva (the lump).
'05 Opal/Tangerine T-100 Bonnie

Offline bwf

• Ex Member
  • Tiger God
« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2010, 11:26:02 AM »
Use logical troubleshooting steps.

This will take the guess work out.

Put it on the battery cable, then if you have something, keep clamping elsewhere till you find it.

Digital read -out

DC Amprobe
http://www.johnstonesupply.com/corp/tabid/1783/default.aspx?product_group=1966