Random Gallery Image

wSAM 0025

Views: 261
Posted by: xtian
in: xtian

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Strange goings-on with 1050 dashboard buttons  (Read 1965 times)

Offline capers1962

• Tiger Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 White
  • City / Town: Northampton
Strange goings-on with 1050 dashboard buttons
« on: 18 December, 2016, 05:01:58 PM »
Hi peeps!,

Today, the dash on my 2007 1050 started doing odd things - its never done anything like this before.
I noticed it with I filled-up and wanted to reset the trip, but when I pressed the buttons, the only thing that happened was the neutral light and the engine management light went out.
I also noticed that the neutral light is dim and flickering ...... bit like it's owner!!!!
I have attached a short video .....
« Last Edit: 18 December, 2016, 05:49:23 PM by capers1962 »
White (the fastest colour) 1050, Givi engine bars, triumph gel seat, main stand, heated grips, 3-piece luggage & hugger and Tiger Sport Headlight conversion.

Offline RedBird

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Tiger1050
  • City / Town: Stroud, Oklahoma
Re: Strange goings-on with 1050 dashboard buttons
« Reply #1 on: 18 December, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »
The video doesn't show you trying to reset the trip odo?  There have been switch problems caused by moisture damage to the switches and/or the printed circuit board holding the switches--at least this is what I have read on this forum.  Indy has repaired at least a couple of these if my old memory is correct, and a few people have replaced the switches.  I have not had any problems with the dash on my '08 so I can be of no help with diagnosing switch problems.

What happens when you push the middle button and the right button simultaneously and hold them for 5 to 10 seconds to reset the trip odo?

Larry
« Last Edit: 18 December, 2016, 05:25:11 PM by RedBird »

Offline capers1962

• Tiger Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: 18 December, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »
I know the video doesn't show me trying to reset the trip, but the same thing happens when I do try.

The thing that get me is that there was no early indication that there was an impending problem - literally, one day they worked and the next, they didn't.   :027:

Feckity feckity feck feck! I can see where my Christmas money is going .......  :172:
White (the fastest colour) 1050, Givi engine bars, triumph gel seat, main stand, heated grips, 3-piece luggage & hugger and Tiger Sport Headlight conversion.

Offline alpha1050

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Stockport
« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2016, 07:40:39 PM »
Exactly the same symptoms happened to my clocks some time ago. I replaced the 3 button switches and re-soldered the PCB all to no avail. Ended up selling it sold as seen and getting a replacement from the good 'ole USA.
2007 Tiger 1050 Scorched Yellow
20614 via TuneECU,De-Cat,TOR.
Airbox Mod,K&N,19t front,Lowering Kit
Fender Extender,Twinlight Driver3

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #4 on: 18 December, 2016, 07:55:55 PM »
Not cool... :151:  And, as I understand, replacing it will mean accepting some arbitrary odo mileage captured in the new display.  Hope you can find one.
« Last Edit: 18 December, 2016, 07:58:13 PM by ZuluTiger »
I never lose.  I either win, or I learn...

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 18 December, 2016, 09:45:57 PM »
Depending on your electronics capability, the unit can be taken apart and the switches replaced - there's a fair bit of 'how-to' in the stickies here.

You can also, and at the same time, solder in the wires for a remote switch on the handlebar, which several people (including me) have done, and these can work even if the original switches don't.

But first take the unit apart and check for water inside - a very common problem - more likely from condensation from lack of use - especially if stood outside in damp environments (i.e. most of the UK). If it's like this, then most probably it's worth sourcing and soldering in new switches.

Otherwise they sometimes come up from breakers on eBay. But you risk the same problem without checking inside first.

Dealing with is best left to a period when the bike might be off the road anyway. Especially if you're sourcing new handlebar switches from China.

One thing not to do is play a heat gun over it (as one non-Triumph M/C dealer has been known to do. You can easily distort the plastic face, and jam the rev-counter needle in the process. Then it's a new cover as well .....  :151:

Offline capers1962

• Tiger Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »
OK, time for an update ....

I have had an expert have a look at the PCB - he does qualify as 'expert' because he designs and builds PCB's for a company who do stuff with the military.

He has performed continuity checks on the tracks he can get to and found no breaks or high resistance; he also did a visual inspection with his high-powered microscope looking for PBC cracks etc - again, nothing found ..... so far its not looking good  :110:

Now, the only thing he can't do, is power the unit and see what happens.
I've asked him to remove the buttons and check / test them, but I suspect that the dashboard is R.I.P and I'll have to get a replacement.

I can still use it, I just cant change the display settings ..... :027:

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • MELTING "YELLOW SNOW" FLAKES
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
Used one, or just go old school.

Offline capers1962

• Tiger Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2017, 07:42:24 PM »
p.s. I thought I read somewhere on here about the type / model / specs for the tactile buttons, but can't find it now.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please .....

Offline alpha1050

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Stockport
« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2017, 07:46:47 PM »
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2017, 07:49:07 PM by alpha1050 »
2007 Tiger 1050 Scorched Yellow
20614 via TuneECU,De-Cat,TOR.
Airbox Mod,K&N,19t front,Lowering Kit
Fender Extender,Twinlight Driver3

suigeneris