Random Gallery Image

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: HID Lights VS LEDs  (Read 471 times)

Offline OldNavyGuy

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
HID Lights VS LEDs
« on: 14 December, 2016, 09:43:40 PM »
OK, here's the new thread that we should have started instead of diverting the thread regarding "Starting Dilemma"

*Originally Posted by OldNavyGuy:
I don't know if there is a big difference between bi-xenon and HID, but I had the HID on my bike, and disliked them immensely. Perhaps there was a problem with them, but each time I flipped them from low to high beam, it took several seconds to achieve maximum brightness. They also buzzed. I went with the JBQ LED lights and have never regretted it. Brighter light instantly, less power usage, no buzz! Go with the LEDs. You'll be glad you did.

Furysamuri72 Replied:
Did you use HID lights in the original reflectors? From what I understand, it's the reflectors in the bike that are the issue, not the bulbs themselves, and therefore using better and brighter bulbs with crap reflectors still yields crap light. Also as far as the bi-xenon from retrofit labs, there is one bulb and one reflector for each side, but there is a piece of medal mounted to a servo that pops up and blocks the top half of the lights to create a low beam state, then that blocker is removed for high beams. So there would be no waiting for it to get to full brightness, because the Bulbs are already at full brightness, nothing about the bulbs change state. This is the right way to do xenon and HID in general because the way the gas lamps are constructed, you're not supposed to turn them on and off frequently.

Offline OldNavyGuy

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Re: HID Lights VS LEDs
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2016, 09:56:55 PM »
I bought my Tiger with the HIDs, and if I had to guess, I'd say they were the original reflectors, so perhaps not apples to apples.
One BIG thing to consider is this:
If there is some electrically actuated doodad in there to raise & lower a shield for high & low beam, is it serviceable without completely disassembling the whole headlight assembly again? Because that sure was a PITA! The unit needs to be thoroughly sealed after the job. Since JBQ doesn't (yet? - when I bought mine, he didn't) produce mounting brackets to put the LEDs inside the headlight assembly, he did provide me some pictures of a completed working set, so I made my own and it can be done so that the entire LED lamp can be removed for replacement and even aimed using the original parts. On his suggestion, I decided to install some micro (computer) fans in the bottom of the assembly to keep the LEDs cool. They are also removable without disassembly.
« Last Edit: 14 December, 2016, 09:58:54 PM by OldNavyGuy »

Offline furysamurai72

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Rochdale, MA
« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2016, 10:41:15 PM »
Yeah that's something I hadn't thought of. I'm not sure because I haven't started taking my extra headlight assembly apart. Can anyone with the retrofitlab Bi-Xenon kit installed chime in here? Do you need to crack the headlight assembly again in order to replace the solenoids? Has anyone had a solenoid failure?

This is a very long term goal of mine. I haven't even set up a work space in the basement yet to start fiddling with my extra headlight assembly. I'm hoping to have the new headlight assembly upgraded and installed by the beginning of, or very early into, next winter.

Offline VABird

• Jack-Be-Quick
  • Approved Vendor
  • Bike/Model: 12 T-Bird,08 Tiger1050
  • City / Town: Virginia
« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2016, 10:42:36 PM »
If I thought that there was enough interest in this modification, JBQ would gladly produce the parts.
Like OldNavyGuy and others have said, disassembling the headlight nacelle isn't easy. That being said, the whole project is a HUGE improvement over others I've seen, though I admit, I have not seen the Tiger Sport swap.

Offline furysamurai72

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2016, 10:50:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by VABird [+]
If I thought that there was enough interest in this modification, JBQ would gladly produce the parts.
Like OldNavyGuy and others have said, disassembling the headlight nacelle isn't easy. That being said, the whole project is a HUGE improvement over others I've seen, though I admit, I have not seen the Tiger Sport swap.

I'm actually really a fan of the aesthetics of the projector style headlights. Plus staying with the projectors leaves room for some LED running light/ turn signal strips inside the headlight housing. I'm heavily considering doing a strip of White LEDs for DRL combined with a strip of Amber LEDs to be in addition to the external turn signals. Something to completely set my bike apart from other tiger 1050s. I know it sounds ambitious, but that's why I bought a spare headlight housing. This way I can take my time and do the lighting upgrade right, and do it exactly the way I want it, without needing to rush in any way.

Offline Carey

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Central PA
« Reply #5 on: 14 December, 2016, 11:40:17 PM »
Here's my experience with headlights.

My Tiger had HID on low beam when I bought it.  I thought it was bright enough until I went for a night ride.  It was OK, but not confidence inspiring.  Especially compared to my friend FJR that I was following.  This was HID with OEM reflectors.

I added some Komy LED running lights and that helped, but they weren't too focused.

My next step was Tiger Sport headlights.  This was a big improvement and I thought I was done, until I replaced the OEM bulbs with LED bulbs.  Wow, this is how headlights should work.

My current ride has OEM LED headlights.  I've only have limited night riding with this bike, but I think they will work out just fine.

I once owned a car with OEM HID and those lights were great.  They were motor driven and adjusted up/down if I was going up a hill or down.  One of the plastic drive gears in the motor broke, and I didn't want to spend $7-900 for a replacement assembly, so I safety wired it in a fixed position.

Online seangee

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2016, 09:18:23 PM »
Can't believe that Triumph didn't go for LEDs when they brought out the 16 model. Sure they are pretty good for a bike with Halogens (I upgraded mine to Extreme Vision bulbs) but they are pretty ordinary compared to my car's LEDs.

When I went bike shopping LEDs were very high on my list of nice to haves. The only bike on my short list with LEDs was the Honda and that wasn't enough to make me pick it. If the Beamer had them that would have been enough.

But feel free to take this as notice Triumph. My next new bike will have LED headlights as standard so you know what you need to do to be in the running.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline furysamurai72

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »
It has begun. Went into the basement today to do some laundry, and managed to "accidentally" set up a picnic table (previously folded up and leaned against a wall) and start tinkering with the headlight (previously still in the box I received it in months ago). Totally accidental. I swear I really did go down there with the intention of doing laundry.
« Last Edit: 15 December, 2016, 10:45:33 PM by furysamurai72 »

Offline VABird

• Jack-Be-Quick
  • Approved Vendor
  • Bike/Model: 12 T-Bird,08 Tiger1050
  • City / Town: Virginia
« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2016, 02:23:11 AM »
I can certainly understand the confusion.  :015: but...
...that's the easy part.
Just wait 'til you start prying away at the silicone seal.
GO SLLLOOOOOOWWWLLLLYYYYY!!!

Offline jamiesk

• Tiger Pro
  • City / Town: Ipswich
« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »
I did this .... http://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,30838.0.html

I have NOT sealed it again, I just put tape on it. I have mounted the balasts in the headlight too.

Just go slowly and I knifed out most of the kit.

The "electric flap" to move the light from dip to high beam is wired up to the high beam. The balasts take the low power feed. I put in a few gubbins to stop the light coming alive until I flip to high beam.

I did this about 2 years ago and I have not had to replace anything yet. Touch wood !! Good luck.
Puch Maxi pedal power moped,FS1SE, CB125,RD350F new C-reg powervalve (1Aug85), H100 for commuting after the above went, CB250N and a "new" engine after 2 years commuting. Then I got rid of other half, not married but might as well have been :( and got a RGV250 about 2 weeks later :) , KLR650, FZ750, TDR250, RD350F2, DR650, Fazer600 written off after 6 years, SLR650, XL1200N, GSR600, 21March14 Toni the Tiger 1050 :)
Keith

suigeneris