Author Topic: Chain oilers  (Read 3217 times)

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Re: Chain oilers
Reply #40 on: 20 January, 2021, 10:32:42 PM
Thinking aloud:

So, lets say you make (or buy) an oiler with a solenoid. That ensures control which you can modulate and no dripping at standstill. Now, the sky is the limit. Why oil your chain continuously? The lube just needs to be applied from time to time. How about making it switch on during brake application from the tail light? That would ensure application when you are running slower so less fling? Or put it on a timer? A squirt every 15 minutes, and off when the bike is not running? It seems that it could all be made a bit more logical and be tuned to one's needs. The flow could be increased to match the sporadic nature of the application? Not that I'm going to do it, I have the can of Champion lube and it works a treat for me. Does get me thinking though. I have an unused space under the seat that could house a reservoir and solenoid, etc. easily.......... :164:

Solenoid like this rated for oil:

https://www.toolots.com/2p025-08-dc12v.html?cid=10270212950&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqPrFpc6r7gIVAqCGCh2JSAAdEAQYAiABEgKuOPD_BwE   
Last Edit: 20 January, 2021, 11:01:38 PM by ZuluTiger

Offline Kevmax

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050
Reply #41 on: 23 January, 2021, 01:05:24 AM
I have one of these oilers for a good while now and I think itís the 🐝 knees. It stops when I stop. The faster I go the more it puts out. Hardly any oil fling on the back wheel.

https://motobriiz.com/collections/frontpage/products/automatic-motorcycle-chain-oiler?variant=37641408053420

Offline JohnnyWheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger SE (red)
  • City / Town: Jackson, Mississippi
Reply #42 on: 24 January, 2021, 11:51:10 PM
I feel like I'm missing something on the whole Scott Oilers thing. I need proponents to help me understand what I'm missing...

I don't commute by motorcycle - the office is only 7 miles and 12 minutes away, and given the COVID shift to work-from-home it is quite possible my commuting days are over; I may work from home for the rest of my working days (another 2 or 3 years). That said, I ride day trips on weekends and a very occasional longer holiday trips.  I've been using Dupont Dry Chain Lube for years. It is a self-cleaning teflon lubricant that has no mess, no oil slinging about. A quick squirt every 500 miles and that's it.

So, for those of you who use automatic oilers, please educate me. I'm always looking for a new mod for my Tiger  :015: so if there's something to be gained I'll go for it.

JW
-----------------------------------------------------
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #43 on: 25 January, 2021, 12:05:33 AM
If its working for you don't mess with it. Installed an oiler on my Tiger at the time I was commuting almost 200 miles per day in the UK winter. Now I have it it can stay - but if I did your riding I probably would not bother.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #44 on: 25 January, 2021, 03:01:54 AM
My Tiger has no use for an oiler as it survives fine using can lube. However, I began seriously looking for an alternative for my KTM1190 as it needed oiling every 100km's or so. I can only assume the gearing made it work hard. It got really noisy unless oiled regularly so was fast becoming a candidate. Luckily I sold it before lockdown so the problem went away.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #45 on: 25 January, 2021, 07:22:26 AM
If you don't long distance tour, happy with what you do & get 30k+ miles from a chain kit, why change. I guess that dry lube keeps the x ring seals supple somehow.

My Ariel FH has oem built in chain oilers, 3 of them, they also act as an excellent preservative. So I was used to having this antiquated idea for 25 years before buying a modern day road bike without. Very strange, I thought.

My first Jap traillie was a 2 stroke, didn't trust the automatic lube system, bound to go wrong, so it got converted to pre-mix & used the oil pump to lube the chain. Marvelous for washing off Derbyshire mud.

That first modern day road bike was a '94 900 Sprint, first tour of Ireland with all its liquid sunshine & loose chippings needed so much chain cleaning & oiling, I came home & researched chain oilers. I chose the Scottoiler for its little & often cleansing ability. Would I dream of going touring without an oiler. Would I feck.

The boy who toured Scotland with me in September, he rubbished oilers, he enjoyed getting his bottle of oil & paint brush out each evening to lovingly turn the grit into grinding paste. After 2 weeks of him watching me watching him perform this modern day invention, I caught him sneakily inspecting my chain while mumbling & grunting obscenities.

I've fitted Scottoilers on all my bikes since that first one, currently on 3 bikes, the other, my Ariel, as said, doesn't require such nonsense.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline shi_bumi

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: İzmir
Reply #46 on: 25 January, 2021, 07:50:47 AM
Main reason for me to fit an automatic chain oiler is boredom 😁 Tiger Sport is the highest model bike i have ever owned and it has almost every feature i need. I work part-time due to this terrible pandemic. So lots of spare time. I need something to occupy myself 😆

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #47 on: 25 January, 2021, 11:18:14 AM
I bought one of these a couple of years back, but didn't fit it  :015:
https://www.cobrra.co.uk/nemo-2/
Apart from mounting the reservoir on the bars (I was going to put it down next to the rear shock) it seems like a good idea, I guess give it half a turn every time you fuel up.
Looks like they (or the Chinese copies) can be had much cheaper these days.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #48 on: 25 January, 2021, 05:51:25 PM
I guess most auto oilers do the job but for me Scotty every time, simple not many moving parts if you want to be specific change the oil for different seasons/temps to assist with better flow,
first farkle on my list for any new bike, till I buy a shaft  :008:
fill it forget it  :028: till it needs filling again obviously  :015:

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
Reply #49 on: 26 January, 2021, 01:53:57 AM
Chain oilers were rendered obsolete the moment o-ring chains were perfected. And they've got better every year since. BMWs latest Diamond x-ring chain (actually developed by Regina and available from them for way less than what BMW charges) would be a far more sensible purchase than ANY aftermarket chain oiling system.