Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Guess I should properly introduce myself!  (Read 709 times)

Offline rhector

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007
  • City / Town: Columbus, Ohio
Guess I should properly introduce myself!
« on: 29 March, 2010, 02:16:31 AM »
HI!!!

It's been a looong month!  I picked up a 2007 Tiger just about a month ago.  So far this forum has been very helpful and the members on here are great.  Now that the dust is settling, I figured it's time to say hello.

I'm Russ from central Ohio.  I'm a fairly new rider who not too long ago bought a 2006 Suzuki SV650 and it was a great first bike.  I put about 5000 miles on the bike last season and tons of money into it making it my own.  Stupid, cause I turned around and sold it a year later.  :112:

I test road 15 bikes over that year and one of them was a 2010 Tiger SE at MotoGP in Indy.  I knew then that I could definitely live with that bike.  So I started my quest to find a good deal on a local used Tiger back in September.  Turns out to be quite a difficult task.  I finally got sick of waiting and decided to extend my search.  So a month ago I found one for sale in North Carolina, rented a pickup truck, drove 10 hours on a Thursday, picked bike up Friday morning and drove 13 hours back home.  Why 3 hours longer you say?  Blizzards in West Virginia mountains!

It was a completely stock black 2007 non ABS model with only 3500 miles and in good shape.  I got it for $6000 plus the $500 or so it cost me to pick it up.  

In the past month I have:
added OEM centerstand
added OEM handguards
added OEM heated grips with trail tech handlebar switch
wired garage door opener to kill button on above switch
added OEM aux plug
added 12v cig outlet to right infill panel
changed stock horn to FIAMM Freeway blaster low note (a tad louder, not sure if it was worth the trouble)
changed stock low beam to Phillips Motovision
upgraded battery since bike wasn't starting consistently
ordered and refitted missing bolts/parts
changed the oil and filter (hadn't been done since summer of 2007 at its first service!)
cleaned/lubed the gunked up chain

And finally, I'm in the process of changing the coolant.  Waiting for it to cool down.  I'm on my 2nd and final flush with distilled water.  Just have to drain and refill with coolant now.  I had to remove the coolant reservoir and clean it with hot water.  Probably 20 flushes as it was nasty sludge that many others experienced.  So after many many hours in the garage, I think the bike is much happier.  At least I know I am.

Seems like a lot of work and money already going into this bike and I haven't even put 150 miles on it yet.  But from the few short rides I have taken, I can just tell that we are going to be friends.  I plan on owning this one for quite awhile.  I think April is suspension upgrade month.  I'm a big boy and need stiffer springs.... which will probably make the bike feel taller than I want, so might have to get some lowering links too.  After that, I have a parts wishlist totaling more than 2K.  A little at time!

So again, hello and thanks for helping me get this far!  Lots of great info on this site!!

Here are some pictures after going through some horrible weather to get it home.  I've since stripped it down and cleaned it.

« Last Edit: 29 March, 2010, 04:29:24 AM by rhector »

Offline tigerballs

• Tiger God
  • Have Gun...Will Travel
Re: Guess I should properly introduce myself!
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2010, 02:39:31 AM »
Its all yours so you can take those banana bike reflectors off the fork tubes if you want. Congratulations Russ, you got a real good deal! I promise to try not to misspell your handle.
Sooner or later the other shoe will drop so until then I'M GONNA RIDE DA HELL OUT DIS SUCKA!:192:

Offline Norm

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Blaze Or
  • City / Town: Kelowna
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2010, 02:37:11 PM »
   :401:
  Sounds like you're well underway with the mods.
  Pictures show that it must have been a nasty drive home!

Enjoy your Tiger.  :031:
On a bike, no one ever asks "Are we there yet?"

quote: Canadian National Sportsmen's Shows

Online indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2010, 05:41:10 PM »
 :405:

Sounds like you found a keeper.

Don't forget to do the brake fluid.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline rhector

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007
  • City / Town: Columbus, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2010, 03:54:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
:405:

Sounds like you found a keeper.

Don't forget to do the brake fluid.

Hmmm.  Forgot about the brake fluid.  I've never changed brake fluid before.  Any tips?  The service manual shows a lengthy 33 step process and I didn't find anything on here using the search function.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Offline neil27

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »
Hi Russ,
Welcome to this great forum..... :401:

Well 23 hours drive to fetch a bike.... :020:

Looking forward to seeing the 'after' pictures of the Tiger..... :300:

Neil.

Online indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »
1  Vacuum pump with catchment container.
2 Hand vacuum pump with container.
 (put a clear tube 10-12inch) on bleeder.
3 Get a assistant to pump the brake,  hold it.
While you then open the bleeder valve, close valve.
Assistant now release brake.
Repeat.

I will pump the reservoir down, (do not let it go dry)
then refill.
Do that 2 or 3 times to clear wheel cylinder.

Best way is to completely drain it, but getting the system going by hand can be a real major pain.

Support the forum.   :031: