Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Accessory plug wiring  (Read 1082 times)

Offline 1050graham

• Tiger Member
  • mmmmm
Accessory plug wiring
« on: 08 July, 2009, 02:37:30 AM »
Can anyone answer the following question about the accessory wiring on the existing wiring loom as I have an auxilliary outlet to install somewhere.
It seems that the standard placement for the accessory outlet is on the left side near the engine mount and I have found the spare electrical connector taped to the loom up under the tank.  There is also (I am told) a spare plug in the fairing somewhere that is meant to power GPS etc.
My prefered location to fit the outlet is on the right hand side of the fairing opisite the bar heater switch utilising the GPS wiring. Has anyone done this and if so, is the existing GPS wire a similar size to the one for the outlet or would it need to be heavier gauge?

Cheers
Graham

Offline Terrible Noise

• Tiger Pro
Re: Accessory plug wiring
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2009, 07:39:51 AM »
I'm working from memory, here, but I think the GPS connector wire is 18ga. I put a powerlet socket on the left black infill panel and hooked it to the GPS line. I can't remember what 18ga gives you in terms of current capacity, temp rise, etc., but you should have a nice bit of amperage continuous with that. I've got some tables around here and could look it up if you want, or you could do an internet search.  What are you wanting to power with it?
?It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.? - Mark Twain

Offline Terrible Noise

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »
I just checked, and the GPS power circuit is shared with the accessory socket and the heated grip circuit. That's all on a 10A fuse (position 3 in the box). Not sure how much wire is packed around the GPS wiring in the main bundle under the tank, but I would guess you have quite a few amps to play with. Conservatively (very), the limit on current is around 2.5A. Realistically, you could handle quite a bit more. In any case, the fuse will probably blow long before the wires fry - that's what it's for.
?It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.? - Mark Twain

Offline 1050graham

• Tiger Member
  • mmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »
Thanks for the info. Can you recall wire colours etc? Might be better to fit the outlet in the left side fairing for ease of wiring and loop straight from the heater switch.
Will look further tomorrow.

Cheers.

Offline coach

• Tiger Master
  • City / Town: New Hampshaaaa
« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »

I mounted a Powerlet just to the right of the Speedometer on the vertical black panel (see pic). This keeps it dry and out of the rain even with my cut down screen.  I bought the Triumph GPS "pigtail" at my dealer (less than $20) that plugs directly into the 12 volt plug located behind the instrument panel. If you do not have heated grips you'll find 2 of them back there. The heated grips has 3 prongs the GPS take-off has 2. It is non-switched and "hot" all the time, so if you're using it for an accessory you will need to remember to turn it off, or just unplug the Powerlet when you stop riding. I mostly use it as a port to attach my battery tender.  300
North Conway, New Hampshire

2011 800 Tiger-ABS
2010 1050 Tiger-SE (sold) & 2007 1050 Tiger (sold) :157:

Offline ChrisLX200

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger1050
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
Mine's on the RH infill panel, makes no difference to routing the wiring which side but on the right there is no coolant bottle and also my HID cabling runs on that side. I used the GPS connector to provide power to the Powerlet socket and plugged my Garmin into that, then realised it was pointless to use it for that so hard wired the cradle to the spade connectors below the socket leaving the socket free for my Optimate. I also ended up with a spare powerlet socket + Triumph bracket so put that on the LH frame as well. I still needed standard 12V cigar lighter sockets for my phone charger so put a 3-socket adapter (it has a power on/off isolation switch) under the seat. Phone charger cable runs under the seat and up into the tankbag. Covered for all eventualities now I think  :001:
Blue '09 Tiger1050
Green '10 Scrambler

Offline dikman

• Non Active
  • Supreme Tiger
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »
You sound like a Boy Scout - be prepared (for anything!)  :008:.
'08 Tiger Blue (Gone but not forgotten).....replaced with
'08 Guzzi Breva (the lump).
'05 Opal/Tangerine T-100 Bonnie

Offline Terrible Noise

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by 1050graham [+]
Thanks for the info. Can you recall wire colours etc? Might be better to fit the outlet in the left side fairing for ease of wiring and loop straight from the heater switch.
Will look further tomorrow.

Cheers.

I'd have to go look the wire colors up, but you really don't need them unless you're tapping the harness in a place other than the connectors under the cowl. They're pretty obvious when you get in there.

Offline 1050graham

• Tiger Member
  • mmmmm
« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »
I found a wiring diagram that shows all. Thanks for all your suggestions guys. With a little ingenuity I think I can come up with something neat and functional.

Cheers
Graham