Random Gallery Image

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED DRL Strips  (Read 696 times)

Offline furysamurai72

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Rochdale, MA
LED DRL Strips
« on: 20 December, 2016, 12:07:27 AM »
I'm in the (very slow, very deliberate, very not high priority) process of taking apart a spare headlight assembly. With the goal being to install a set of bi-xenon (or maybe LEDs, that's up in the air too :P) Headlights. I want to have both sides working double duty. And I want to be able to see and be SEEN at night.

While I've got the headlight assembly apart, I was thinking of installing some LED strips inside the headlights. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has done something similar and what kind of LED strips they used. I've recently spotted these beauties on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Daytime-Running-Sunsbell-Flowing-Headlight/dp/B01M3153SZ/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1482189028&sr=8-17&keywords=LED+Strips+drl

They are combination white DRL and Amber blinker. Now the amber color would not replace my side mounted flashers (I plan on eventually replacing those with the Triumph OEM LEDs for the Daytona) but rather would augment them.

I'd love to see any pictures of anything similar.

Thanks guys!  :490:

p.s. if no one has done this, but there are people who are interested in seeing what the process looks like let me know and I'll try to put together a How-to. Just don't expect it any time soon, I'm not expecting to install the new headlight assembly any time in the next year, this is a long term project.

p.p.s. I've attached a hack job image edit of what I'm kinda sorta thinking.
« Last Edit: 20 December, 2016, 01:08:24 AM by furysamurai72 »

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Re: LED DRL Strips
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2016, 05:03:25 PM »
Cool idea which I will follow as you post.  I also like the idea of replacing the indicators with the OEM LEDs for the Daytona.  Do you have a picture or part number for those?
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline furysamurai72

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: 20 December, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by turtle [+]
... I also like the idea of replacing the indicators with the OEM LEDs for the Daytona.  Do you have a picture or part number for those?

I actually got the idea for the Daytona indicators from a post on this forum:

http://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,31999.msg353646.html#msg353646

That should have all the information for you including where to buy the indicators themselves as well as the flasher module.

Also for the record, I'm no longer thinking of Headlight integrated DRLs but rather mounting LED strips to the crash bars. They'll be white strips that turn yellow for blinkers. I got the idea from the 1st gen Ducati Diavel. I'm not sure what LEDs I'm going to purchase but I'll update as I move forward with it.

Progress on opening the headlight is slow, I worked on it for a while this morning but I really can't work out how to start getting that seal apart. I'm going to have to do some more research here and tackle it a little bit at a time.

Offline AnarchoXen

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Dirty Jersey
« Reply #3 on: 20 December, 2016, 07:45:34 PM »
I have LED strips on the hand guards. You can kinda see them in my pic. I think the name is switchback LED's.
adam

Offline furysamurai72

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2016, 07:53:37 PM »
My be all/end all plan is to have every light on the bike be LED. This will free up power for heated gear and/or accessories like a cell phone charger or hardwired GPS mount. It will also lead to better visibility from other drivers points of view. I'd also like to eventually wire up some kind of back up light because my driveway is unlit. I've got this idea in my head with a panel in the cockpit with a whole bunch of toggle switches. It would switch on and off running lights, back up lights, under body lights, engine lights, surround lights etc. But mostly LEDs are just awesome and I want to LED all the things. MOAR LEDS!

Offline MoPo

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 (2008)
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #5 on: 22 December, 2016, 10:10:11 AM »
I did something similar using my hand guards, rather than the headlight cluster, using a pair of switchback led strips. The effect in traffic has been amazing. At night the extra light they cast over the sides of the bike make it much more visible. They're wired into the indicator and marker light feeds.

Offline furysamurai72

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: 22 December, 2016, 02:58:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by MoPo [+]
I did something similar using my hand guards, rather than the headlight cluster, using a pair of switchback led strips. The effect in traffic has been amazing. At night the extra light they cast over the sides of the bike make it much more visible. They're wired into the indicator and marker light feeds.

Wow that actually looks awesome. Where did you get those strips? Do you have a link?

Offline MoPo

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #7 on: 22 December, 2016, 03:33:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by furysamurai72 [+]
Wow that actually looks awesome. Where did you get those strips? Do you have a link?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222079170683?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You can probably source something similar in the States. 30cm strips nicely cover the whole of a hand guard.

The only snag I found with them is that the silicon that the LEDs are fitted in sticks to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! I've ended up super-glueing the little plastic clips that came with them to the hand guards and sliding the strips into them.

Offline furysamurai72

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: 22 December, 2016, 04:14:34 PM »
Actually found some on Amazon for $15 for the pair. Will be purchasing after Christmas. I'll keep this post updated. Not sure if I'm going to install them unless we get a strip of unseasonably warm weather. Don't really want to spend much time out there trying to find all the right wires to splice into.

Offline MoPo

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »
The ones I got have 3 wires: Red to marker light live, Yellow to indicator live and black to ground. I cheated with the connectors and used Posi Tap.